Thread: Neos River Trekker

Default Neos River Trekker

I saw these at Mt. View Sports. The salesman raved about them and said they were the most popular item for hunters this fall. I haven't read any review on this site though. Has anyone use them?

used them once. they work great. make sure you get a big enough size to fit the type of boots you plan on using (ie larger pac boots, mountaineering boots, or you just plan on putting light hikers/trail running shoes in them. )

if you want something simple and light for river crossings look at the nylon hip stockings from wiggy's. those weight around a pound but are solely for crossing a river and not do any hiking in them. the neos weigh about 5 per pair.

Neos River Trekker, the best thing since slided bread. I have been using them for years. I just upgraded to a new camo pair this year. I never go on any hunt without them, They are light, roll up nice and are quick to put on. Great for crossing streams. They are nice because you can wear a very comfortable hiking boot and still have dry feet. As said above if you buy a pair take the boots you plan on using to the store and try them on over your hunting boots. Great gear...
    Me wearing the old green style.

The wife wearing hers.

Me in the new camo ones, had to get a larger size to fit over my Kenetrek boots.

The only thing I can say negative about them is they can be slippery on slimy rocks. I did wear a hole by one of the buckles, nothing aqua seal couldn't fix. I put many miles on my first pair, in all kinds of nasty alders and brush, they have held up well.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Barney's Sourdough Slippers are Neos with a little heavier fabric than the ones you're discussing. Lots of guys have experience with those.

Steve:

I am planning a fall BB hunt with one of the venerable members of this forum.

If I wear a size 9 boot in these: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20564-cat601928&id=0005470810912a&navCount=3&podId=00054 70&parentId=cat601928&masterpathid=&navAct&_reques tid=25125&_requestid=25628:

... would you expect the size large (which is designed for sizes 9.5-11) to fit over them?: http://www.vtarmynavy.com/neos-river-trekker.htm

Does anyone else use these Neos River Trekkers?

They sounds great to me.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Neos River Trekker, the best thing since slided bread. I have been using them for years. I just upgraded to a new camo pair this year. I never go on any hunt without them, They are light, roll up nice and are quick to put on. Great for crossing streams. They are nice because you can wear a very comfortable hiking boot and still have dry feet. As said above if you buy a pair take the boots you plan on using to the store and try them on over your hunting boots. Great gear...
    Me wearing the old green style.

The wife wearing hers.

Me in the new camo ones, had to get a larger size to fit over my Kenetrek boots.

The only thing I can say negative about them is they can be slippery on slimy rocks. I did wear a hole by one of the buckles, nothing aqua seal couldn't fix. I put many miles on my first pair, in all kinds of nasty alders and brush, they have held up well.

Steve

I have them and like them. They're light enough to put in a pack, but not the lightest thing out there. They're a good compromise between the waterproof slip over socks that Wiggy's sells and a full on hip boot.

I use them just for short river or slough crossings and launching/de-barking my boat, so I haven't given them the work out that Stid has. If I'm going to need to wear something waterproof all day, I'll wear my chest waders or Cabela's hip boots instead.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

size large should be good for size 9. but it also depends on the shoe/boot you are wearing. what footwear will you have on? the burlier the boot, the more difficult fit.

Quote Originally Posted by hre814 View Post
    size large should be good for size 9. but it also depends on the shoe/boot you are wearing. what footwear will you have on? the burlier the boot, the more difficult fit.
    Probably the Mendls linked below.

FYI Anyone with a boot size over 11 1/2 - 12 (depending on what you wear) Don't expect them to fit
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I ended up getting a pair for myself and my dad got a pair also. I wear size 13 and wear with a backingpacking style Northface boot, XXL neos fit fine. My dad wears size 12 in a Rocky hunting boot, don't know which model, but his XXL go on and off fine. Its probably best to try them on with the boots before you buy though.