Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ice auger help needed...

Default Ice auger help needed...

Not sure where to put this but here goes...

Brand new Jiffy 3hp stx...Only had it for a few weeks...
    Only about 100 holes drilled (one tank)
    This turkey has always been difficult to start. It simply won't start unless I hold the throttle wide open. That hasn't been a big deal but still doesn't seem right.

But now it's running rough at full throttle, basically it idles fine, when I just open the gas it wants to die. If I feather the gas until wide open it will run good for about 1 to 3 seconds then it wants to die.
    If I feather the gas again I can get the blades spinning fine for another few seconds. It was a pain to get just 2 holes drilled today.

I got it home and dumped the gas and replaced with fresh. Checked the plug and it was a nice chocolate brown. I fired it up without the auger attached and held it wide open. It would run wide open as long as I held it but it would surge. I could watch the throttle body pulsing from wide open to about 3/4 open. Similar to an engine in 'limp mode' or somehow governed. It would surge at a rate of about once per second as if I was doing it with the throttle lever myself but I was just holding it wide open.

I noticed 2 small red plastic screws. I assume those were the idle adjustments. There is only about 120 degrees of rotation available. The left screw seemed to adjust the low idle. When turned all the way clockwise it wanted to die, but all the way the other direction it idled fine. At full throttle in my garage without the auger attached, adjusting the right hand screw seemed to have no affect on how high the motor would run and had zero affect on the 'pulsing' or 'surging'.

Any ideas ?....And yes, the vent cap was open on the gas tank..
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Did you take the choke off after warm up?
    My Strikemaster has a similar affliction. It needs to warm up for a couple of minutes, turn off the choke and let it run for a few more minutes. Only then will my auger be ready to go. If I go to use it earlier it will sputter and cough when I give it gas.
    So try letting it warm up a little longer, if it still has issues get it looked at under warranty.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

for some reason my eskimo shark z71 runs with the choke set at halfway. all the way closed it will sputter and die too. maybe an elevation issue?

tjm,
    doesn't sound like you are getting enough fuel wide open, under a load. I am wondering if somehow a piece of debris, dirt or sand got into the carb. Is it a new auger, or used? If used, it may have some gum in the carb.

Also, have you noticed a difference when the outside air is cold or warm?

With the color of your spark plug, it seems the mixture is about right.

I just bought a used auger the other day, and I did have to have full throttle w/choke to start. So, I am not concerned with that part.

Anyway, good luck.

Thanks for the replies fellas'...

Yep the choke was off and engine was warmed up..i was tinkering with it for quite a while on the ice...lol...

Funny thing is, since new, it won't start with the choke on at all, and it will only idle for about 10 seconds with the choke on 1/2 when first started....

Here has been my startup procedure since new...prime fuel, pull cord about 5 times without any choke or throttle....prime again, hold throttle wide open and pull 2-3 times until started...turn choke on 1/2 and let idle until it starts to die..turn off choke and let it warm up for about a minute....then drill....
    pull my finger....

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    tjm,
    doesn't sound like you are getting enough fuel wide open, under a load. I am wondering if somehow a piece of debris, dirt or sand got into the carb. Is it a new auger, or used? If used, it may have some gum in the carb.

Also, have you noticed a difference when the outside air is cold or warm?

With the color of your spark plug, it seems the mixture is about right.

I just bought a used auger the other day, and I did have to have full throttle w/choke to start. So, I am not concerned with that part.

Anyway, good luck.
    you may be on to something...while the engine is surging if I use my finger to hold the gas open it runs fine...it almost seems as if the spring isn't strong enough to hold the throttle open ...

it is a new auger but I wouldn't doubt if something is clogged somewhere...I'm not sure if the load matters, It was acting the same with the auger not attached....just not sure what to start taking apart first...

it was -14 below on Finger Lake yesterday and I though that maybe it was the cold too....but I left it in my garage last night and it did the same thing today while running it in the garage....

thanks for your input ... any Jiffy service places in AK?...lol..
    pull my finger....

Where did you buy it from?
    No authorized service centers in AK.
    I would take it back where you got it (if in AK) or contact Jiffy about your issue and see what they will do.
    If it wasn't new and uder warranty I would already have the carb dissassembled on my kitchen table.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    I would take it back where you got it (if in AK) or contact Jiffy about your issue and see what they will do.
    If it wasn't new and uder warranty I would already have the carb dissassembled on my kitchen table.
    I got it at the Sportsman's in ANC.....Only place I could find that carried 'em...I will go talk with them about an exchange tomorrow but I'm not holding my breath, I think they had a sign up that said "No returns on Augers"...

They'll probably tell me to contact Jiffy but it sure would be cool if they just swapped out the power head for me...so if anyone here can pull a few strings at SW I'd owe ya one...
    pull my finger....

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    tjm,
    doesn't sound like you are getting enough fuel wide open, under a load...

Yup, I had the same problem, my auger didn't want to stay running unless I primed it, i took it all a part and found I had a piece in my carborator, right where my fuel flowed through, take your carborator all apart, you should be able to find the problem.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Through it down the hole and get on o them ones with the crank handles they start every time your arm is moved and they keep you warm.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    Yup, I had the same problem, my auger didn't want to stay running unless I primed it,
    Primed?..do you mead just feathering the gas or actually pumping the little primer?...

i took it all a part and found I had a piece in my carborator, right where my fuel flowed through
    piece of what?...just your typical junk from the the fuel station or a piece of something?...

It seems like I'm going to have to do like you did and look for something wrong with the carb.......I'll hold off until I check with the folks at sportsmans and see if they'll do an exchange....keep my fingers crossed..
    pull my finger....

Quote Originally Posted by mit View Post
    Through it down the hole and get on o them ones with the crank handles they start every time your arm is moved and they keep you warm.
    I'm half tempted to do just that...lol...but let's see how long it takes you to drill one of these with your arms.......it took me about 10 minutes...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    pull my finger....

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    Primed?..do you mead just feathering the gas or actually pumping the little primer?...
    Pumping the little primer.

piece of what?...just your typical junk from the the fuel station or a piece of something?...
    It was some tiny, microscopic piece of crap that was keeping my $200 dollar auger from fuctioning properly. Funny, the littlest things hold up the biggest.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

It was some tiny, microscopic piece of crap that was keeping my $200 dollar auger from fuctioning properly. Funny, the littlest things hold up the biggest.
    I hope it is that simple...I know I have to get it replaced/repaired soon...I've got some pike to chase too........I'll let you guys know if I find anything tomorrow..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    pull my finger....

Surging is usually caused by running too rich, not too lean. Is the spark plug sooty? In other words, can you wipe soot off the electrodes after you take the plug out? Check your choke and make sure the linkage/springs is all correct and that it's not trying to close all the time.

I got my auger used and it's an older one. It runs fine, but for whatever reason, you have to start it the right way. You have to shut off the choke, give it a couple of pulls (and it'll fire and die once), then turn the choke on and start it. If you just leave the choke on and try to start it, then it won't start. Holding the throttle open or closed doesn't seem to make much difference. Doesn't matter. Every small engine smaller than around 5 hp or so tends to have a little 'personality' that you get to know and then things work fine. My chain saw is the same way ... choke off, pull a couple of times, choke on, pull and it fires a little and dies, then choke off and pull and it runs fine from then on. Once started in the morning, it starts with a single pull for the rest of the day. Go figure.

Brian

Um My initial thought was it is choking its self out. 2 things come to mind 1 the air filter and 2 the exhaust. Check to make sure your air filter is clean. If it is check if your exhaust is clear. A constricted muffler can cause what you describe.

I'm half tempted to do just that...lol...but let's see how long it takes you to drill one of these with your arms.......it took me about 10 minutes...

Holy crap! Batman: why are you doing that?????????
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tananaBrian View Post
    Is the spark plug sooty?
    Brian
    Perhaps a little.. the end of the plug was not oily but was brown, the threads did have quite a bit of oily residue that I wiped off...I then brushed off the entire plug with wire and replaced....

Quote Originally Posted by tananaBrian View Post
    Every small engine smaller than around 5 hp or so tends to have a little 'personality' that you get to know and then things work fine. Brian
    I hear you there...I have tried to 'get to know' my auger but I think that it might be bipolar or suffering from Multiple Personality Disorder......lol...

Quote Originally Posted by big_dog60 View Post
    2 things come to mind 1 the air filter and 2 the exhaust. Check to make sure your air filter is clean. If it is check if your exhaust is clear. A constricted muffler can cause what you describe.
    I have not checked that yet..I will take a peek tonight...thanks for the input..

Quote Originally Posted by mit View Post
    Holy crap! Batman: why are you doing that?????????
    My attempt at fly fishing for pike in the winter...pulling streamers is a little more exciting than watching tip ups...(my buddy kicked my butt that day with his tip ups..lol)
    pull my finger....

well bad news for me on retuning it to SW...they won't touch it once it gets gas in it....looks like I'll have to tinker with it a bit myself to get it going....I'll check the intake/exhaust like suggested...if you guys can think of anything else fire away...

thanks again guys...
    pull my finger....

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

sportsmans should open a service shop imo. pretty crappy that they can sell a brand new product and then not have anything to do with it even if its the manufacturers fault. they can be cleaned up, i know my eskimo was test run before it was shipped to sportsmans.
    Last edited by akriverrat; 12-15-2008 at 17:08. Reason: added to

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast