Thread: Don't know how to put this in "Proposed Forums"

Default Don't know how to put this in "Proposed Forums"

I wonder; would it be possible to start a forum on making and maintaining your own gear?

For instance: there are threads on making sleds, threads on making fishing gear, threads on making camp stoves, threads on making bed rolls from hides, threads on making outriggers for canoes, etc. These threads are scattered all over the place in various forums, but it would be really nice to see them in one place.

There are some of us out here who enjoy making our own gear. Some enjoy keeping old equipment running/working. Some of us just can't afford to run down to the local dealer or Sportsman's Warehouse or REI to buy expensive new gear.

Imagine someone posting their step-by-step pictures on how they put a new transom in a boat, or perhaps made a cabin on a skiff, or how they built a wood dogsled, sewed a wall tent, built a driftboat, made a new rack for their snowgo, found a better way to make a drum stove for their cabin, or rigged or modified a shrimp pot a different way... the possibilities are endless, and there is tons of expertise out there we as a community could gain from.

Maybe there is a way to have dual postings, so that the guy who shows off his Kenai salmon de-hooker on the fishing forum could also have it in the "Make it/Fix it Forum" (just an idea) as well. What do you think?

I like the idea. We had a forum like that about 8 years ago for cave diving. Some of the inventions and creations from that forum are the leading edge of diving gear now.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

This would be a great forum.
    Chuck

David or Brian,

Is it possible to make this happen? There's lots of great info on this topic that would combine for a great forum. Everything from boot dryers to beaver hats to fishing rigs. Think of the possibilities
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Lightbulb Interesting idea!

This is a pretty interesting idea, really. I like it. Let us give this a bit of a think.

Any other thoughts on this, pro or con?

Thanks for the idea! David

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

I think an how to forum is a great idea, I take a lot of pm;s on how to repair things around the house and cabin projects as well... a lot are just on tools i have Modified, for one guy to get a big job done...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thumbs up i like this idea!

probably the best "new forum" proposal i've seen.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I move we form a committee to discuss forming a committee to move forward on this project.
    Chuck

Default Bumping this

Have a few projects I'd like to post that might make a few people's experiences a little easier or enjoyable.

David, if we go through with this, how about making a sub-forum like the glaciercraft boat owners forum. Since this is making your own 'gear', how about the sub forum under Outdoor gear?

I agree hunt ak. I would support that as well as a mod/refurb section added to ATV, Snowmachine and Boat forums. I would love to see these threads have their own place so that they can be easily accessed without a lot of clutter.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I agree hunt ak. I would support that as well as a mod/refurb section added to ATV, Snowmachine and Boat forums. I would love to see these threads have their own place so that they can be easily accessed without a lot of clutter.
    Oh yeah! A mod/helpful tips/etc. section to ATV/snowmachine/boat etc. would be awesome!! Get more ponies, save more gas, make it last longer!

Sayak, I think this is a great idea!

In fact, they could call it "home spun" or something along those lines and include home remedies for ailments no?

I have been attempting to battle my own condition with concoctions I am finding on the net. But, have had little success.

It would be great to see how devil's club gets used. Heard about it forever, but have yet to meet anyone with a bottle of it.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-