Thread: What size hook for Kings on the Kenai

Default What size hook for Kings on the Kenai

I just got a ton of Spin N Glows from Cabelas here in MN for cheap as they dont sell the big ones in MN and they were on closeout. Now i have to tie up some rigs and am trying to figure out what size hook to use. We will be drifting eggs behind the Spin N Glow. can you guys help me out on this one?

when doing that I use a 6/0 or 7/0

7/0 is the standard hook size, but you see some a little smaller and I've fished as large as 9/0. 7/0 is the most common hook size, and the size that sells out locally during king season before any other.
    You might think about tying them as a double egg loop, then cutting off the top hook at the bend (single hook regulation). This is a very common way you see Kenai King rigs tied - the top loop without a hook acts as your bait holder, while the trailing hook remains bare and acts as a stinger. Just something to think about. There's no "right" or "wrong" way to do it necessarily, but everyone has their own favorite way to rig it, and the 7/0 double loop is probably the most common.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

i will be fishing late July. Cant you use two single hooks on a rig?

I'm not a Kenai expert, but a lot of the time the regulations are dynamic; they depend on how the run is doing. Sometimes you can't use bait at all. Check the regulations and then try to keep updated for "Emergency Orders" that Fish and Game might announce. You'd probably see a mention of any changes on here, too, as people like to put FYI's up for each other.

Meanwhile, I'll let the Kenai pros answer the rest...Good luck on your trip

Default Kenai Regs

Kenai is single hook only during May, June and July. August, September, October and November are multiple hooks in the lower river.

I use 7/0 cripple in July on most rigs (double hook, top hook with bait loop clipped). At times, however I will use a single and use a series of beads to raise the attractor above the hook.

Also, when drifting, I like to use a single with a large attractor (spin n glow or cheater). This will help to keep things from hooking up on the bottom.

Has anyone had any luck using circle hooks for drift rigs?

Default Depends on your objective

Something along the lines of a 7/0 Gamakatsu is definitely the most popular size. If you are an Owner fan (stouter wire, slightly shorter shanks than Gama) you'll need to upsize one notch to get the same amount of "bite"... ex. 8/0 Owner for a 7/0 Gama.

But folks use smaller and bigger hooks as well.

The advantage of the bigger hook is it grabs more "meat" once it gets a purchase in the fish's mouth. It will hold up to more pressure during the battle. If you hook that hawg of hawgs, you will NOT regret having that BIG hook.

The downside is a hook of that size is going to be made of large caliber wire... it's a lot of metal to bury into flesh. Again, not a real issue with a BIG fish that will take your rod down HARD, but with a smaller, more "dainty" fish, it's tougher for the fish to bury that much metal. Once you do hook a smaller fish, there are other considerations if you plan on releasing them. Larger caliber wire creates a bigger hole, and the larger gap gives that hook more "reach" on a smaller fish. It's more likely than a smaller hook to pierce the base of the tongue, rake a gill arch, or take out an eye.

I've caught kings over 40# on 4/0 Gamakatsu's, but when you need to pull REALLY hard, there's some risk of straightening a hook that small. I pull back on a fish pretty hard and I like to lock the spool with my thumb when I do it, and I have NEVER straightened a 5/0 on a fish. Personally I feel anything over a 7/0 is overkill.

If you are inclined to catch and keep the first fish, go with the 7/0.

If you think will be releasing lots of fish, consider a smaller hook... and while you're at it, mash down that barb.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD