Thread: Camp food

Default Camp food

Anybody have a good old camp recipe they would like to share?

Default Chili Mac

One of my favorite camping foods is chili mac. All you do is cook a box of that Kraft Mac and Cheese, and a can of Hormel or Nalley chili. Then, just mix them together. It tastes pretty good

corned beef hash and eggs with fried spam.... don't tell my doctor...

Come guys....really? Can't you think of something better than that?
    YUCK!

What happened to your imagination? Or maybe you just don't like to cook or eat good food.

My post from another threat...
    King Salmon filets fried over the campfire out in the gazebo.
    Snacks (cheese, crackers, nuts washed down with a homebrew beer) sitting on a gravel bar while fishing on a hot summer day
    Grayling and fresh dug Indian potato slices, cooked like shish kabobs on green willow sticks over a campfire on a day hike
    Blueberries, raspberries or cranberries by the mouthfuls when out berry picking
    Chewing on a piece of wild rhubarb for a quick thirst quencher when the water bottle runs dry hiking in the hills
    Bannock wrapped around a stick and cooked over an open campfire
    Fresh moose blackstrap cooked rare on the campfire grill at hunting camp

Grandma Lori

If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

Personally I never go camping without a cooking a Steak Dinner.
    Nice thick Ribeye,fresh corn on the cob, and baked potato cooked over the camp fire. Can't hardly beat it.

Now your talking! That sounds a whole lot better than something out of a can

Grandma Lori

One of my favorites is dutch oven cobbler.
    Just take a can of your favorite fruit and dump it in the bottum of the dutch oven. then pour a dry cake mix over the top of the fruit. (O yea you gotta spread the fruit out then cover it with the cake mix) slice a stick of butter over the top, and bake in the coals till it turns brown on the top.

I also like to grill hash browns and bacon or sausages.

Almost every trip we make camp fire meals. All you do is put meat (steak bites, or burger), peppers, onions, potatoes, and other veggies you would like and spices in alluminum foil. seal the foil good so the juices from the potatoes boils everything good and throw it on some fire coals. Dont forget to add a little butter, this will help remove food from foil. This has been a family favorite since I was a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanfly View Post
    Personally I never go camping without a cooking a Steak Dinner.
    Nice thick Ribeye,fresh corn on the cob, and baked potato cooked over the camp fire. Can't hardly beat it.
    \

June and I do rib eyes after we foat the kenai on a saturday. Long day on the water. Big thick rib eye, Fresh green beans, and a cold bevereage
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default birds in foil and panfried veggies

On a sheet of tinfoil, put a breast from a ptarmigan or grouse.
    Pour a single serving can of fruit cocktail over it and wrap up tightly.
    Toss on the coals for 15-20 mins.
    The breast meat comes out sweet and delicious.

Another favorite is to slice up a yellow squash and a zucchini.
    Pan fry (on a cast iron skillet) in butter till it's just about done.
    Cut up a tomato into wedges and add to pan and stir.
    Cover generously with grated parmasean cheese and put the lid on the pan for a moment to melt the cheese.

My apologies if I offended anyone with my "canned food" remark

Sorry,
    Grandma Lori

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Grandma View Post
    My apologies if I offended anyone with my "canned food" remark

Sorry,
    Grandma Lori
    Hopefully this post wasn't made because someone complained to you about being offended.

I believe the OP was looking for something more than what kind of can you opened for dinner while camping. Thats why he ask for "Old camp recipe's".
    Now I know posting about cooking a "Nice.....Thick.....Juicy......RIBEYE......(r u you hungry yet) is not a recipe. But it is good!!!
    I do occasionally eat out of a can while camping. I have even been know to eat donuts out of a box while camping.

A little friendly ribbing about eating out of a can is just that "friendly ribbing".

No offense taken here. Make sure you keep your sense of humor involved in your post's.

Grayling gumbo...

We make this on all of our NW Alaska float trips. I get two boxes of Zatarains dried gumbo mix and cut up about 2 lbs of grayling into slivers. Be sure to cut back on the water if you like it thick. Instructions on the box make a soupy type gumbo. I like mine more like chilli, so I cut back from 6 cups of water per box used, to 4 cups. About 1/2 way through cooking the gumbo, add the grayling. It is done when it starts flaking apart into the gumbo. Use the dutch oven to make garlic biscuits to go with the gumbo. We use instant Bisquik style because we are on remote float trips with no coolers. But if closer to home, you would have many more options. Grayling gumbo with garlic biscuits! Fine riverside dining.

If you are taking a float trip, and not using a cooler, below are some suggestions that may be of interest...

For breakfast, we like bagels with the precooked bacon packs. The Boars Head comes in two seperate pouches which is convenient. Oscar Meyer comes in one bigger pack. We like block cheese and Harvest Food eggs (see their website for all kinds of great products). I use their powdered oil/shortening in my dutch oven. Works just like regular oil but without the weight/mess. We also take hot oatmeal and recently discovered Richmoor cold cereal. Just add water type. It comes in granola with strawberries and granola with raspberries. Both are delicious. I am 6' 6" and weigh 300 lbs. So I will buy 4 packs of the cereal and vacuum seal. 2.5 for me and 1.5 for my wife. If you eat a 2,000 calorie a day diet normally, perhaps one pack would be enough for breakfast. They taste great. I buy mine from www.wildernessdining.com This site sells lots of other great food items. Check out their website for all kinds of food related items. Great selection of hard to find items. I get the peanut butter and jelly individual packs there too. Great for putting on flour tortilla wraps or bagels for snacks/lunches. Very convenient. Comes with strawberry or grape jelly. These are larger packs and have plenty to make a sandwich or bagel. They also sell cheese in packs like this. That with some pilot bread would make a great snack/lunch.

For lunch we take Mountain House Pro Paks. Vacuum sealed and slightly smaller portions than the regular Mtn House meals, they pack small and light yet are plenty for lunch. They come in about 10 different types. Spaghetti, Chili Mac, and Lasagna are my favorites. Go to the Mountain House website and order there. I just placed a big order myself for an upcoming NW Alaska float in Sept. They ship fast. One nice thing about having these meals for lunch everyday is that it makes things simple. No meal planning. Save that for the dinners. Keep it simple. Just boil some water riverside and have lunch. This route also saves weight compared to many other food ideas.

For dinner, we go through more trouble. For the purpose of good morale perhaps. We take Darn Good (brand) dried chilli bags and make Jiffy cornbread in the dutch oven. We also make grayling gumbo. We take Zatarains Gumbo (dry mix) and slivers of about 2 lbs of grayling. Cook slow while the Bisquick garlic biscuits cook in the aluminum GSI 10" dutch oven. It only weighs 4 lbs and can be found on the wilderness dining website above. Also at Campmor.com. We cook fish for about 3/7 meals too. Usually dolly vardon (arctic char). We get Idaho instant potatoes (garlic is our favorite). We will make garlic bisuits in the dutch oven to go with. We also make mac and cheese to go with fish. Simple things like that. Some of the easy to make Suddenly Salad brands are nice too. They have a ranch and italian cold pasta salad. Great sides for a fish meal. We have also packed the 10" pita pizza deals. Take the pizza sauce in the bags and some block cheese to grate. Two person may be enough. And of course the pepperoni. In a pinch, we will just have one of the extra Mtn House Pro Paks. Maybe too tired to cook or got into camp late. Bad weather and such. I always carry 2-3 extra Mtn House Pro Paks. One tip, tape a disposable plastic spoon to the lasagna packs. The cheese in them is nearly impossible to get off your standard Lexan spoon. We burn the disposable spoon with the bag the meal was in. Dishes done.

Save the clean lexan spoon for stirring the 100 proof peppermint schnapps into the hot chocolate. Also, Captain Morgans rum and hot apple cider is a good camp fire drink. For other times of the day, we take Crystal Light sticks and perhaps one gatorade packet per person/per day.

For deserts, we take the Backpackers Pantry (brand) cheese cake and cream pie (same things). I love lemon, but chocolate mouse, strawberry, banana, and dark chocolate are great. Just add and stir some cold water into the bag, then sprinkle the graham cracker crumbs on top (included in the pack) and then let it sit and think for about 10 minutes. This desert must be tried. Amazing stuff.

For snacks, the normal fare. Dried fruit and beef jerky vacuum seals to very small packs. Leave out the mango and apricots as it makes everything sticky. We love Cliff bars as they can get squished and are not effected by heat. Comes in about 20 flavors. And of course some home made gorp with the larger size M&M's.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

oh man... well. i usually haul out 15 lbs of taters. a cooler full of meat. eggs ( real) stuff to make bread all that.. but then i have weeks to prepair and get camp set up for hunting after mining. several dutch ovens on the barrel stove and fire pits. we EAT GOOD! moose stew on the dutch each night last year we made a great heart stew... smoked ribs. liver. freeze dried and mre are on site for emergancy's...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I like your style. My camping practices are out of neccesity. I weigh 300, wife is .., well she would be pissed. Add a Ally pack canoe, or heaven forbid the raft/frame/oars, and we have one heck of a time cramming into a 185. I have learned far more than I would prefer about lightweight foods But we eat surprisingly well considering. Granted, it's not moose stew.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I love cooking over a campfire. And I do mean, the campfire, not a propane cook stove or wood stove in a cabin etc. I like to do a bit of prep work before going out though. Two of my favorites is campfire stew and breakfast.

For the stew I use what ever meat I have at the time, cut into bite size chunks. You can seal these in a ziplock and add a bit of olive oil in the same bag. Brown them in the cast iron pan or dutch oven. Throw in what ever veggies I have at the time. I cut them up before the trip and seal them in zip locks. You can add a can of diced tomatoes for liquid. But normally I don't bring one along and just add enough water to cook the veggies. It is not a very fluid stew.

For breakfast I normally cut up a pound of bacon into small bit sized bits. Cook them in the cast iron. Throw in a handful of diced onions (also cut up before hand. Throw in a dozen eggs, and scramble in the pan. Throw in a small can of green chilies and a bit of cheese. Heat tortillas on the grate over the open fire. Wrap up eggs in tortillas and there you go.

I really like to cut every thing up before going out camping. Also, since I have kids, it's helpful to have everything cut up before hand so they are not trying to cut up meals on paper plates with plastic knives.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

1stimestar, That's my kinda cooking, Thanks for the reciepe.E.S.

Default Fresh MMMM

Camping in homer.

Depends on amount of people you want to serve.

For 6-8 adults.

Boil 7-10 cups water in large stock pot
    6 large potatoes cut into 1/2" cube
    Boil on high for 10 min
    add 1 large onion cut into 1/4's
    5-7 garlic cloves
    1 stick butter
    1 pkg Crab boil
    2 fillets fresh rock fish ( for flavor )
    1 3lb pkg of hot links cut into bite size
    1/3 of a 5 gal bucket of fresh clams and muscles (You want the water level below most of the shell fish that way the butter on top the water flavors them)
    After clams and muscles have opened pour out water.

TIME TO EAT- Goes really good with a ice cold beer. Then again what dosn't
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.