Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nikon D60

Default Nikon D60

Ok I was pretty much sold on the Caonon XSi and then I looked at the D60 from Nikon. the big difference is 10.6 mp vice 12.2 mp in the canon. Is that a huge difference? Everyone tells me this is a "ford vs chevy" rivalry. I am temped by the Nikon cause it's less expensive, and sounds like their service is better?? Any thoughts?
    Thanks for the help with all the questions!
    Tim

I assume you saw the D60 at B&H Photo. They are offering a $200 instant rebate on the D60 and two lenses. Fine starter outfit that would make.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_Camera.html

You can't really go wrong with Nikon or Canon. If money is an issue, this D60 deal may be well worth picking up.

Some good insights into this camera can be found here...

http://photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00Ptq4
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Forum Sponsor

You may want to look at a special that we posted in the optics forum, http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=43470
    The Nikon is an excellent camera
    If there is anything I can answer for you or assist you with please let me know.
    Thanks and have a great day,
    Doug
    Camera Land
    1-866-9-optics
    1-516-217-1000
    gr8fuldoug@aol.com

Default that is a good deal!

very good deal!

Living @ the Top of the World in Barrow Alaska

You can't really go wrong with Nikon or Canon.
    I take it.. .. that means,, YOU can go wrong, if you choose to use a different brand ??

I see every day, people going wrong with Nikon or Cannon, I see their images and some of them are all wrong.

hmmm ? I am just very curious what you mean by that statement ?

You can't go wrong with a Hassleblad or Mamiya RB 67

YOu can't go wrong with a LEICA

YOU CAN'T GO WRONG with a Sony or Pentax or Olympus

I can make the list a mile long.. Just what is this Nycon / Kannon thing all about. ?? "Creating better images " ??

Ansel Adams / Edward Weston never used those cameras,, Yet to this day. only a hand full of people are capable and skillfull and talented enough to create images that rival those masters.

I am going to create a new thread (soon) "The Ultimate Challenge" !!

Default I'll disregard

the post above this one. Certainly not the information I am looking for

Living @ the Top of the World in Barrow Alaska

Well there certainly are .. 'other aspiring photographers' That do 'glean' a lot from that information I posted.

Sincerly !

Easy killer.

We are all friends here.

When I said, "you can't go wrong with Nikon or Canon" that is exactly what I meant. Argue that point with yourself.

Sun will be up again soon
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by TBLOOMA View Post
    the post above this one. Certainly not the information I am looking for
    Before you buy a D60, do a little homework relating to which Nikon lenses you can use with it. I don't know the details, but it may have to do with having image stabilization in the body against having it on the lenses (???). Hopefully somebody in here knows exactly what the problem is and can explain it better than I can.

I found it:
    http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Nikon_D60/lens.shtml

Pay close attention to "subject tracking" (explained in the article), since this is very important when taking photos of moving subjects. For example, I can set my Canon XT (and 40D) to Servo AI at the race track, and when I depress the shutter button half-way, the camera automatically tracks the subject and stays in focus. I often do this when taking photos at the Yukon Quest since the dogs are moving toward or away from me. The D60 uses a 3-point focus, which makes it a little more finicky in this type of situation.

If I had to choose between the D60 and the D80, I would not think twice and grab the D80. However, if the deal is real good-as you have mentioned-go for the D60.

Ray makes some good points.

I should add that my enthusiasm for picking up that smoking deal from B&H was towards the "bang for the buck" entry level system. That camera and two lenses for $588 is a great deal. But there are better cameras/lenses out there for sure. The Canon 40D is one example. I have one myself. Incredible camera. But with the 40D and a few Canon L lenses, I dropped 5k pretty quickly. But if you are starting out, budget may be an issue. What ever you do, don't buy anything but Canon or Nikon. The rest of it is worthy of door stop status only. Garbage. Ha ha. Kidding Majik

Well, I shoot Canons, but for affordable digitals I like Pentax and Nikon too.

Olympus makes great lenses and good cameras, but they saddle them with that silly XD memory card slot, and XD cards are more expensive, slower, and more limited in capacity than either SD or CF cards. Plus Oly uses even smaller sensors than Nikon and Canon, with the results of increased noise and occasionally some sharpness loss. And then their really good lenses are even more expensive than the similar stuff from the competition. They're innovators, but it's hard to recommend their DSLRs.

For me the only real deal killer for the low end Nikon is the lack of compatibility with so many of Nikon's great lenses. But, if they have all the lenses you are going to foresee needing in the next few years, and all those lenses will fit, meter, aperture, and autofocus with the D60, it's a good camera to buy. Too bad there are so many Nikors that don't. Where Nikon really competes is with the D90 and up. With these cameras the issue greatly reduced.

If saving money over an XSi is an issue, you should also consider the Canon XS, and the XTi. At least all of Canon's autofocus lenses (EF and EF-s) will work with all of these Rebel cameras.

As far as that goes, you should really look at the Pentax K200D. Pentax has a more limited (but growing) selection of lenses, but if they have the ones you will want, it might be a better solution. A great thing about Pentax is that they put the image stabilization system in the camera body so all your lenses can benefit from it. That feature can save you a lot of money in the long run. Same thing with Sony, but I never recommend Sony anything.

I do not know much about the Canon vs. Nikon thing, but in September my husband bought me a Nikon D60 and I am SO pleased with it.

He has the D90 and is just as pleased with it.

I realize this post doesn't contain much technical info, however, just wanted to post that I'm a satisfied Nikon user.

I agree that chosing between Nikon and Canon is safe because either choice is sure to be "right".

But I also agree with something a couple of folks have alluded to, which is that for many people the bottom of line cameras aren't really a very good deal compared to something half way up the ladder. It takes a lot of effort to determine if one of those bottom of the line camera will do what you need, or if they are just a wasted step on the way to buying the slightly more expensive camera that should have been selected initially.

For people who "just want a camera", low end cameras are okay perhaps. For someone who wants to engage in photography for the sake of photography... a whole different world opens up, and low end cameras are not part of it. They just lack too many useful features. And a beginner really just does not have enough knowledge yet to decide which features will be useful or not to them during the life of that camera.

Floyd makes some great points. But you do have to pay to play. Depends on what your goals are. I just got into photography last November myself. Going through much of what you (OP) are I suspect. I was all set on the Canon Xti, but decided on the more expensive Canon 40D. The more I learned about the camera, the more I was glad I did not get the Xti. As your skills grow, so will your gear expectations. That is why if you visit any active photography forum, like www.photo.net, and go to the Nikon or Canon sections, you will see tons of post where people are asking for info on upgrading cameras or lenses (or both). Photographers are never satisfied it seems But with all the technology that is available to us, why should we be. But it can become an expensive venture.

Forum Sponsor

FWIW, We are here to assist you in the confusing decision. At any time always feel free to call here and speak with us. We can try to narrow down the many choices to what's best for your needs. My brother Joel runs the camera side. Both Mark and Sean are very knowledgeable and would also be glad to speak with you.
    If there is anything I can answer for you or assist you with please let me know.
    Thanks and have a great day,
    Doug
    Camera Land
    1-866-9-optics
    1-516-217-1000
    gr8fuldoug@aol.com

Default A true Pearl that the OP should not miss!

Quote Originally Posted by AKFishinGirl View Post
    I do not know much about the Canon vs. Nikon thing, but in September my husband bought me a Nikon D60 and I am SO pleased with it.

He has the D90 and is just as pleased with it.

I realize this post doesn't contain much technical info, however, just wanted to post that I'm a satisfied Nikon user.
    In amongst those of us posting techie analysis, I think your post is sort of like a breath of fresh air the the OP might find really useful too!

It is very significant that you have a D90 available to compare with, and are emphatically pleased with your D60. If you had never touched another similar camera I'd be willing to dismiss your comment. But as it stands, it probably means at least as much and maybe more than what the rest of us have to say... !!!
    Last edited by Floyd_Davidson; 12-15-2008 at 06:02. Reason: Added the title.

Being a Nikonian, I'm somewhat (OK, maybe a lot) prejudiced towards Nikon. I started with the D80, and just purchased a D300. I had (somewhat) legitimate reasons for upgrading, mostly dealing with ISO noise capabilities of the D300 and a faster frame rate for sports. That having been said, the D80 let me take some (I think) very nice photos that I'm proud to say that I took.

One thing to keep in mind, as that today's entry level cameras have capabilities that the top of the line fleet leaders from Canon and Nikon didn't have just a few years ago (see Nikon D1, introduced June 1999 and Canon EOS1D Sept '01). Virtually all of the "prosumer" camera bodies being sold today significantly outperform the best cameras available from just a few years ago. We're in the midst of the early stages of a technical revolution, and the camera bodies are going to be the victims of it - today's $5,000 body will be next year's $1,500 "has-been" in the quest to get the latest and greatest, and to get more megapixels.

Jim and Floyd have given some wise counsel in the past that I've adopted as the guiding light in my photographic education - the body is becoming a throw-away entity - buy the best glass you can afford, as it's going keep on giving you good quality shots, and maintain it's value much better over the long run.

If you're going Nikon (the obvious choice ), I would look real hard at the D80 and up, as they open up virtually all of the Nikkor glass that's available dating back decades). The D40 can't use the older AF lenses due to the motor being in the body, and I'm not sure about the D60. The D80 was going for more than $1,200 (body only) just a year ago, and is now going for less than $600. The D200 was almost $2,000 a year ago and is now going for about half that, and so on up the chain. All of the manufacturers are rolling out new bodies on about an 18 month schedule, so they're obsoleting our equipment as fast as we can buy it (Nikon just announced the D3X, a 25 mp pro body to compete with the Canon 5D MIII - at the princely sum of almost $8,000). When will the madness end?

Despite his sometimes disjointed ramblings, Majik hits the nail on the head - it's the eye of the photographer that determines a great photograph, not the quality of his or her equipment.

As consumers, we'll benefit as they latest technology will trickle down to us, but for now, have fun with the choice. I think I've muddied the waters sufficiently!

And to think, we haven't even begun discussing post-processing!

Cheers,
    SH

Default Thanks for all the help

I did it, got the Nikon D60 coming. thanks for all the replies, they really did help alot!! AKFishgirl, that was Exactly what pushed me over the edge, you had the perfect response!!! SH also helped out with the " good glass with work for you for a long time", and the bodies are replaceable!! Anyways, I am happy I did it, to get the kids yout saved on Memory cards will be priceless!!!
    Thanks again for all the help!
    Tim

Shoot away Tim, I found the camera was smarter than me for a long time (still is in many cases!). Have fun with the new acquisition, and welcome to the world of Nikonians!

Make sure you check out:

www.nikonians.com
    www.fredmiranda.com
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/

They're great resources for learning about photography.

Enjoy!

R

John

Talking

You guys are too nice!!!

Glad I could help out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast