Thread: Burbot lakes?

Default Burbot lakes?

I live down on the Kenai Peninsula and we have no burbot down here. I have heard burbot are really good tasting and was wondering if anyone would or could tell me of a few places to find Burbot at?

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

big lake is the closest to the anchorage bowl that i know of. long lake on the glenn has burbot and if you want to get serious load up the snowmachine and head to nenana and hit the tanana. check your conditions first of course.

Default Not exactly true

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    I live down on the Kenai Peninsula and we have no burbot down here...
    There are burbot down here; they are just hard to get to. Lakes on the Resurrection Pass Trail have them.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

i think hidden lake is listed as having burbot but havent ever heard of any caught there.

Default also

for the most part, most of the lakes "around" big lake too also hold a healthy population of burbot. in the summertime they come and hangout by our boat dock, usually i see up to 20 in a school.

Hidden Lake is "Closed year-round to burbot fishing". Prevents people fishing 15 set lines.....oops, a giant laker!

Quote Originally Posted by fuhrerak View Post
    Hidden Lake is "Closed year-round to burbot fishing". Prevents people fishing 15 set lines.....oops, a giant laker!
    Hmmmmm, you would think that they would just limit the tackle rather than close fishing for the species. All they would have to do is limit you to two lines with a single hook on each...................problem solved. Then you could have fish and chips.
    Set a tipup with a dead bait and jig with the other.
    Jigging for burbot works quite well and you might just get that pesky laker too.

I don't think set lines are allowed on the Kenai Pen. So that might not be the issue.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Long Lake out on the Glen Hwy is good.

Default Burbot on the Penninsula

The only two lakes on the penn. that I know of that have burbot are Trout lake and Juneau lake. Both up resurrection pass. Trout is @ 7.5 miles Juneau @ 10 miles up the winter trail.
    Yes set lines are legal on the penn. for burbot. Limit is 15 hooks set on the bottom with hook gap of at least 3/4". Must have name and address on each line.
    Have caught quite a few burbot up there through the ice. They don't get very big up there though. 3# is a good one.
    These fish were part of a experimental stocking project by ADF&G many years ago.
    Unfortunately the new forest management plan for the Chugach says every other year is to be non motorized starting with this year. So unless you are a x-country skier, own a dog team or like long hikes with all your gear it could be tough this year.
    Probabnly not a day trip. But the cabins are real nice.
    Burbot primarily feed at night so set line are a really good way to go.
    Not sure on Hidden lake burbot. Other than the fact that the regs prohibit fishing for them there. Have never seen or heard of burbot being caught there but I might ask fish and feathers sometime to verify.