Thread: Sheep and weather

Default Sheep and weather

Question about your sheep hunts and the weather you have encountered.
    I have only hunted them 2 seasons so far! Both in the Alaska Range and both the beginning 10-13 days of the season.
    First year was warm, sunshine for the entire hunt. I mean cool at night and in the shade but as far as rain, there was very very little.
    This year was nothing but rain. Not every day but pretty close. Enough to make me question the type and style of raingear I had and what I may carry the next time I go.

Question is basically how was the weather when you hunted?
    Please include:
    The range
    the dates
    as I am sure these make a difference!.

thanks
    Jason

Year 2006
    August 1st. - August 9th
    Brooks Range -
    day 1,2,3 unseasonable warm ( fog would roll in every evening )
    Day 4 rain w/ fog
    Day 5 snow/ sleet / rain /fog
    day 6 beautiful / clear / cool
    day 7 low ceiling / drizzle all day
    day 8 & 9 nice . sunny periods / a few clouds

Hope this helps you .

Every range is differant and every year could be differant .

Good luck

Worst was in the late 90's here in the chugach range. spent 4 days weathered in the tent. wind was pretty strong. with 3 of us in the tent and gear, the tent was still trying to pick up.

Best was about 8 years ago in the wrangells. sunny, not to many clouds, kinda warm but with very little water. Partner got a nice ram. couldnt ask for better conditions..considering.

Jason

You have experienced the nature of sheep hunting, no two hunts are ever the same. I've had everything from 6 inches of snow to shirt sleeve weather. Last time I hunted the area I hunted this year I had 10 days of nearly perfect weather. Sunny and mid 50's. This year I had 2 days of sleet and snow mixed with very high winds. In fact my trusty old ten was ripped to shreds ending my hunt early. I pack for the worst I think will get thrown at me, that way at least I'll only be uncomfortable rather than hypodermic. Heavy packs, injuries, exposure and discomfort are part of the game, might be why there are lots of new sheep hunters but few who can be found alpine year after year. I manly hunt the chugach range but recently had to branch out more do to reg changes. I never travel far from south central to hunt mainly because of monetary restrictions.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

wrangells 2005 august 8-12.
    hot as blazes, smoke everywhere. my buddy and i both got rams opening morning.
    had to put the meat in the shade of a big rock, i bet it was nearly 80 in the afternoon.
    not a lick of rain, water in the high country was an issue....
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default last year

the talkeetnas had inches of snow up high the first week.....anyways it can do anything at anytime anywhere up here..you just go when you can and deal with it...some times you can use bad weather to your advantage....like heavy snow in late season may push animals down or clouds moving in and out may hide a stalk..rocks are slippery when wet and the grass is worse.....and its worse when its frozen and still worse yet when theres inches or feet of snow covering up all the good fun stuff to twist your ankles on....another thing i have also noticed as when it is an abnormally hot year the sheep will be closer to gaciers and water...cant blame them....05 was terrible...my clothes actually faded in 7 days you could see where my binos straps were....
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Hunted north side of the Brooks Range this year. Last 8 days of the season. It started VERY COLD. Snow everywhere. Eventually it warmed up to about 40 before we left. The first part of the hunt we had a little trouble getting water, we got some, but had to look really hard for it. Obviously no rain, never wore our rain gear.

Two years ago I hunted the north side of the Wrangell Mountains. Middle of the season for a week. It was really warm. We got rained on the first day, but nothing after that. There was a web page posted on this site, perhaps in July/August, with historical weather records for Alaska. It was pretty handy. Where I went this year it was pretty much right on average for what the web site had indicated.

You name it, I've seen it. I have hunted every range in the state. Encountered minus five degrees all the way up to over ninty degrees. Sun, rain, sleet, snow, hail, all of it. But the most difficult weather I have had to deal with was WIND. In the mountain passes, it can be brutal enough to make me whine a bit. I have been forced off the tops of the hills on quite a few ocasssions. Weather is the number one factor for a make or break hunt. All other obstacles can be overcome.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Well lets not forget that the end of July and beginning of Aug this year was one of the wettest in the interior history... Nenana flooded for the first time. and huge amounts of damage was done across the Tanana Valley. on AUG 8th i was unable to cross the creek at the claim due to the water level and the ATV nearly washed away.... normally i walk across with ankle shoes....

any way my point is... try NOT to set your calendars around this year.. It was different all the way around.. including the snow on the AK range AUG 10th...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Olgilvies, mid August, several years back. Good clear weather most of the hunt, 60s during the day 40s at night. After taking sheep, spent a miserable night up high as an occluded front moved in, didn't get much sleep trying to keep the tent and us from blowing off the mtn. Managed to hike/pack out most of the way over next two days before the serious rains came. Got stranded a week after making it to our takeout point waiting on good flying weather. Darn good thing we had that sheep meat, but after week of eating nothing but sheep was ready for something different.

First week of October on a Chugach archery tag...2005 I believe..sunny and clear all week with highs in the 50's and a little frost at night. The only year I can remember good weather for that hunt and we still didn't get a sheep.

This year it snowed in the Talkeetnas near opening day in August.

Go figure.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

2007 Wrangells
    Aug 21-26: Rain and fog right to tent
    Aug 27: Snow

will try nuzotins in 2009
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Default hunt first 8 days of season

and have seen it all. When it rains, quality rain gear is a must. Lots of time spent in the tent, so having a good tent is also a MUST. I am carrying a small 8x8 tarp now just in case it is needed to "get" out of the tent and breath a bit. One season my partner and I spent 6 consecutive days trying to stay dry. The rain NEVER let up. It was a learning time for sure.