Thread: help my throtle is stuck wide open

Default help my throtle is stuck wide open

So a friend and I went to Hatchers pass toaday and it was great, nice wether, ok snow and clear. We made it a few miles, just short of the mountains and my throtle stuck wide open.

I am new to snowmachines and have no idea what the problem is.

The sled is a 99 RMK 700. All stock with v force reeds. Can some one help me out here.

I had this happen a couple years ago. I was out riding with a buddy at -20. I was on my '02 Summit 700. That sled in order to get it to start I always had to hold the throttle in as I pulled it over. Well I got stuck, shut it off. Got out and went to start it and hold the throttle wide open. Like a champ it started first pull and shot out like a bat out of hell. Running wide open down a gully up the other side and out of sight.

All happend to fast that I just looked at my buddy and shrugged my shoulders and hopped on with him and followed the tracks for about 1/2 mile. Sure enough it found the first spruce tree it could find. It was about 2 feet around and stopped it dead in its tracks. Many trips to snowmobile salvage and 2 weekends in my buddy's shop we had it back to normal. The thing has a tether switch but I never used it until after that . Now I do. HAHA!! Anyways it happend again the next year. Finally narrowed it down to the carb slides sticking wide open when the temps dropped to -20 or colder. Expensive lesson to learn. Glad you didn't have a runaway sled like I did though.

Iced throttle cable would be the first guess...might try to get some methanol into it somewhere. Then replace the cable.

Default Slides, I'll bet!

Just a leetle bit of condensation in the carbs due to a cold snap and they will stick in the carb cylinders. They pull up, but won't go back down. I smashed in the door of my wife's car this way one time.
    Screw off Carb caps, pull out slides, spray with WD40 and replace (carefully). Should be good to go. Wouldn't hurt to make sure you are running red HEET in your fuel, or that wonder solution: SeaFoam.

Since the Polaris throttle safety didn't kill the engine I'd assume it's a cable issue. If it was carbs the safety circuit would have killed it.

If you where busting a lot of powder and having it come over the hood you can get icing in the carbs that will make them get stuck.
    I have had that happen to me often. Have a couple of bottles of iso helps.
    You can pour it in the carbs and put in the gas.

Default Iced slides

If you take your sled in and out of a warm garage you will get condensation in your fuel. If it's cold the first thing to stick will be the slides. Warm up the sled someplace with the cowling open, (might take a few hrs.) If the slides go back down and the throttle starts working there's your problem. I always use iso-propal no matter what. If your out someplace and buy gas you don't know how long it's been in their tank. A above ground tank can draw condensation due to warming during the day and cooling off at night. 2 items I always carried was octane boost and iso-propal. (the regular Heet will make your fuel lines brittle) another item wouuld be a tether swith and check it everytime before you go to take off somewhere. Sleds and you are expensive! Good luck..

Default Garaging machines

I've been told by folks that taking a machine in and out of a garage is not a good thing, as it produces condensation in the working parts and the fuel system. They strongly assert that keeping a machine covered, outside for the duration of the winter is better than taking it in and out. Others brag that their machines are garaged between forays into to cold. I don't have a garage, so the point is mute to me, but I have noticed that I seem to have more problems with water in my fuel after it has been in a heated shop, and then goes back into the cold.
    What do you all think?

re: garaging machines

The trick, so I was told, is to start the sled and let it warm up to temp before letting it cold soak.

On a side note: When trailering don't forget to switch your fuel stopcock to "off"

Helps prevent carb bowls from overfilling from being jostled and then flooding later.