Thread: Mountain Goat Shot Placement

Default Mountain Goat Shot Placement

Searched for this but can't find a clear answer. If I missed it...my apologies. What is the suggested shot placement on a mountain goat to drop one immediately...through the lungs or shoulders? Shooting a 300 WSM w/ Winchester 180 grain silver ballistic tips. Many thanks for the advice.

Default drop in one shot

Well I would suggest the shoulder shot to break him down where he stands. But in my experiance a goat is a very tough critter and you never know if he'll fall or run and jump off any near by cliff. I have seen both situations. The best shot in my opinion is shoulder while hes in his bed. You might get luck and he won't roll or move at all.

Default goat shots

Any shot that clips both shoulders is a winner. I just shot one through both shoulders and both lungs. She dropped immediatley, twitched, and was dead.
    300 WM is more than adequate for goats.

Default Goat shot placement.

What I have learnt hunting Goats on Baranof Island , is that if you DON"T want your goat to fall from where he is standing, Heart -lung shoot him, he will soak up the shot ,and in "most cases" he'll walk and then lay down to die.
    If your goat is in cliffs and you want him to fall ,to make him accessible ,you need to take out his spine,this will take away his legs.
    There is many a time when you will have to leave the goat where he is,and pass on the shot,as you may never recover him. Goats are the most amazing of ALL big game animals in Alaska.
    That's just my thoughts.

Smile The loud crack

A rifle blast tends to scare game. I took a nice bliiy with a recurve last season that never knew I was there. I slid the arrow through both lungs he looked over his shoulder as he heard the release of the string, dismissed it, took six slow steps and decided to bed down for the last time. Just my two cents worth.

Wink You take the best shot you have offered!

Mountain Goats, in my opinion are the toughest animals alive to both hunt and kill. Most good goats place them selves in positions that only allow a small sight window at extreme angles. The best advice I could give is know your rifle on an intimate basis. Shoot, shoot, shoot and then shoot some more so that you can thread the needle when the opportunity arises.

This year all I had was a front on shot at 138 yards. Put the crosshairs high on the right front shoulder and squeezed off a 200 grain Speer out of my .300 win mag. The goat spun and I had just enough time to put another bullet completely through the goat and out the same shoulder as it was running away and dropped out of sight. Many times it only takes one step for the goat to be out of your sight and gone forever. Had a Booner at eighty yards this year who ducked out of sight in less than a second before I could line up on him.

Good luck and safe hunting, Bigmnt
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bigmnt; 09-24-2006 at 13:11.

Quote Originally Posted by Sitka hunter View Post
    There is many a time when you will have to leave the goat where he is,and pass on the shot,as you may never recover him.
    THAT is the BEST advice you canget on goat hunting.

As for shot placement, pretend they are bears and break bones!

Default goat advice

I have been lucky in Washington to have drawn 2 tags. They have been great hunts with 2 nice billies taken. The first one was shot in his bed at 30 yards with a 7mm mag thru the front shoulder. He took off like a bat out of hell. There was no blood in his bed. I found him 30 minutes later trying out his high dive skills on a cliff. I buried him with 2 more shots. He ended up upside down on a snag on a cliff. The second billy was double lung shot out of a herd a 25 goats. He ran off with the herd. I found him 3 hours later at the bottom of a rock chute 1/2 mile away. These animals, pound for pound, are some of the toughest in the world. I also like Art's advice. Be very carefull where you decide to shoot your goat. I will also say this. Use good common sense when goat hunting. No goat is worth your life when you are in the REALLY STEEP STUFF.

Good luck, and stay safe!

Bryan