Thread: what year?

Default what year?

I Enclosed a pic of the boat my wife bought me while I am deployed here in Iraq. I was curious if anyone can tell me the year of the engine (she forgot) or anything else about this model engine? All she remembers is that its a 40 horsepower jet. I hope someone can help and thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It looks like an early nineties motor, I had one similar to it, it never gave me any trouble, I used the snot out of it for 15 yrs.

On another note, I appreciate your service, hurry home so you can go fishing with your new boat.

Mike

Default I cant say the year, but...

Quote Originally Posted by wiso_67 View Post
    I Enclosed a pic of the boat my wife bought me while I am deployed here in Iraq. I was curious if anyone can tell me the year of the engine (she forgot) or anything else about this model engine? All she remembers is that its a 40 horsepower jet. I hope someone can help and thanks.
    Thats a great vintage of the yamaha 40 I know that! My folks neighbors ran a bunch of them for their lodge probably in the late 90's early 2000's? They loved them for the standpoints of reliability and performance in commercial rental use. How in the world does a guy get his wife to buy him a jetboat while he's out of town? (Way to go!)

Default It is 2008 guys.......soon to be 2009.

But I think that is a 90s motor.

Default Have her look at the model number on the transom bracket.

The last number in the model corresponds with the model year. P = 1991, Q = 1992, R = 1993, and so on. I saw that boat for sale and it didn't last long. I personally don't like jets on inflatables, but you got a smokin' deal. You can always throw that motor on a jon boat or put a prop on your inflatable if the combination does not work well together. I agree with the previous post that those are wonderful motors. Stay safe over there, and thanks for you service.

You're going to have a blast with that, we had something similar for many years. Will go just about anywhere and easy to transport. Good luck to you and thank you. BTW, your wife must be great, what a nice gift for you.

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the great info, the wife is pretty cool she even went to moose camp 7 months pregnant. The raft is a Polaris Spirit made by a company by Vancover B.C. I have heard nothing but good things about yamaha boat motors, and statements so far have confirmed that.
    thanks again, cant wait to get home and try it out in about 15 months, going to head towards PWS and look for bears.

Default Raft

Polaris rafts are made in Langley B.C., not far from my digs. Been in the plant to check them out before I bought mine. In my opinion one of the best made. Not cheap but I do know its hard to put a cut in one. Tried that a few times. Good luck over there and when you get home getting a bear. Sounds like you already have a "keeper" for a wife.

Jets can work just fine on inflatables. I had a 20 Jet on a 12 foot Quicksilver inflatable several years ago. Once we got the transom height right, the thing was great; 2 guys and camping gear would plane with no problem. we managed to get it on step with 5 people in it once...Don't remember how we managed to cram 5 of us in that little boat, though. Anyway, with that 40 Yamaha Jet on there, you'll be set up good for the Chena, Salcha, Gulkana, Chatanika, etc...and PWS...although you'd be better off with a prop out there.

A friend had that engine on an 18 foot jon boat, and they had no problems getting 3-4 guys and a week's worth of campin gear where they needed to go.