Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ultimate camp chair for float trips...

Default Ultimate camp chair for float trips...

At 6'6" 300 lbs, I am a walking torture test for camp chairs. On nearly every float trip, I will usually need some paracord and duct tape to keep my chair together. I found the perfect camp chair and thought I would pass it on just in case anyone else has had similar issues. The best part is that it only weighs 5.3 lbs and pack into its own bag (22" x 4" x 6"). It goes together in a snap and the fit and finish far surpassed my expectations. Just got two of them for my upcoming trip on the Kongakut. I don't expect to be needing paracord.

SEATING SURFACE: SLING TYPE WITH BACK AND ARM RESTS
    SETUP/PACK: LESS THAN 1 MINUTE WITH NO SMALL LOOSE PARTS
    WEIGHT CAPACITY: 350 LB TESTED TO OVER 750 LB
    PACKED SIZE: 4" BY 6" BY 22"
    SEAT HEIGHT: APPROX. 11.5"
    WEIGHT: APPROX. 5.3 LB
    WARRANTY: 5 YEARS COVERING FUNCTION
    MATERIALS: OAK FRAME COATED WITH MARINE FINISH, 2/3 LB OF ALUMINUM PLATES & BARS, NUTS & BOLTS OF STAINLESS STEEL,
    COVERS & BAG MADE OF 1000 DENIER NYLON PACK CLOTH
    COLORS: FOREST GREEN, BURGUNDY, BLACK, NAVY, & RED
    ALL CHAIRS HAVE BLACK BAGS

http://www.kermitchair.com/index.html
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Red face Have to disagree

Dan, while you are usually full of great info I think that you are wrong on this one. While that chair might be good for the big boys club I don't think that it's good for float. First, I'm not sure how many of us would be willing to spend $130.00 for a chair. Next, at over 5 lbs that seems a little heavy as well as having alot of moving parts to but together allowing something to break or go wrong.

Default Thanks, Dan-

Dan,

I use folding chairs on all my float hunts anymore, and finding something for the big guys is great. Most of the folding chairs I use are not very mechanically sound and are throw-aways after three or four hunts it seems.

In principle I like this idea you've posted, but would like to see a better price. Five pounds isn't too bad for something like this (I need to weigh my chairs and see where we come in). But 5# would be okay if it fits the need. I wonder if there's a more inexpensive chair out there that does the job? It never occurred to me to look.

And no, I don't like using a cooler for a seat. Yes, they work, but the bigger guys can mash the lid down, and there's no back rest, and it's not as portable, and I always need what's in the cooler while they're sitting on it, and, and, and. I much prefer a portable chair.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    Dan, while you are usually full of great info I think that you are wrong on this one. While that chair might be good for the big boys club I don't think that it's good for float. First, I'm not sure how many of us would be willing to spend $130.00 for a chair. Next, at over 5 lbs that seems a little heavy as well as having alot of moving parts to but together allowing something to break or go wrong.

Depends on where you are standing (or sitting) ha ha. I have been using 10 lb Travel Chair "Antarctic Chairs" and they are $75 and break on every trip. So with the Kermit chair, I have a chair that is half the weight of what I am used to. And this is a post focussed to the "big boys club" I was skeptical about a $130 chair too. Trust me. Took two years to bite the bullet. In that time I have spent more than that on the other camp chairs which have been more or less disposable. This thing puts together in seconds and is very strong. Ingenious design I would even say. But it is a special niche product, I will give you that.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    I wonder if there's a more inexpensive chair out there that does the job? It never occurred to me to look.
    -Mike
    I have been looking for years (literally) and found very little. Like I said, I had heard of these Kermit chairs two years ago (from a motorcylcist camper) and at first scoffed at the idea. $130 for a chair! Apparently these chairs have some what of a cult following with BMW motorcylist. Some 10,000 sold. But in my situation, it will save me money. I am buying a new chair for each yearly float trip. That really adds up over time. This will be the last one I hope. And it has a 5 year repair/replacement warranty if it breaks. So with that, worst case scenario I will now be spending $30/year on a chair instead of $60-75. But from what I can see, this thing is not very likely to break. First time I have ever said that

$139! And I was complaining about spending $5 for the last two chairs I bought at Walmart. I did have to break out the needle & thread on one of the seat backs, but that was three years ago, and since they're still working well it looks like I might get my money out of them yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Strutz View Post
    I was complaining about spending $5 for the last two chairs I bought at Walmart.
    I have been snapping them like twigs since junior high school Seriously, these Kermit chairs are the cats meow. But cheap they are not.

Another option, although it doesn't provide any back support, is a 5 gallon Home Depot bucket with a lid. It will cost you about $7, bright orange so it's easy to see, floats if not completely full, has a handle to be lashed into the boat/gear pile, and can be lined with a trash compactor bag which will do a reasonable job of keeping non-critical stuff dry. Just a cheapo suggestion.

I bet you break that pretty little wooden chair by the third night. I have friends your size and that is why we bring bean bags on every float trip.
    Just kidding. Seriously, no offense, but you break that country club deck furniture in the first 72 hrs. Do I hear an office pool forming here? Participants can buy a time during Dan and his wife's float trip where you think his directors chair hits the rocks. $5/time slot and the closest takes the scratch. If the chair survives Dan keeps the green for more golf chairs. I know we don't know each other and you are a big guy, so I hope you know i'm just kidding. Can't wait to here about your awesome trip this summer!
    Take care, abel6wt

Here's a great addition for your 5g bucket: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...=0180101070502

They aren't free, but they are nice, don't take up much room, and feel nice when you lean back.

><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Default Bucket seats!

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    Here's a great addition for your 5g bucket: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...=0180101070502

They aren't free, but they are nice, don't take up much room, and feel nice when you lean back.
    Phish-

I like the idea of using the five-gallon buckets; they're a multi-use item and they work pretty well.

But this idea with the seat on top of the bucket seems ill-conceived to me. You can't lean back or you'll tip over! If you can't lean back, then what's the point of the back rest?

Just my reaction- I haven't used this product.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Red face your seats...

D-rock....facinating mid-winter thread. Man, I like your seat.
    tboehm...it's only $130.00, and more money will appear in the bank in a week or two.
    Birdstrike...I'm with you. Sit on a bucket. If back support is needed then stand and catch a fish or go gather firewood.
    Phish...Your bucket seat w/back-supporter needs a massage option.
    Mike...in my experience, the bucket seat w/back supporter will not tip over until that big brown bear pelt gets a second salting from the 50 pounds of salt in the bucket.
    ....IMO...

dennis
    ak tags

I expected to take a ribbing over this one

Definitely a "winter thread"

But in my defense, I am the only one who has sit in it. This is not your ordinary "country club chair". ha ha ha...

I had emailed the guy after I got the chair requesting a few extra screw and such. As I mentioned, I am used to things breaking under my fat a*$. He called me this afternoon eager to help. Talked for 15 minutes. He put together a repair kit with instructions for anything that could come loose or break. Sent me two of everything in fact. He also said that the 5 year repair/replacement warranty is just something to put on paper. He said he will repair these chairs for free anytime to the original owner. He gets them in after 15 years of use, and repairs them for free. This is not your average camp chair, but I deserve what I am getting here. It is pricey for a camp chair.

Default that chair

d-rock....Bro, I like your chair. Really.
    How many will fit in a bucket?
    I got to put something in the buckets after the salt is applied to bear pelts.

dennis

Well hopefully you didn't cheap out and went ahead and upgraded with the Kermit Cupholder.

Who wouldn't want an $18 cupholder.

Funny you asked, I just ordered two yesterday. At $18 each they were a steal

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Funny you asked, I just ordered two yesterday. At $18 each they were a steal
    Well all I can say about that is, make sure you put good beer in it. No Milwaukee's Best for you.

Amstel's Light would fit in the holder better than the Beast. Ironic thing, at my weight, with raft/frame/oars and other gear, I can't even think about carrying beer

Default Yes you can

All you have to do is buy a bunch of LIGHT BEER

At 300 lbs and fitting in a 185 with raft/frame/oars, they don't make beer that light. But I do like the way you think

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast