Thread: Fishing at end of June 1st of July

Default Fishing at end of June 1st of July

I live in Anchorage and have some family coming up at this time. I want to try to get them on some salmon (don't really care about species). Where is the best place to go during this time?

Quote Originally Posted by roknjs View Post
    I live in Anchorage and have some family coming up at this time. I want to try to get them on some salmon (don't really care about species). Where is the best place to go during this time?
    June 1st of July? I take it you mean June first to July, so if this is the case, you'll have a few options. Being in Anchorage, you can find the kings showing up in good ol' Ship Creek during the first two weeks of June. They'll be present there the whole time your family is in town. Take a boat out to the mouth of the creek if you don't want to deal with the other fishermen lining the banks. Just an option for the times you all are in town and not down south.

Default Russian

end of June thru first of July should be some great fishing on the Russian. The first run of sockeye enter the lower river somewhere around the 15th of June and generally will take up to a week or so to get to the Russian. It should be really good. The king fishing on the Kenai should be good as well, however there is a typical decrease in activity somewhere around the 1st week of July. The slot limit will be in effect in June on the Kenai, but will be removed July 1. 2004 was a most excellent year for kings on the Kenai and we should be seeing some of their offspring returning this year.

Good luck

Kings should be showing up on the Deska and Littel sue. You might get some on all the parks highway streams like willow and such hope this helps chris.

Default Meant to say end of June to the 1st part of July

Couldn't find an edit button. I was thinking the Russian and or the Kenai, but wanted someone to confirm my thoughts. Any fishing up in the valley at that time?

Any fishing up in the valley at that time?
    The king fishing on Clear Creek and the Talkeetna River should be rocking right then. You'll at least need a drop-off service, or possibly a guide to target them. Mahay's and Tri-River Charters offer pretty reasonable drop-off prices.

Default Silvers In Pony Cove

Buy someone some gas and fish Pony Cove out of Seward for Silvers on the 4th Of July Weekend - you might even get to see the mountain race at the same time.

Last week of june is usually the peak of the king run in the valley. They seem to taper off after that. You can pick up reds at cottonwood creek about the second week of july.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    The king fishing on Clear Creek and the Talkeetna River should be rocking right then. You'll at least need a drop-off service, or possibly a guide to target them. Mahay's and Tri-River Charters offer pretty reasonable drop-off prices.

I did a half day 150.00 bucks with Mahays last year. Good trip. doing another this year on the 4th of july. I hooked 4 kings in 5 hours (actually fished on 3 had to have some beers) Caught a 42.9 fish. Ask to fish in craigs boat great guy if you go there
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Couldn't find an edit button. I was thinking the Russian and or the Kenai, but wanted someone to confirm my thoughts. Any fishing up in the valley at that time?
    There should be Kings in Montana Creek, Sheep Creek, Willow Creek, Kashwitna River. Most of those kings if not all will be fairly red at that time of year and is probably not fit for "good" eating. However, I always love seeing a guest tie into a big king. All the creeks mentioned above are easily road accessible except the Kashwitna. Some guys float the willow from the bridge down to the campground and do very well catching kings away from crowds. There are some guide/rafting services on the willow just for this service. These streams typically close on weekend of the 4th.

The Talkeetna has good king fishing on the week of the 4th but you will find that the kings up that way are turning blush. If you do a drop off with Mahays at Clear Creek watch out for bears. The dirty campers/fish blood draw out a few Yogi's.

If you want silver bright Salmon, Seward and the Russian is probably you easiest option.

Another option in the Valley is the Deshka River. Unless it is another bad year, there will be plenty of kings in the Deskha by the end of June. But I would not recommend this fishery because it requires a guide or your own jet boat.