Thread: 12 volt led lighting?

Default 12 volt led lighting?

Has anyone ever used 12 volt LED lighting for their cabin? I've been looking into it but can't find much information beyond sales pitches. It seems like it would be more efficient than 12 volt florescent systems. Any feed back would be great.
    Thanks in advance.
    Chuck

I donít have a cabin, but Iíve been playing with led for a while. The biggest problem I see is the light a led puts out is not easy on the eyes for reading. I may not have been using enough led or the right ones.

This web site had good price and service
    http://www.superbrightleds.com/led_info.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    I donít have a cabin, but Iíve been playing with led for a while. The biggest problem I see is the light a led puts out is not easy on the eyes for reading. I may not have been using enough led or the right ones.
    This web site had good price and service
    http://www.superbrightleds.com/led_info.htm

That is one of the things I wondered about was if they were all so harsh or if there were some that are more like household lighting.
    Chuck

LED is the way to go! Bought 3 lights from http://www.ledlight.com/12-volt-led-lightbulbs.aspx I got the warm lights. I could not tell the differance between regular light bulbs. Did a test and ran 3 lights for 48hrs on a new wal-mart rv battery and voltage was 12.4 with the lights off and 12.3 with them on after the test. Took them to the cabin and going to get 3 more there great.

Is that E27 base a standard household light base or do you need a special base?
    Chuck

Chuck, I've been experimenting with leds well before they were available commercially. They are definitely the way to go for low power and long life in applications where you don't so much need a more yellow type light. Some of the newer ones now available have a 'warmer' tone. I used to mix in some red and green leds with white ones for a better color. The are fun to wire up, or just buy the ones now commercially available.

The base is the same as standerd lights. Went to lowes and bought a 3 light fixture and installed it over the table. Plenty of light for cards, reading ect. Did also bet the bigger single for a porch light but that one has the funky colored light.

LED's are sounding better all the time.
    Chuck

Default LED's

Online or in-person LED resources are becoming more prevalent daily. ABS Alaskan in Fairbanks has many styles to choose from. I have ordered some online as well. Options are becoming endless. The links in the other posts are great, as well as "c. crane" and "dr. LED". Here is a picture of my cabin at night with LED's outside. These are c. crane and I bought them from ABS.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by skinnyriver View Post
    Online or in-person LED resources are becoming more prevalent daily. ABS Alaskan in Fairbanks has many styles to choose from. I have ordered some online as well. Options are becoming endless. The links in the other posts are great, as well as "c. crane" and "dr. LED". Here is a picture of my cabin at night with LED's outside. These are c. crane and I bought them from ABS.
    Are you using LED's on the inside also or are those incandescent lights? They sure look bright. What do think on power consummation is it considerably less? Or at least enough to offset the initial cost?
    Chuck

I will be ordering more lights and on the last invoice they said 10% off next order over 150.00. I am perty sure of the numbers but not looking at the invoice. PM me if interested I will be spending 150.00 myself. Could even stop by Hiline i'll be flying on all sunny days i'm home.

Default lights

Quote Originally Posted by hiline View Post
    Are you using LED's on the inside also or are those incandescent lights? They sure look bright. What do think on power consummation is it considerably less? Or at least enough to offset the initial cost?
    We have some LED's on the inside, but what you see on the inside in the photo is 12v CFLs (13watt) and some propane lights. It's hard to find compact LEDs that provide good indirect lighting. As far as power consumption, LEDs are the way to go, especially if you are relying on 12v battery power, but cost is substantially higher. They do last a lot longer, so if you lived there year-round they would probably pay for themselves in diode life and maintenance cost for your system. Ask Bushrat about that...he's livin' the dream!
    I will take some more photos when I'm down there in the next couple weeks and post them here. I have some 12v LED X-mas lights that should look pretty nice.
    I snuck in one of my favorites of my cabin with a roaring fire creating light...(I posted this one other time on a different thread...)

Here is another LED supplier that I highly recommend. He actually replies to emails and phone calls, plus the product is quality.

http://www.inirgee.com/catalog/12-vo...6_products.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default LEDs

Guys a lot of this years Christmas lights are LED. So just look for them in the Christmas decoration departments at local stores; they are prestrung and very cheap. Just a thought.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    Guys a lot of this years Christmas lights are LED. So just look for them in the Christmas decoration departments at local stores; they are prestrung and very cheap. Just a thought.
    Unfortunately Brav, you will not find 12 volt LED x-mas lights at your local department store.

Just ordered 9 bulbs 21.55 ea. Now looking at remote switches.