Thread: Floating the Sag

Default Floating the Sag

Given the traffic on the Haul Road, all the stories, and past experiences, I have been considering hiking in off the road, or possibly doing some kind of float down the Sag, to bowhunt. I have heard that one can put in near the road, float a given distance, and take out near the road. Has anyone done this/does it sound feasable? How are the water levels in the Sag? Is it a one man deal, or possibly a larger raft/cataraft with more weight? Also, this may sound like a dumb question, but if one is going to hike in off the road, what is the main consideration in picking a spot to start hiking? Seeing caribou, a parking spot, etc? I have the permit to be able to hike along the pipeline. Thanks.

This can be very productive. Certains areas of the river can be very shallow and in other areas it can get swift. Once you put in you should not have to much trouble finding a ride back to your vehicle. Being on the river will cut down on allot of pressure. If you go with someone else this could help out greatly.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Thanks, Gary.