Thread: Floating the Sag

Default Floating the Sag

Has anyone floated the Sag River? Any information as to possible put in and take out spots, water levels, is it feasable, raft size, difficulty, etc., would be appreciated. Thanks.

Default Floating the Sag

I Floated the Echooka to the Ivasheck and then down the Sag late August and it was great, 37 miles. Water was tight way up the Eshoola by all in all it was great.

Don't know the water levels now though.

Default Floating the SAG

S-Man,

Great Float. Could you pin a couple of things down for the group i.e. how far do you wish to float, are you floating for hunting or just a trip for fun, what type of White Water Back Ground if any do you have?

Concerning what type of boat depending on which section of the rvier and what time of year may change the answer.

Toss some questions and I am sure more answers will be coming your way.

Tight Lines

Richard Mousseau
    www.bluemooserafting.com

BlueMoose,

I would be doing it for Bowhunting. Although if a decent float could be had out of it, that would be that much better. I was initially thinking of putting in from a spot near the road, and take out the same. Just carry a smaller raft to the river. I am going up there towards the end of the week, and will probably just spot and stalk.

I have an Aire Leopard, got it this year, took the KCK river rafting class in May, did the two day MatSu River float, and have floated the Upper Kenai twice from Cooper Landing bridge to Skilak Lake campground. I did that just yesterday. It was excellent. That is the extent of my rafting resume. But that will change.

I am looking at getting an Aire Traveler, or the like, early next year, so I can do some floats where the 18' Leopard is too big. I have seen a lot of floats listed at KCK that I would have liked to have done, but for the size of the Leopard. So to answer your question, it was for hunting, but if a good mutiday float could be had out of it, that would be that much better. The same goes for any other river. But it looks like next year. And the most I have seen in the way of white water are the rapids below Jim's Landing. They seemed a lot smaller the second time I did them. Thanks for the replies.

Default Did You Float The Sag?

From Where To Where.

With Little Experience You Could Put In Near Slope Mtn Dot And Float 100+ Miles . Getting Out At Many Spots Easly.

If Very Experienced Put In South Of Pump 4 On Atigan River And Out At Slope Mtn Dot Or Anywhere Further North. There Is A Nasty Gorge / Canyon On The Atigan And I'm Not Sure I Would Ever Try It Even Thou I Would Love To Hunt That Upper Sag. Just South Of Slope Mtn. Dot I Got My 13 Ft.jet Boat Into 4-5 Foot Standing Waves A Few Years Ago And That Stopped My Upstream Adventure.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Atigun Gorge is dangerous for anyone not highly experienced in whitewater and the 10 miles of the Sag upstream of Slope Mtn is rough to very rough (nearly continuous Class III/IV rapids).

Default The upper Sag

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Has anyone floated the Sag River? Any information as to possible put in and take out spots, water levels, is it feasable, raft size, difficulty, etc., would be appreciated. Thanks.
    My first trip was in a non-bailer tiny 10' Avon raft in 1990... not the best choice today but still a high quality fabric for an inflatable. No problems to report with yesterdays trippin' or with today's Lynx 1, Wildcat or Leopard Cat.

That said and getting a feel for your new rafting resume... I'd have to caution you on the Gorge section and also the rapids that follow miles bellow. This is not a place for beginners and likely at most water levels even for well equipped, wanna-be experts either. The super good equipment today often can lull one into overestimating skills and fitness levels. Accidents can be exponential in more difficult waters. In the Gorge section you need to be spot-on with bigger 18' boats in a game of inches. The AIRE Wildcat is perrrrrrrfect for this river as are the Lynx kayaks.

Noticed your other posts frequently address inquiry of the AIRE Traveler... this is "only an ok choice" on the upper Sag --- as the increasing energy of forceful momentum type contact can eject the occupants out of a Traveler far easier than with a CatRaft, Paddle-cat, or Kayak. This difference in momentum strike force energy (MSFE I’ll call it) has to do with surface tension, center of gravity, and options for combination bracing in a kayak both active with paddles and closer to more passive by means of thigh straps.

Brian Richardson
    http://northernrim.com