Thread: 2nd Red Run 09?

Default 2nd Red Run 09?

Hey guys, I'm taking my father in law out for his first trip to AK and I'd like for us to fish the Russian during the 2nd Red run. Could you guys help me out and give me an estimation of the approximate date in order to make reservations at the RR campground?

Thanks!

Default end of july

end of july is my favorite time and the only time i take a break from bows to slay some reds.. always good from the 20th to the first of august for me!

especially on the middle.

Well, I guess I blew it. I should have planned this earlier. I'll probably just be fishing the first run since there's still a few sites left. Do you think the fishing will be decent on opening day?

Default You didn't blow it yet

Russian River reservations may be made up to 6 months in advance. The system isn't accepting reservations for the second run yet. It is just now allowing reservations for the beginning of the first run.

As for timing, I prefer the first 2 weeks of August in that river for the second run. There are way less people; however, you do need to pick through the old "spawned out" reds to get the fresher ones.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSWA View Post
    Well, I guess I blew it. I should have planned this earlier. I'll probably just be fishing the first run since there's still a few sites left. Do you think the fishing will be decent on opening day?
    Opening day can be real hit and miss. Generally speaking a week after opening day is as close as you'll get to "a sure thing" for reds.

LOL! I knew I was jumping the gun!!! I made my reservations for June 12 - 15th! Maybe I can cancel them and make reservations for the 2nd run later. My FIL is mostly wanting to fish for buts anyway. He doesn't like the taste of Salmon, but I'm sure he'd love to catch them. Anyway, it'll be more salmon or me!

It would be sure nice to to a combo charter for lings and buts, though.

Thanks for the head's up on the reservations for the RR!

You can always fish the last week of July on the Kenai lower river. That's about as sure thing as it gets. This last year was a pretty bad run and we still got lots of fish by fishing it harder. There's always camp sites available at Centenial if you go during the week. But when the weekend comes, there's not a campsite around to be found.

Quote Originally Posted by qkayak View Post
    You can always fish the last week of July on the Kenai lower river. That's about as sure thing as it gets. This last year was a pretty bad run and we still got lots of fish by fishing it harder. There's always camp sites available at Centenial if you go during the week. But when the weekend comes, there's not a campsite around to be found.
    I've never fished the lower Kenai. Could you give me some info on where and how to fish. I will check the regs also. Thanks for the idea!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSWA View Post
    I've never fished the lower Kenai. Could you give me some info on where and how to fish. I will check the regs also. Thanks for the idea!
    There's quite a few places to fish the lower Kenai. Centenial Campground, Swiftwater campground, River Bend, the Pillars. Just about anywhere you can find a spot on the lower river above Beaver creek is good. As far as method, a lot of guys like to use fly rods (8 wt or higher) spooled with 30 lb. mono. A coho fly or any other fly with lead approx. 2-4 ft. above the fly. Your simple flipping method will work. Alot of folks who fish the Russian River (1st and 2nd run) are actually fishing the Kenai River below the mouth of the Russian as the fish concentrate for the "push" up the Russian River. When you see a picture of combat fishing on a postcard, it is mostly likely a picture of the Russian as it flows into the Kenai. You can use baitcaster rod or spinning rod, with the same method.

John. settle down buddy. Ill give you a call this week and get you all set up
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    I know how he feels. I am getting the shakes just thinking about those monster Kenai reds and bows.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    LOL, Chuck! Whew! I feel much better now

Default A couple of observations...

I've nowhere the experience of lots of the guys here, but here's what I've found the last 10 yrs:

1. I fished the 1st run (opening day) on the Russian 3 years in a row, did great each time.
    2. Get a flyrod (I'm sure Chuck may steer you in the flyrod direction; such a blast!)
    (you don't even have to know how to "fly" fish!)
    3. Don't get too manipulated by fishing reports or the possibly low numbers of reds
    entering the river (Kenai, if you fish it); last year (as already stated) the numbers
    were low but we fished almost every day. Had to put time in and not every day gang-
    busters, but you can't beat time spent on the water fishing!
    4. Once you taste & see Alaska, be forewarned that YOU will be hooked!
    Good luck!
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    I've nowhere the experience of lots of the guys here, but here's what I've found the last 10 yrs:

4. Once you taste & see Alaska, be forewarned that YOU will be hooked!
    Good luck!
    Jim
    He already is!!!! He was there twice last year!!!

Talking He is an addict now

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    He already is!!!! He was there twice last year!!!

John is toast. He got a taste in June last year and then we ruined him in september. He is all ready gearing up for Fishaplooza 09 september 13 though the 27th. Bring it on
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

For you guys considering the lower Kenai for late-run reds...

http://www.cf.adfg.state.ak.us/regio...i/kesdaily.pdf
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Whoa! That's some interesting information! Thanks, FP!

Default I stand corrected!

The more "addicts" to the ranks, the better!