Thread: Spring v/s fall for a brown bear bowhunt?

Default Spring v/s fall for a brown bear bowhunt?

I'm new to this sight but I've dreamed of hunting Alaska all my life so I thought I'd join and hopefully learn something about hunting the state I've dreamed of hunting all my life. I'm looking to try to draw and book a Kodiak brown bear hunt and would like to hear some opinions on why fall is better for bowhunting v/s spring hunt. I'd like to hear why you feel one is better than the other. Most outfitters have told me fall is best but a couple of the premier outfitters on Kodiak have said it does not really matter, that spring can be just as good as the fall even if your at it with a bow. Your input would be greatly appreciated!

I'm pretty new myself, but if remember correctly, if you're looking for a nice hide, spring is the time to hunt. The bears are pretty groggy in early spring so they may be less alert and easier to get close to. In the fall, they are on the move quite a bit to bulk up for the winter.

I'm sure someone who knows more than me will comment soon.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by WIsam View Post
    I'm pretty new myself, but if remember correctly, if you're looking for a nice hide, spring is the time to hunt. The bears are pretty groggy in early spring so they may be less alert and easier to get close to. In the fall, they are on the move quite a bit to bulk up for the winter.

I'm sure someone who knows more than me will comment soon.
    LOL i am sure glad you said that last line...

Don't count on EVER finding a groggy Bear..Never, Never EVER...Spring gives you a longer coat...

fall gives you a full one. and fatter bear.

spring bear taste better.

LATE fall taste ok....
    both blk and Brn...

Never underestimate a bear They are by far the most intelligent North American animal you Will HUNT... both species...

use you common sense.. and you will never have a bad encounter with one.

I have put many bears. in the freezer, i have some on the wall. The ones that got away with it.... they are the best of all....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Here is a thread we had a few weeks back.. there is a lot of good info in it..http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=42231
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Vince gave some great advice, another reason is BOWHUNTERS have a better chance of sitting on a salmon stream and have the bears come to them in the fall when the bears are on the fish. In the spring you hunt the grass. They are easier to pattern in the fall on the fish.

Fall has way shorter days, spring has longer days.

More leaves on the brush in the fall. less in the spring.

If it was me and I wanted to kill a brownie with my bow I would hunt the fall and find a spot they are fishing and make a blind downwind.

Your guide will now all this, if you are not a resident you will need to be guided.

Good Luck

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Thanks for your replys. I'll most likely try and book for the fall, fall for bowhunting has been the advise given by most everyone I've spoken with. STID2677, I'm retired army as well! Colorado was my last duty station and I chose to stay!. Was Alaska your last duty station or were you born and raised there? I sure hope to hunt the LAST FRONTIER someday!

some of the guys on the south end have beach bears in the spring, they just walk the beaches, those are great set ups for bowhunters as well. but without a food source to hold the bears and bring in the bears, like fall, your kinda on a hit and miss. and kiss that groggy bear theory right out the door. You will get different advice from different guides based on how their bookings are going as well...whatever hunt they have open...is the best one. so it is wise to pay attention to the other advice you recieve. This is where references are a great asset!! Good luck!
    I was at the airport one spring in kodiak and heard a guy tell his story about shooting a bear right by its den with his bow, the entire story was loud enough for everyone in the airport to here. a week later i read the same EXCAT story on a forum...only he shot it with a rifle in that story, i PM'ed him and of course he didn't reply to me. thought that was funny.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Thanks BRWNBR,
    Just so you no I'm the guy form Colorado Springs who is hoping to book with you in 2010 on Kodiak. Even though I've consistently heard from other guides, including you, that fall is best for bow I still like to hear opinions from others and hopefullly pick up another bit of knowledge about brownies. After reading many of your threads and posts on this forum its very evident your extremely knowledgable about Brown Bear and I have no doubt I've made the right decision in choosing you to guide me. Thanks again.

thanks for the kind words and i commend you on doing some research, so many guys just make a call and book a hunt and wonder why it wasn't anywhere near their expectations...research only makes the trip better.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212