Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposed new forums

Arrow Proposed new forums

There have been a number of suggestions for new Alaska outdoors forums. It is relatively easy to add new forums, and we are willing to do so, but we also want to insure adequate moderation of these forums.

Here are the ones that have been requested:
    1. Bush flying ACTIVATED
    2. Scuba diving
    3. Camping
    If you have other ideas, please post them here. We can't guarantee that any of these will wind up as forums, but we will seriously consider them.

I won't answer every post that is made here, but I do read these from time to time. Some of these have real potential. Thanks, guys.......David
    Last edited by Webmaster; 08-19-2006 at 14:29. Reason: Additional information

Wildlife Viewing

Default Scuba!

Dave,

SCUBA might be worth a try... I think I could get some folks here for that one. If not, you could always dump it later...

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default How about trying.

I like the new forums very much, I thank you for all your work.

One thing I am finding is I am missing posts under "New Post" and have to go to all the forums to find what I have missed. This may be something I am doing wrong.

I would prefer fewer sub-forums, it's easier to keep track.

What about adding the new sub-forums. In 2-3 months if there are very few posts they can be removed, starting with Dog mushing. Nobodys feelings are hurt and everybody is happy.

Default Here's another-

David,

How about one on "Constipated Political Views"? I wouldn't post in it, but it would give folks a place to send me!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

Default gold panning

This one might not work here, but it is an outdoors activity. The price of gold is high but falling.

ACTIVATED PROSPECTING 19 AUG 06
    Last edited by Webmaster; 08-19-2006 at 14:30.

Default Mining and Panning!

Quote Originally Posted by nielsenwa
    This one might not work here, but it is an outdoors activity. The price of gold is high but falling.
    Great idea! I know there is a lot of interest in this area. I wonder though if it fits within the scope of this site. I think it might draw more interest if it was broader though. Perhaps "Mining and Panning"? That way you get the dredge guys, plus folks interested in other minerals too. Great idea.

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan
    David,

How about one on "Constipated Political Views"? I wouldn't post in it, but it would give folks a place to send me!

-Mike
    Now that's funny stuff right there.

Or maybe a "Banter" forum to send those who disagree with your views.

Default Taxidermy

David,

What about Taxidermy ? I have been doing taxidermy for over 13 years and It seems there are a few other taxidermist on this forum that might share their wealth of wisdom, Not only would it be a good place to ask questions from a first time hunter or veteran that wants their first kill mounted. But it would be helpful to the taxidermist in the long run, After all a great mount starts or ends in the field by the person who harvested it and that only makes for a better mount once it gets to the taxidermist.

Roger

Question Boating Electronics

Just wondering if there might be any interest in a separate forum specifically for electronics and related issues within the boating forum. "thehulltruth.com" has such a forum and I have found it both useful and interesting, and tremendously well attended. The knowledge gleaned I have found there to be invaluable. Unfortunately, it pretty much covers the whole country and does not have much related to Alaska. What do you think?

Default NEW forum proposal..

How about a prospecting section? Prospecting is a nice hobby to spend in the outdoors and it is family orientated and can be fun and you just never know what you might find. Just my thought.

ACTIVATED 19 AUG 06
    Last edited by Webmaster; 08-19-2006 at 14:30.

Default Trapping

Has anyone mentioned it yet? ACTIVATED 19 AUG 06
    Last edited by Webmaster; 08-19-2006 at 14:31.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

On most other forums that I frequent, most subjects fit under the general discussion forum, and although this has its good and bad points, it does promote use of the search feature. I've seen forums with too many categories and some with too few. It's nice to have this new software and the seemingly endless flexability to add/modify however there has to be a balance. Alaska is a big place with so much to offer it stands to reason that an Alaska forum would need to be very diverse too, but it is a balancing act trying to be all things to all people. The point of these thoughts is just to take it slow and don't try to do everything at once as GOOD improvements in my opinion are meant to be more of an evolutionary process than a revolutionary one.

I'd like to add that to date this site is very user friendly, organized and well laid out. This is probably to do with the excellent management on duty.

Keep up the good work.

Tony

Smile Wildlife Photography

A Very Popular Facet Of Photography. The Bird Watchers Flock To Alaska In Summer Just For This. And Everyone Who Hunts And Fishes Takes Pictures Of Wildlife Or Atleast Enjoys Viewing Them. There Is Alot Of Interest In This And Several Webpages/forums Dedicated To Wildlife Photography. Why Not Have One Here. People Could Post Pics Of Animals And Fish. It Would Be Great!
    Dan Hall
    Nome

Smile Fly Tying

Fly Tying Would Be A Hit. I Have Been Reading On The Fly Fishing Forum Quite A Bit. I Know There Are Alot Of People Up Here Tying Their Own. This Would Be A Great Place To Swap Recipes And Share Ideas. Especially In The Winter When Fly Fisherman Are , Well, Tying Flies. Great Potential Here In My Opinion. "the Fly Tyers Bench" Has A Nice Ring To It!

Default Swap n Sell

Categories under Swap n Sell would be great. Suggested Categories:

Boats
    Guns
    Planes
    Misc
    Trailers
    ATVs
    Etc.......

This would be great when shopping for specific items.

I do like the new format. A big at-a-boy to you guys.

Default Gear and Gear Reviews Forums?

How about Gear discussion and Gear Review Forums? ACTIVATED

Default RV's or Recreational Vehicles

This could encompass travel trailer maintenace tips or motorized RV's to P/U Camper how-to's do's and dont's. The field is pretty wide open here with this as a forum for us all. Thanks for the consideration!

Thumbs up Gold Panning and Electronics

I will second (or third) a forum on gold panning ACTIVATED 19 AUG 06 and also a sub section to electronics on boats.

The ones that you have now are great and really help people out. It makes people feel closer when they can actually talk to people about ideas/concerns or just need info!

Great site and I promote it when ever I can!

How about a survival forum. Up here isnt exactly like outside. alot of folks have never hunted up here or they have done once or twice. who knows maybe the info would help someone out.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast