Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .308 for brownies??

Default .308 for brownies??

Anyone ever kill a brownie with a .308??? Just curious. I'm thinking about getting one for multi purpose use...target, long range shooting, hunting. I know the expected barrel life on .308 is probably longer than a 300win mag and probably a lot easier to shoot.

I'm not planning a brownie trip anytime soon, but it's not too far out of the possiblity.

Any thoughts??

Default Possible

Sure why not: half the people on this forum seem to think a 223 is a Kodiak bear rifle. Surely a 308 qualifies; JUST shoot him a lot of times.

Seriously the 308 should exhibit less throat erosion than a 300 Mag providing you plan on running 6-8,000 rounds through it. The 300 mag comes into it's own when using heavier bullets than a 308 can launch. Most factory 308 rifles have a 1-12 twist and start to loose accuracy and velocity when the projectile gets over 180 grains. As a general purpose rifle they work alright.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default Does a Grizz count??

I've killed a grizz with my .308. That being said if you are thinking of hunting brownies specifically in the future I believe there are better options out there for ya. As long as you can comfortably shoot a larger caliber well that is what I'd opt for. (.338 or .375)

to be perfectly honest...If I were going out specificaly for a grizz hunt, I'd actually take my bow.. I'm more of a bow hunter but have recently started to get into rifle shooting a bit more...

I just figured the pros of the .308: Cheaper ammo, lots of it, longer barrel life, accurate round. Probably enough for moose and goats if I wanted to hunt them.

Just wasn't sure bout the big browns....

are you really serious that folks consider a .223 for kodiaks???

Default PM

Check your PM's.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by Frogman77 View Post
    to be perfectly honest...If I were going out specificaly for a grizz hunt, I'd actually take my bow.. I'm more of a bow hunter but have recently started to get into rifle shooting a bit more...

I just figured the pros of the .308: Cheaper ammo, lots of it, longer barrel life, accurate round. Probably enough for moose and goats if I wanted to hunt them.

Just wasn't sure bout the big browns....

are you really serious that folks consider a .223 for kodiaks???
    Well if you are comfortable with shooting a grizz with a bow, then a brownie would really be no different. However, if you are looking for a brownie gun which is what I understand you are looking and still want to keep ammo cheap and what not look at the ol 30-06. It'll shoot 220s where as a .308 really won't through that kind of lead nearly as well.

A .308 would be a great round for goat and moose, but like I said if you are looking for a big brownie gun I'd opt for something a little larger, but only if you can shoot it well.

The last time I shot an 06 was when I was 14 years old back in the day with my dad when I was bored. I shot a 30-30 only because that was my rifle to shoot. I've mostly hunted with a 12ga slug gun for deer in the east coast, and have almost exclusively gone to bow hunting all my big game.

I've always liked to shoot rifles and I guess recently the flavor's back. I don't currently own one here in AK and was trying to just weigh in my options on what will be effective on the hunt for moose and brown bears should I choose to hunt them with a rifle, all while still keeping the fun factor in shooting a lot and shooting long distances out to 1000yards(not that I would hunt at that range).

thanks for the input guys. I'll keep milling it over..hopefully before all the prices get jacked up...

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Well if you are comfortable with shooting a grizz with a bow, then a brownie would really be no different. .

Technically the same animal here... only difference is diet and location. and and reality it is used mostly for scoring purposes... because a coastal grizz does grow larger. because of the protein rich diet. however those little brooks Grizzles that might grow to 7.5 feet are a hell of a lot tougher and meaner then any Kodiak, for the simple reason THEY HAVE to work for a living.. they are also NOT afraid of man as much.. and are willing to see if they can eat it. they are hunters. in the real sense...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Now you did it Vince. You are a bear racist. I suppose you think that Brooks bears are republicans too... (insert sarcasm smiley here)
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Technically the same animal here... only difference is diet and location. and and reality it is used mostly for scoring purposes... because a coastal grizz does grow larger. because of the protein rich diet. however those little brooks Grizzles that might grow to 7.5 feet are a hell of a lot tougher and meaner then any Kodiak, for the simple reason THEY HAVE to work for a living.. they are also NOT afraid of man as much.. and are willing to see if they can eat it. they are hunters. in the real sense...
    Exactly my point Vince, I realize they are the same animal with the exceptions you listed. So if he would rather chase grizz with a bow why not do the same with the brownie???

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Now you did it Vince. You are a bear racist. I suppose you think that Brooks bears are republicans too... (insert sarcasm smiley here)
    probably more so then the fat fish grabbing liberal ones.... I mean come on... they grab it JUST because it is there and the more abundant the more they grab. only take the best part (the fat)and leave the rest to the lowly savaging beggars.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

if it makes any difference, I'm no bear racist..I'll shoot either one withh a bow. just different neighborhood and diet...I can take it...

Default Does a Grizz count

AK-L, yours does, I've seen plenty of coast-els and Kodiaks taken that were smaller than your "Grizz"..................

DEDWUF,

I wish that was my grizz, the only thing I got to shoot that grizz with was with a Sony Handycam over the shoulder of hunt_ak.

My first grizz was only at 6'er with my .308.

A bear would never know the difference between a 308 or a 30-06.

I would pick your favorite 180 grain bullet or a Barnes X at 165 grains or 180.

The last 308 I owned I was told it had shot browns bears for many years. A pre-64 winchester owned by John Luster before me. When I got the rifle it came with 15 boxes of remington corelokt 180 grain bullets.

I shot black bear moose and a sheep with it. I used one of those 180 corelokts for a 250 yards shot on my 6+ black bear and a 165 barnes X on the moose.
    In my opinion you really arent upping the anti significanlty until you either use a 338 with a 225 or 250 grain bullet or the 375 caliber.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default Well,,,

AK-L, at least you were there for back-up and now maybe you will start a thread on the best 'handy cam' for bear hunting back up.. the proof is in the pictures

Quote Originally Posted by DEDWUF View Post
    AK-L, at least you were there for back-up and now maybe you will start a thread on the best 'handy cam' for bear hunting back up.. the proof is in the pictures
    HAHA we all know how that thread would play out.

One group would say you don't dare go into the woods w/o a camera of atleast 8 megapixel camera and no less than 40 optical and 1000 digital zoom.

The other group would talk about how a 3 megapixel with 10X optical zoom is all you need. A shot with the object you wishing to capture in the center of the frame and in focus is much better than a magnum caliber camera that the object wishing to be captured out of focus but zoomed in really close. Remember shot placement is the key here.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    HAHA we all know how that thread would play out.

One group would say you don't dare go into the woods w/o a camera of atleast 8 megapixel camera and no less than 40 optical and 1000 digital zoom.

The other group would talk about how a 3 megapixel with 10X optical zoom is all you need. A shot with the object you wishing to capture in the center of the frame and in focus is much better than a magnum caliber camera that the object wishing to be captured out of focus but zoomed in really close. Remember shot placement is the key here.

i we could swear on here i would say NO... never mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL

meet on face book here

I'd get a .30/06 over a .308 anyday. And what is wrong with a .223?
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Hey thanks for the input guys! I think i've made up my mind and go with the .308. Like I said, if I do go out for a "grizz" hunt I'll probably be bow hunting, but for that "you never know" moment where I feel like toting a rifle I'll have something to take with me. In the mean time it'll be punching paper and some long range fun...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast