Thread: 136" or 144" track 600?

Default 136" or 144" track 600?

I'm looking for a new or used machine, I think a 136 or 144" track would be best for a all around ride most places 600 cc machine,

Comments?

You are pretty much right on. If you are going to be spending more time in the mountains the err more towards the 144, more time on the trails then err towards the 136. For me I ran a 159 on my AC 800 and didn't have any problem learning on it. All my friends rode the mountains and honestly the big track allowed me to keep up as a noob since they were all running 135-144. On the trails especially twisty ones they all flat out ran me. In short there is no one track that does best everywhere!

The new Yamaha's have curved rails to cheat a bit so a longer track will feel more like a shorty on groomed trails.

What LuJon said is very good advice. The 144" will give you a smoother ride also.
    Polaris used the tip up rails also. I have them on my 800 rmk with 151" track.
    Good luck with what ever you choose.

Quote Originally Posted by Badriverman View Post
    What LuJon said is very good advice. The 144" will give you a smoother ride also.
    Polaris used the tip up rails also. I have them on my 800 rmk with 151" track.
    Good luck with what ever you choose.
    I have to disagree. After riding 121", 136", 144" I have to say that the 121 is by far the smoothest on the bumps. And riding the exact same sled except for one was a 136" and one 144" I'd give the comfort edge to the 136". However, with the new suspensions out now even the longer tracks (144-155") are more comfortable than the 121s of 7-10 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    I have to disagree. After riding 121", 136", 144" I have to say that the 121 is by far the smoothest on the bumps. And riding the exact same sled except for one was a 136" and one 144" I'd give the comfort edge to the 136". However, with the new suspensions out now even the longer tracks (144-155") are more comfortable than the 121s of 7-10 years ago.

Both my dad and i will always go for the 144 or longer. It will bridge a lot of the bumps. Plus it gives you more flexibility in deep snow and overflow. We have both a 133" and a 144" length tracks.
    The 144 is way more comfy and better if you are going to tow anything at all.

I agree if towing the longer tracks are the way to go. However if you are just trying to get from Deshka Landing to Lake Creek in under an hour then I'd take my 121" over my 144" anyday of the week. But I do agree that the 144" is more versitle. My next sled is gonna be what Reilly has. The 146" Polaris Assualt.

You mention you want an "all around" machine. If that's so then you want a longer track. 144 or thereabouts is a good balance between flotation and maneuverablility. The snow in AK get's deep. Unless you're staying on the beaten path religiously, a longer track along with the longer paddles they usually come with, go along way towards keeping you unstuck longer. (you will get stuck--we all do)

I don't think most guys would recognize any difference between 136 and 144 in most conditions if they tried both tracks on the same sled. 136" models are usually crossover sleds. 144" usually starts the mountain sled class. What you want to do with the machine should be considered and the track wouldn't be the deciding factor for me. If you look at a 136 crossover versus a 144 mountain sled the biggest difference will be the front end width and the presence or absence of a sway bar. If you want to cruise the rivers the wider front end and sway bar on a crossover sled will be more important than a few inches of track length but you'll work a little harder turning it in the deep snow. If you want to ride deep snow in the hills you'll appreciate the narrow front end and lack of a sway bar on a mountain sled but the ride will be less stable on packed snow, especially when turning.

Mr Pid hit the nail on the head. My 08 Summit had a sway bar on it and I took it off, the difference in steering is incredible. I'll never have another machine with a sway bar on it. You can also adjust the shocks to compensate for trail riding but I have yet to do that and my machine rides great in the mountains and on the trails.