Thread: Bank Fishing for Kenai Kings

Question Bank Fishing for Kenai Kings

This will be my first summer in Alaska and of course the legendary Kenai River is considered the mecca for king salmon anglers around the world. However, it sounds like this fishery is almost exclusively a boat show.

Are there places along the Kenai or Kasilof that offer public access for bankies? If so, what are some productive methods for targeting kings from shore? Seems as though plunking with a spinner, spin-n-glo or kwikie might trigger a strike. At least this technique works well on certain sections of the Columbia and Willamette.

Default Bankie

Kasilof is probably your best bet for this weekend if you are looking for a chrome dome. Bait is open and eggs are your best bet off the bank in the crooked creek section "people Hole".
    Kenai bank fishing is possilbe in a few sections, your best bet while bait is still not allowed is around some of the city parks. Good bank access and usually long enough that you can find a good spot in the hole.
    Plunkin is a great technique
    Good luck and have fun

Default kings from shore

Without knowing the river very well, I'm thinking of putting my kayak in and paddling to a place where I don't have combat competition, on a less-used section or area of the river. Does anyone think I could get a good spot this way, and is there any private property or other rules I should be on the look-out for?

all navigational (is that a word?) rivers are fair game only the banks are owned. Kasilof is pretty good place for Tomcat. Go to crooked creek, and watch the folks fishing. Also buy a fishing map of the Kenai to get some idea of where to fish. Find the college hole, and I think you MIGHT be able to land a King there. Or the fly only area of Moose River would work. You can swing it out of the main flow to the slower water of the moose. Still as always check the regs. Expecially on the moose. College hole should be a good bet though. Good bank access lots of shoreline, and not to many people fish it. (relative term there.....not to many) I don't normally fish the Kenai for kings, I do fish these spots for reds though, and have been told both are good (for kings, I KNOW they are good for reds). I fish the valley for Kings. Tight lines!!

Smile

Greatly appreciate the insightful information and words of wisdom. Sounds like there will be plenty of new places to explore this summer. With any luck I just might catch a fish while I'm at it.

Default kings on the kenai

I once caught a king on the banks of the kenai--it was mainly luck, cause the fish went up one side and down the same side--if he had gone in the middle of the river, there's no way I could have landed it. Be sure to check regs and see if someone can direct you to a quiet part of the river. good luck! laurie

I know its doable hard but doable
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Can be done

While some of the more popular areas for bank fishing the Kenai have been closed in recent regulation changes (i.e. college hole), there are still areas where it is possible to catch from the bank. Here are a couple of the more popular spots:

Cunningham Park, Centennial Park, Swiftwater Park, Morgan's Hole

You will need very strong tackle and hi-test line. The balance is being able to cast, and yet have the backbone to manhandle the fish.

The fishing from the bank on the Kasilof at People Hole (confluence of Crooked Creek and Kasilof River) can also be productive, but the success rate has been on the low side over the last few years.

There is no doubt however that fishing with a boat will greatly increase your odds of hooking and landing a Kenai King.

Cheers

Default Kenai Kings from the bank?

Some are obviously a little better at it than others. This guy even succeeds with a flyrod! All from the bank!

I hooked my biggest king from the bank on a hand-tied coho fly at this very same spot when I was 13 yrs old. This is now private water owned by Great Alaska Fish Camp at the mouth of the Moose. Lacking the sophisticated gear and unique fish-fighting technique of this Ninja Salmon Speymaster, I actually had to jump into an incoming boat to finally land my fish just above the mouth of the Funny River (more than 5 miles downriver from where it was originally hooked!)

BTW by posting the above video, I am not condoning his handling of landed fish (including a totally illegal lift out of the water at 2:07). Just wanted to show that obviously some guys just know how to get it done!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone."
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Geez! I wonder if that was all in a days work. Pretty Good video, wish I could understand the language to hear what he was saying.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

His name is Ichi and he stays with Great Alaska Adventure Camp at the mouth of the Moose river on private property. I used to work for them and by far it is the best place to catch kings on a bug rod. I was there for those videos and there was a ball of about 100 kings in front of the property where you could not reach from the park. He uses a 2 handed spey but casts it like a normal rod, pretty crazy.

Yes, that spot is by far the easiest place to catch King Salmon from the bank. The mouth of Funny River use to be a place you could have similar luck if you hit it right, but fortunately the confluence is closed during King Salmon season now. There are other places that provide a decent chance at hooking a king from the bank, but without a boat, the salmon really has to cooperate in order to land it. OR, you need a spot with lots of walkable/runnable bank to follow the salmon as it runs downstream. Centenial Park is as good a place to do this as any, and a legend is growing about a group of Kiwi's that come here every year and land dozens of kings from the bank in a week's period. I've talked to them about it, but have never actually had the pleasure of witnessing this feat.
    With all this being said, unless you are staying at Great Alaska at exactly the right time, your odds drastically increase when you step into a boat.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

I know a good spot.......private property but a very good spot. My 6 year old caught a 31 lb king last year on a bobber and eggs. During the right time of the year over about a 2 week span we do well, better than Great Alaska, we can use bait, they are in a fly only area.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    I know a good spot.......private property but a very good spot. My 6 year old caught a 31 lb king last year on a bobber and eggs. During the right time of the year over about a 2 week span we do well, better than Great Alaska, we can use bait, they are in a fly only area.
    Come on dude!

Didn't happen without a pic.

Let's see the proof.

Or I could just post it for ya, if you give me the thumbs up.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone."
    The KeenEye MD

Ichi is The Man!

How come there were no boats in that video? What's up with that?

That piece of water is exclusively bank-only, fly-only.

Gut-bombing those fish with eggs from a powerboat is expressly forbidden.
    The KeenEye MD

Default Last day of the season

I witnessed this guy battling his King on the last day of July this year while bank fishing for Reds. It was an unbelievable contest. He had one shot at getting it netted and luckily the guy with the net didn't miss.
    Attached Images Attached Images

#5 Mepps Aglia Long, copper blade.

It's more about fishing water that holds fish than what you use. Look for eddy seams along the main current.

I released one that was 54"s long from the moose river 8 years ago. Definitely a good fight. Almost lost it in the current a couple times. Landed and released.