Thread: teaching scouts how to clean a rabbit

Default teaching scouts how to clean a rabbit

a scout troop has asked me to do a demonstration on small game hunting for there meeting. I was thinking of demonstrating how to clean a rabbit.
    To do this I was going to take a rabbit that I shoot on Saturday and put in the freezer whole for the meeting on Tuesday.

Has anyone ever froze a rabbit whole then cleaned it later? is this a good idea?

shouldnt be an issue.. there not eating it.. just thaw well .. should still peel right off..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

If it's inedible... next weeks lesson: trapping 101

Should work. What method are you going to use? Are you going to do a full on skinned for hide salvage or a down and dirty tear the hide off get to the meat for butcherin?

I was asked to teach them how to find game that can be used as a food source in the winter. I'll give an example of snares as well as types of guns and where to find the rabbits. So I'm going to show them the down and dirty way for cooking. The plan is to cook some the day before so they can have a taste test as there wont enough time for a full cooking demonstration.

Default Small game demonstration

The demonstration went great. I shot five rabbits at my spot this weekend and cooked them yesterday for the scouts to eat. We talked about whet you can hunt in the winter and where to locate them. I kept one rabbit for them to clean at the end of the demonstration. The older kids seemed to enjoy it more then the younger kids but it when as good as it could go.

Sounds like it was a success!

Default Well Done

Nice job little Dave,

Hopefully you inspired a couple future hunters in your group.

Default won't be forgotton

this lesson will not be forgotton by those boys..
    scout meetings come and go.. but a lesson like the one you gave will stay with them forever..
    good job and thanks for your service.
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Thumbs up Absolutely!

Ditto - No way to really say it any better!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskacanoe View Post
    this lesson will not be forgotton by those boys..
    scout meetings come and go.. but a lesson like the one you gave will stay with them forever..
    good job and thanks for your service.
    Max

Great read. i taught a new friend of mine how to clean a rabbit recently as well. he had never been hunting in his life. now he is one of the 1st guys i call when its small game time. working him up to the big game by gut shooting a cuple little guys for effect. ha ha...

Quote Originally Posted by little dave View Post
    The demonstration went great. I shot five rabbits at my spot this weekend and cooked them yesterday for the scouts to eat. We talked about whet you can hunt in the winter and where to locate them. I kept one rabbit for them to clean at the end of the demonstration. The older kids seemed to enjoy it more then the younger kids but it when as good as it could go.
    Great Post, as a scout leader on the Peninsula it's great to hear fellow hunters helping teach these young men. Scouting is as American as Hunting so keep it up and if anyone else out there has the opportunity to help out a scout troop, I urge you to do so, it is quite satisfying and teaches these young men valuable lessons.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." John Wayne