Thread: seasonal jobs

Question seasonal jobs

most of the flying jobs that i see are seasonal do the pilots there get unemployment during the winter the way farm hands do down south i want to move there eventually and i was also wondering if anchorage would not be the best place in alaska to find a flying job for a newbie i would appreciate any advice

Default Grizzly 1

Quote Originally Posted by cguerrant View Post
    most of the flying jobs that i see are seasonal do the pilots there get unemployment during the winter the way farm hands do down south i want to move there eventually and i was also wondering if anchorage would not be the best place in alaska to find a flying job for a newbie i would appreciate any advice
    I'm not sure these days, but I doubt it. Unless times have changed, the seasonal pilots are flying on something of a contract basis. That makes them "contractors" rather than "employees." As such, the air taxi or lodge operator probably dies not withhold taxes, etc. You might check directly with one of those potential employers. Many are found in ALASKA MAGAZINEE as advertisers.

Default Where they go

Lots of guys just take the winter off, or work for a mechanic fixing planes all winter. Trust me, You work you BUTT off all summer, you need the winter to recover. Been there done that!! Other guys just do odd jobs to make it until summer again, or they eventually get hired by someone that works all year. I have heard others that go down south to the islands and fly down there. Just some options.

Hi:
    I think times have changed. I've worked as a guide, and now as a pilot for fishing lodges in SW Alaska for the last 18 years. Everyplace I've worked for has paid all of their staff as employees. Taxes and all the usual stuff taken out.
    On the original question of what pilots do in the off season, from what I've seen, it varies a lot. I don't know anything about unemployment opportunities. I drive a truck delivering heating oil in the winter. A lot of guys I work with fly further south during the cold months.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 1 View Post
    I'm not sure these days, but I doubt it. Unless times have changed, the seasonal pilots are flying on something of a contract basis. That makes them "contractors" rather than "employees." As such, the air taxi or lodge operator probably dies not withhold taxes, etc. You might check directly with one of those potential employers. Many are found in ALASKA MAGAZINEE as advertisers.

The pilots in the Bethel operate year round. But who wants to fly full time in the winter up here?

I fly all winter. This coming week, it's probably going to be a little fun getting started in the morning with the temperatures which are forecast. Once you do get going, however, climb above the ice fog, the cabin heat kicks in and you get the first look at the rosy glow of dawn on the peaks....there's nothing like it. I wouldn't trade it for anything.....Louis