Thread: Campground Reservations

Post Campground Reservations

For those of you wanting to be on the russian/kenai opening weekend the reservation window has arrived for the Weekend of the 12th. There are a few sites left a the looney bin (russian river) Cooper creek has alot of spots and we just got our site at Quartz creek. Just a little to crazy at the russian in week 1 for us. We are just there to chase bows anyways but with red fever in full swing it is still a bit crazy. So we will just put the boat in at the bridge and do a full day float to jims. We might even get lucky and pop a red or two. We have been doing well chasing rainbows and dollies that time of the year too. 5 years of practicing does finally start to pay off. That and throwing everything you have at them untill you find what works. The site for reservations is

www.recreation.gov
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Thanks for the heads-up, Chuck. The wife, kid, and I will be at the Russian on the 10th and 11th. There's no way I would have remembered, so beers around the campfire are on me.

We'll be biking up to the falls on the 11th and possibly the morning of the 12th, but maybe we'll bring the raft along as well and see if we can't find you on the river on the 12th.

Sounds good B. Let us know what site and we will be there. we can talk more over beers at the pizza man after the holidays. River trip would be a blast. I love the full day run that time of year

There are VERY few left... I got lucky!

Default >>>--------->

Heard tale there lining up at the Ferry already!

Wife checked on Sunday and said there was one spot left for the weekend of the 13th. It's crazy that you have to make your camping reservations in Dec for the next year! We opted for Quartz as well, seems like a much more relaxed atmosphere compared to the Russian. Last time I was at the Russian almost got into a fight with a bunch of drunk teenagers, luckily the Park Ranger happened to be walking two of their buddies back to their camp with tickets in hand. Not really a family atmosphere anymore. Plus the new restrictions on leaving any container that may contain food (not that it actually does or ever did) unattended will result in a fine!

Steve

Question Sites released

Are the sites released exactly 6 months in advance?
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

180 days in advance

Talking End of July

I'll be there.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Default Fishapalooza 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Doug from Anchorage View Post
    I'll be there.
    I'll be there!!!
    I plan to steal Chuck's site!!!!!!

Default lol

good, im glad you people are still using the sites. i dont know when people will figure out there are BETTER camp spots RIGHT off the highway that are FREE and probably cleaner!!!! but....whatever, let people go ahead and make "reservations" to go camping..... that doesnt sound like camping at all.

Hey. I have seen your camp site. Nice site getting out of it well that is the story remember

Quote Originally Posted by liv2fish87 View Post
    good, im glad you people are still using the sites. i dont know when people will figure out there are BETTER camp spots RIGHT off the highway that are FREE and probably cleaner!!!! but....whatever, let people go ahead and make "reservations" to go camping..... that doesnt sound like camping at all.
    I never considered paying to camp until I had an infant son along. This time around will be my first. I still will camp for free in similar spots to what you describe, but sometimes there are other priorities. Pretty easy to knock it when your life isn't the same as others. There are elderly people who like to be close to a restroom, there are families with young kids on bikes that like to ride around the circles with little traffic, etc. I'm with you 99% of the time in not paying to camp, but there are other situations besides your own.

My wife is one reason to do it. With our camper and gear we have no issues there. I know Jose and you do worry about your stuff sometimes. I know the retired cheif that runs the campground at quartz creek well and also the manager or the russian. If my gear is safe and i feel it is safe i will enjoy my day on the water much more

Default whatever chuck!

ill go to that spot right now and drive out of it, its different when your 4 wheel drive doesnt work and you have a mound to drive over. and the only reason i went to that stupid spot was because it was the closest to the supposively empty spots at the russian that WERENT empty at all !!! lol every spot was full, full with motorhomes. Whatever, either way, i was stuck and wasnt getting out and you and your buddy bailed me out. are you gettin stoked bro? its back up to 20 degrees!!!

I guess i can see your point brian, but whenever i see elderly people, they usually come in a nice motorcoach with bathroom accomidations. along with there fold out deck, livingroom and canopy. but yes i guess kids do need to ride bikes.. either way, i would imagine my gear would be just as easy to go through when your camped right next to the person or just a couple sites down, as it would be parked on an off-road, off the highway that nobody knows about. I like a remote spot when im camping, but those are just my personal camping prefferences. im not 1 for hearing generators run all night :/ trust me, last thing i want..... is to go to my spot that im sure will be open and too see a tourist motor home that should be parked into a parking lot and plugged into a wall..

although, once i become of age and have money to blow on a bus and make it a motorhome... im sure ill be doing the same stuff that im knockn

Quote Originally Posted by liv2fish87 View Post
    I've heard about your campsite.......................................I'l l pass!!!

Besides, you go late enough and there is no cost for the sites.
    Why do you think I come in September??? Less people, less cost and more trouts and dollys!!!!!!

Jose
    This September I was completely alone in Cooper Creek campground for nearly three weeks!!! I had the occasional neighbour but not many and usually only on the weekends. The third week of September there was no other campers/RVers the entire week, kind of erie really.