Thread: Picture of a King rig I tied

Default Picture of a King rig I tied

Well this is my first run at tying a Kenai King rig. What should i change? I used 30lb Trilene XT and a 6/0 hook up close to the Spin N Glow and a 7/0 hook for the other hook. The hooks are Gamakatsu octopus hooks. Are the hooks the right distance apart? Give me all the feedback you have! I will be fishing the Kenai the end of July. Thanks for all your help! I really hope i run in to some of you guys in my 11 days in AK!
    Attached Images Attached Images

You need to "amputate" the point off the upper hook.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Done! First hook snipped below the barb. Just wondering why have two hooks if one is snipped? any help you can give an FNG would be great!

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    Done! First hook snipped below the barb. Just wondering why have two hooks if one is snipped? any help you can give an FNG would be great!
    The upper hook is for your baut loop only.
    The bait goes there and the trailing hook is what hooks the king.
    Without bait on the second hook there is nothing to interfere with the hook up.

Regs allow only ONE single-point hook.

Back in the day, when two hooks were allowed, most guys noticed that that the bottom hook caught the fish at least 95% of the time.

With the advent of the "new" reg in 1999, the Kenai amputee was born.

Top "hook" holds the bait, while the bottom one catches the fish.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    The KeenEye MD

Does anybody take the time to go with Eagle Claw or something like that on the front hook and use Owners or Gamis on the back?

To me, the trailing hook seems pretty far from the bait 'shank.' My rigs are usually for smaller waters, but I tie the tailing hook in so its eye is at the bend of the top hook.
    Jim Creek - Home of the burning car hook cast!

Default my 2 cents

I do not use the clipped first hook/ trailer rig on the Kenai. Found that by using more beads between the hook and the spin n glo that it had the same effect and plus did not have to tie two hooks and then clip one of them off.
    As far as sucess rates I personally have not seen a higher percentage success ratio between using "more beads" or clipping the first hook so for me it was not worth the extra time or expense in tying the two hook set up.
    Normally use three or four beads to get that desired length between the spin n glo and the hook with hook size depending on the time of year, water flow, if I am catching n releasing, or planning on putting one in the box.
    A #7 gama is my standard hook size in July. I have to admit that when you get a fish over 50 pounds that the size 7 gama is looking a little small but how can you gear for a 80 pound king seeing as how there are only a few of these big guys around? Better to gear for what is most readily available and do your best if you get lucky enough to hook into a hog!

It seems no matter how many beads I put on with a single hook the hook will still hang at a 30-40 degree angle. When I use Doc's "amputee" method and cut the top hook the bottom hook trails straight back. I know prior to doing this I sure seemed to miss a lot of "short strikers". Me thinks it was the angle of the hook more than it was fish that didn't like my eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by tcman View Post
    It seems no matter how many beads I put on with a single hook the hook will still hang at a 30-40 degree angle. When I use Doc's "amputee" method and cut the top hook the bottom hook trails straight back. I know prior to doing this I sure seemed to miss a lot of "short strikers". Me thinks it was the angle of the hook more than it was fish that didn't like my eggs.
    tcman is spot on about the hook resting at a cock-eyed angle when fishing bait with a standard single rigging.... no matter how many beads you stack on there.

The "amputee" rigging allows the bottom hook to trail back straighter, fully exposed with or without bait, leaving the hook point in the ideal orientation, ready to nab those short-strikers.

If you aren't fishing bait, then it makes no difference... just use more beads to get that hook to hang back. But if you are fishing bait, the amputee rigging is a better way to get that hook back.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The KeenEye MD

Most of the Kenai River guides that I know do not use the amputee rig. However, each to their own or prefered method. It is much better if everyone is not using the same color, fishing the same spot, using the same bait, etc. In other words if it works for you than enough said.
    I will say that you can get the angle out of your hook/bait to spin n glo if you vary how you tie the egg loop and which side (up or down) of the hook you finish your knot on. Trust me if I thought that I could catch one more king a year using the amputee method I would do it in a New York minute and I even get "free" hooks so that is not a issue with me.
    Yes, I tried cutting the top hook off for awhile after the single hook regulation went into effect but it just didn't improve my catch rate over looking at how I was tying the egg loop in a method to get get rid of the angle.

Quote Originally Posted by iceblue View Post
    I will say that you can get the angle out of your hook/bait to spin n glo if you vary how you tie the egg loop and which side (up or down) of the hook you finish your knot on.

I was tying the egg loop in a method to get get rid of the angle.
    Interesting concept... you've got my attention.

Care to share your tying method and the technique for baiting the hook to eliminate the off-kilter angle of the baited hook? Would really like to see that.

That's the beauty of it... there's always something to be learned in this piscatorial pursuit.

The KeenEye MD

For those who have never seen one in real life, here's a pic of a freshly baited Kenai Amputee to demonstrate the desired "hang-back" effect that maximizes exposure of the hook.

The KeenEye MD

I second FNP's request. I would love to find a way to tie the egg loop without creating angle.

Ok we have had some really intelligent questions, now its time for a stuping question. What holds the eggs on the hooks. What keeps them from just washing off?

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    Ok we have had some really intelligent questions, now its time for a stuping question. What holds the eggs on the hooks. What keeps them from just washing off?
    An egg loop knot is used to tie the hooks on and a chunk of skein is slipped under the knot.
    See this link.

http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/r...bumperknot.htm

What weight sinkers are most commonly used for drifting the Kenai for Kings? I know that varies on water levels etc but what would you make sure you had in your box when you went out?

Two's... three's tops for draggin'.

If you want to try something a bit more of a hands on challenge, give backbouncing a go.

You'll need a bigger assortment of weights for the ever-changing flow in tidewater... four's to twelve's, but most of it can be done with eight's or less.
    The KeenEye MD

FNP thanks for the tip. i will do a search on back bouncing. I drift 90% of the time for Walleyes so that at least i have done before. I will stock up on a bunch of different weights, heavy on the two's pardon the pun. Thanks again FNP!

From mid July on it will be 2.5 or 3 ounces. Sometimes use 2 ounces early in July when there is not as much flow. You will find that you should go a little heavy rather that a little lite to make sure you are getting down to the deep spots such as the grove behind Eagle Rock.

As far as how to tie a spin n glo egg loop and not have that angle I already gave you the clue. Everyone ties the egg loop a little different some with more wraps, some start under the hook, and some start on top of the shank. I notice that when I start on bottom and finish with a twist around the shank that I do not have a angle when a add bait to the loop. However I have to get the egg loop pretty tight on the shank right up to the end. Wish that I could explain it better.