Thread: crossbow for hunting?

Default crossbow for hunting?

In Iowa you can get a disability waiver from a doctor and through the state and then bowhunt with a crossbow during archery only seasons. It dosen't seem as though there are any huge performance advantages to the equipment although I don't know much about them, they shoot at about 275-350 fps. and don't have much weight to the arrow (bolt). for relatively thinned skinned game does this seem like a good idea to people in that it allows some people to bowhunt when they might not otherwise be able to?

Default Crossbow

A quality Crossbow is quite deadly.

One advantage is the 'mechanical cock'; you can lock the string back, and it will stay - when you need to fire, drop a bolt in and you're in action.

By design it shoots like a rifle, sights, you can use rests, etc.

The bolts may be shorter than a traditional arrow, but they are usually in the same weight class, and considerably stiffer than most arrows.

I don't believe a crossbow will provide a performance advantage, but it may provide you the ability to hunt in areas that you could not hunt before.

My thoughts ---
    Someone with use of only one arm may be able to enjoy an archery only hunt with a crossbow and a rest.
    Someone without the use of their legs may be able to shoot a crossbow effectively from a ground blind; whereas shooting from a seated position in archery can be difficult.

Give one a 'shot' if you can shoot or borrow one. They are very powerful, accurate weapons.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

when i took my cert test last fall.. there was a gent using a cross bow to certify with... never really asked why but must be some thing like moose mentions...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default cross bow in Alaska

The way I read the Alaska regs, cross bows could not be used in an archery only area, but could be used in other areas.

Does Ak Fish and Game consider special circumstances that would permit use of a cross bow in an archery only area?

Default Disability

I believe that ADF&G will entertain just about any request for a waiver based upon a disability... there's verbiage discussing authorization to hunt from an ATV in ORV closed areas, etc.

I am under the impression that they are not allowed. I am just curious as to how others feel about their use.

Default Case by case exceptions?

I looked up crossbows once and agree with BigDaddy's read of the regs.
    In another thread though, Daveinthebush described a process for exceptions. Check this thread:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=29788

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by moose-head View Post
    I am under the impression that they are not allowed. I am just curious as to how others feel about their use.
    moose,
    AK regs prohibit crossbows in archery only areas. You can use crossbows in other areas though.

As long as people are making ethical choices with regard to getting close, and making a good shot, I am not opposed. You will have a slight speed advantage, and flatter shooting because of that, and higher KE.

However, if you have a good pass through shot with a normal bow, your game cannot get any more dead with a cross bow. So, from that perspective, there is no advantage.

Default xbows

Wyoming allows xbows to be used during archery season. The biggest problem that I saw while hunting there was that some 'hunters' would drive around on their 4-wheelers with their xbow cocked and locked - when they saw an elk they would shoot at it - even at 100 yards away. Xbows are not any more accurate than a compound - and not any more deadly - at least from my short experiences with them. kept at close distances - same as a regular bow - in the hands of ethical hunters I have absolutely no problem with them. Flinging bolts from an ATV is not hunting.