Thread: Price check, FN Mauser action

Default Price check, FN Mauser action

I have a 1950's commercial FN Mauser action I was going to build a rifle on. I'm thinking about letting the action and parts go. The bolt is set up for magnum rounds. It was built as a 30-338 way back when.

Any idea what these actions are selling for?

Thanks for any info.

I sent you a PM .

Default F.N.'s

For alot of years I've been buying every FN I come across , Sears , etc. and don't hesitate to spend $400 on a rifle that's chambered for something I don't want , it's just the action . A bolt face thats been opened should be worth $100 .

My 'smith has a client hat wants an FN commercial action for a project, but it's going to be a 30-06, so mine won't work for him. He was willing to pay up to $350 for a commercial FN action. The 'smith has been looking for a year or more without success at that price. He said most have been in the $400 range or a little more. I was wondering how in line with the market that is? From Logmans post, it may not be too far out. CZ's and Santa Barbara's are less money, but the ones I've seen are not nearly as slick as the FN or finished as nicely. Mine was originally built by Fred Wells for a client, as inscribed on the 30-338 barrel that came on it.

I want to be fair, but not give it away either.

Default What trigger guard and trigger?

The trigger guard and trigger are an important part of the value.

Some of the Sears, H&R, FI, etc. had some pretty cheap cast pot metal trigger guard and some had much nicer miller guards, some were were even hinged like on the deluxe sporters.

The early FNs had simple triggers close to the military, the later ones had side safeties and were fully adjustable.

The best of the lot for magnum calibers were the early Weatherbys; I've never checked on but they are reported as being hardened to prevent setback.

The last FNs on Sears etc. I've seen asking in the $350 range but I didn't see any being sold either.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    My 'smith has a client hat wants an FN commercial action for a project, but it's going to be a 30-06, so mine won't work for him. He was willing to pay up to $350 for a commercial FN action. The 'smith has been looking for a year or more without success at that price. He said most have been in the $400 range or a little more. I was wondering how in line with the market that is? From Logmans post, it may not be too far out. CZ's and Santa Barbara's are less money, but the ones I've seen are not nearly as slick as the FN or finished as nicely. Mine was originally built by Fred Wells for a client, as inscribed on the 30-338 barrel that came on it.

I want to be fair, but not give it away either.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I've been trying to get my (stupid) digital camera to take some good shots, but can't figure out how to make it do what I need,......(ok, maybe it's not the cameras fault)

The trigger is marked "Mashburn Arms Co." and has an aluminum housing. Looks to be fully adjustable, and has a very nice trigger action.

The action has no markings visible when the action is in the stock. What is marked is: "FN (in an oval) 1954" and below that "Made in Belgium" low on the right receiver ring, with some proof marks low on the left receiver ring and on the lower flat of the ring. There is a 4 digit number stamped on the lower flat of the receiver under the ring (61XX) Safety is on the bolt collar, it's a scope type wing. The underside of the bolt knob is finely checkered on a flat spot. Floor plate and trigger guard are milled steel, the rear of the trigger guard is tapered somewhat. Floorplate has a protruding button to release it, in the same spot that the militaries have the hole for a bullet tip to release them. It is not hinged.

Is this enough info?

Default fn action

I have a few of these in rifles and have had others, what you have is among the most desireable versions and, IMO, IF in pristine shape, minor blue wear is not important, I would not hesitate to pay $500.00 for it...the hinged steel bottom metal and Mashburn trigger make it a bit more valuable than most.

One can build a super .338WM on this as is, put a Dakota or LaPour or Satterlee 3-pos safety, Lilja tube, Recknagel irons and Talley QDs on it, drop it into a Micky and there you have it, about as "perfect" an Alaskan or B.C. hunting rifle as can be had.