Thread: Moving to Alaska

Default Moving to Alaska

Hey guys, I am in the Air Force and just got an assignment to Anchorage Alaska. I love to fish and have a 17 1/2ft Grizzly Tracker, I was wondering if my boat is to small for the fishing you guys do out here or if I would get good use out of it. I would hate to drive it out there and not be able to use it. Thanks for any advice you guys can give me.

David

Default fish'n

Pick your weather and there you could probably even use it some in the Salt. There are inland lakes where your boat will be perfectly fine on. There is great opportunity for lakers in some lakes. Silvers in valdez - your boat would work great in close. It would actually probably be too big/deep to run the rivers with.

Grizzly Tracker 17 1/2' should be a great boat for up here. Slap a jet foot on the motor and run the rivers, and possibly some salt water on flat days. It will work fine for the lakes, just figure out what it does best and there is water up here to use it.

Default Depends On What You Want To Fish For

That style of boat will be OK for the rivers - but I personally wouldn't take the chance of running it in salt water. If you stayed within a couple miles of port - you might be OK - But sometimes "might" is not good enough when your talking the safety of someone's life. I personally would sell the boat and purchase what you really want & need up here, after a quick review of the type of fishing you want to do. There's always good deals on the EAFB base for sale lot. if you decided to haul it up here - I think you will find the resale value would a lot better where your at.

Default i dont know about that

you could probably get some decent money for that up here, that is if its the boat i looked up. but i agree, and definently would NOT take that out in the ocean more than a mile or 2 out, even if that. it can all change so fast, but thats even if you like that type of fishing, which in my opinion is overrated and a drag.. its cool for meat runs and such. but definently not my totaly ak experience in my opinion. i prefer rivers and lakes. ocean fishing is fun, but not for halibut and silvers, which your boat can go up
    a number of rivers here to connect with each type of salmon. also a different boat than you might see up here. you having that boat means to me that you like the terrain you bought it for...

just my opinion ..

I too am stationed up here at Elmendorf, and when I first got up here I went over to Ft Rich (both bases are connected) and rented out a few different kinds of boats to see what kinds I liked more than others. Here's a link to their website if you want to check it out: http://www.usarak.army.mil/FRAMWR/ODRPricesApr08.pdf

p.s. You're gonna love it up here. I've been here for 4 years, and unfortunately only have 2 left (did an IPCOT). I'd stay here forever if I could.

Yes, Elmendorf rules. I just got here a few months ago and I LOVE it.

Default >>>------->

Salute!

I think fishslayers suggestion is worthy of you looking into; especially if money is an issue. I have found in my short 5 years here, that there is no magic boat. All of us have to compromise on boat design if we fish more than one type of water. What ever you decide, have a great time up here, just be safe. All this advice goes out the window if money is not a concern. If that is the case, sell yours, research, and enjoy a brand new one built for what you want to do the most.

Default Or better yet

get one friend with a really good riverboat, one with a really good ocean boat, and one with a party barge for Big Lake. That way you'll still have money left over for your PIPER CUB......