Thread: marten boxes

Default marten boxes

I can't decide on which one to get either the plastic flower pots or the mail boxes for 120's. Is there an advantage to one or the other, does anyone that uses them get more marten when using one or the other?

I've experimented with all of it and since I found the flower pot I don't think I'd go back anyother way except for using gear I already have. They are light, cheap, stack well, inexepensive and work well.

Default Flower Pots got my vote!!!

Can put one up fairly quick now. They are light, stackable and cheap. Can be hung in a tree and even used as a ground cubby. AT
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

Thats good to hear, i was leaning towards the flower pots. What size pot works good for a 110 or 120 and how do you hang your bait in the pot when doing a vertical set in a tree?

I have both on my line, but prefer the flower pots. My line is strctly a walk-in affair, and the pots stack nice and are very light. I have about 90% vertical sets. Use a MB Coni bracket about a 1/2" in front,(below) the pot. I use a roofing nail through the lip of the pot into the tree, Then nail a 5 pennt nail a couple inches above the pot.
    I take a piece of 16 gauge wire about 6" long, run it through a golfball size chunk of bait, and run it up through one of the holes in the bottom of the pot, then twist it around the upper nail. This makes the pot very stable and allows quick re-baiting, as needed.
    The pots I use are about 5 or 6 inches across, just right for 120.

The pots are the 300 classic. You just wire the biat in.

Default Trapperman.com

Head over to the Wilderness Forum and go to the Marten Thread in the Archives. A wealth of information and a great bunch of guys. New members are always welcomed.

AH (aka Arctic Trapper/Trapperman.com)
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

thanks for the help, i think i'll go pick up some of them 300 classics. Will post some pics if i get anything.

Where can you find the 300 classics?

Default Question on set-up

can someone post a pic of this Marten set-up with the pots? I think I have a Marten on one of my sets for Fox, and was thinking of putting a set up in there for a Marten.SO Im clueless to any type of Marten set-up.

Daniel,

Here are a couple of pics of how I use the pots. I don't have any close up shots but these will give you the general idea. I use the Classic 400's. I cut two L shape notches in each side, slide the springs from the 120 into them, fold over and the trap is secure.

Pass it on, take a child hunting, fishing or trapping.

cool beans Im getting the idea.So the 120 is in the pot and when the marten triggers it.snap, crackle dead huh? Another question.......is there any scent usage as well with Marten? Thanks again for the info and help.

Default Heres one....

When set properly the trap and flower pot become one. Basically, the pot opening is large enough to accomadate a set 120 coni. It takes a little practice to get the coni set within the pot, but once set theres no chance the trap will fall out of the pot, except when a marten fires it off. All you do is bait your pot before setting the coni then wire it to a tree. Throw a little lure out and your off.

Heres a before....

And after....

Yeah, I know I should have set that up a little higher, luckily no damage was done...
    AH
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

AH.......thanks a million that truly helps me understand whats going on now, pretty dang cool before and after pictures also..........COOL!

Thanks for all the pic's. Been wanting to do this for a long time. Looks easy enough, now I just need to make time and set some traps. Again, nice job with the explanations and pics really make it easy to understand.
    BK