Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big game taken by handgun!

Default Big game taken by handgun!

Lets Here some stories on the big game taken by pistol. Caliber used and the effectivness. Would you do it again with the same pistol? or use something different? Looking forward to your experiences!

Moose, 52 inches, called it in to 10 yards. Shot it in the head a couple of times and then hit it quartering away and it dropped. Used a FA Casull with custom made Barnes Monothilic solids in 265 grains. Moose didnt know he was dead after the first shot.

Many blacktail and one mule deer. Various 44 magnums. All shots under 75 yards. None of the handguns wore scopes. All were taken with 240 grain Hornadys.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by tnjquinones View Post
    Lets Here some stories on the big game taken by pistol. Caliber used and the effectivness. Would you do it again with the same pistol? or use something different? Looking forward to your experiences!
    Elk and moose with 44 mag and 300 grain hard cast. All inside 50 and all one-shot. Lots of deer with the 44 and an assortment of cast and jacketed, and no probs out to a witnessed and measured 77 yards. One elk with a 357 Herret and another with 35 Remington in Contenders. Deer in contenders with 7mmTCU, 6mmTCU, 44 mag, 357 mag, 357 super, 256 Win, 30 Herret, and probably a couple more I'm forgetting. I've also taken deer with 44 special, 45 LC, 41 mag, 357 mag, 38 special, 45 ACP and 9mm. Worst performers of the lot were 9mm and 45 auto due to RN bullets, whether soft or hollowpoint didn't matter. Peeeyeeeww! I wouldn't depend on either round for defense, compared to all the other revolver rounds with FN bullets. Even the 38 special with hardcast 160 grain FNs killed better than the 45, with the exception of the Remington 185 grain HPs.

Sitka Blacktails are all I have shot with handguns and follow ups on moose.

44 mag 220 speer half jacketed bullet. Bambi at 25 yards through near shoulder ran 10 yards.

Llama super comanche 6"

-----

41 mag
    293 hardcast small buck 110 yards hit in rear hams drop right there and was finished off without tracking.

210 winchester hollow point doe double lunged at 110yards. Deer ran at the shot and was shot again as fast as I could bring my 300 mag up for a neck shot. The follow up shot was very fast but not needed. I was on the way back to camp and this deer was my last tag so I was ready to call an end to the hunt.

Ruger blackhawk 4 5/8"

-----

9mm Sig Sauer

Doe 147 grain Winchester Black Talon double lung at 15 yards. Deer ran off and was dead in 50feet.

----

454 Casull 340 grain hardcast

small doe 80 yards . Hit in rear leg. Deer was much smaller than I had thought it was and the hit was only about 4" from intended considering the angle of the deer. Bullet took off rear leg and deer was finished about 200 yards from where originally hit. During the tracking though my buddy got his largest deer of the trip. The blood trail went about 50 yards behind where the buck was bedded.

Taurus Raging bull.

All of these bullets went through.

I also hit my moose this year in the ball joint of the shoulder with a follow up broadside shot from my 4" Taurus tracker 41 mag and a Federal castcore 250 grain bullet. The bullet did not make it into the rib cage but seemed to put an end to the chase. I think the bullet was between the front quarter and the rib cage as I never did find the bullet. Shot was around 75 Yards.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default Contender's

45/70 for deer on kodiak and a 30-30 bbl for caribou in Mulchatna. Been wanting to whack a moose and bear w/the 45/70 bbl.
    BK

In Arizona elk with .357 Mag., mule deer with .45 Long Colt, countless small game and a javelina with .44 Colt Navy black powder. I have taken 6 javelina in all, all in HAM hunts, all but 1 with handgun. The one odd ball was with a muzzle stuffer, I'm not a bow kind of guy. (no BOOM)

Lots of hogs when I lived in Texas with .22's to .44's but thats when the dogs have them bayed up.

Andy

Default Big game taken.

Thanks guys keep em coming. Very interesting stuff. Appreciate all the replys.
    Last edited by tnjquinones; 12-13-2008 at 11:56. Reason: forgot s in guys

I've taken several Sitka blacktails with my 10mm. The closest was about 10 feet, the farthest about 80 yards.

Deer and pigs with 357 180gr all under 50 yards.One deer with 45ACP stright down through the shoulder blades,never took a step.Deer 44 mag 320gr JDJ hard cast,way more bullet than needed for deer but great on hogs.

Default .480 Ruger

8 1/2 foot Brown bear 45yards. Hit him just slightly behind the front shoulder. Using a Ruger super redhawk 7.5" barrel, 350Gr Hornady XTP. Took two shoots, both bullets completely made a pass through. Recovered my first bear at 20 yards from where I first hit him.

Default Pistol Shooting

I was wondering when someone was going to post shooting a bear! Great!

Default Black Bear

Took a black bear at about 25 yards with my Taurus Raging Bull in .454 Casull. Single shot, spine hit.

Had to use the handgun because after two attempts with the Guide Gun, I couldn't figure out that I didn't get the "earth-shattering kaboom" because of the $&*% cross-bolt safety! Pretty embarrassing, but pretty cool to get to use the handgun!

Chris

Default oinker

Shot a small (75lb) wild hog in Oklahoma with my Ruger Single Six 6 1/2 with the magnum cyl and CCI solids.Would not recommend it for a hog gun but it was better than nothing.Also took a coyote with same revolver but using the LR cyl I know its not big game but its pretty big for a 22. Pig took 3 shots and the song dog dropped after the first round.

Used my 9.5 inch Super Redhawk in 44 mag to take a black bear over bait at about 15 yards. I was using 300 grain XTPs. Bear went about 20 yards; one shot through the heart and lungs did him in. Bullet went clean through. I plan on taking a moose with it next.
    Henry Bowman for President

To all you handgun bear hunters: Please post some pictures of your kills? Also, please list your load used?
    Steve

Default caribou

I have shot 2 caribou with a Ruger Blackhawk .44 mag. I think the bullets were 240 grain Remington soft points. First one was about 100 yards. Hit him high in the shoulder and he fell over and kicked a couple of times and died. The next one was in the trees and about 20 yards away. I finally hit him in the neck on the 4th shot. I still remember branches flying as I was shooting. I have no idea how many snowshoe hares i shot years ago with a Mod. 29 Smith and 240 grain bullets stuffed in .44 Special cases. I need to shoot more. If I was to take up big game hand gun hunting I would have to limit myself to 50 yards.

2 deer with a .44mag and one with my .357. all under 25yrds with hard cast bullets. The first with my .44 i shot a deer almost lengthways with complete penetration.

I took a deer with a Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter .44 Mag. It was about 35 yards in the brush with open sights. I used plain old cheap Winchester 240 grain JSP. The deer was hit just behind the lung and it dropped immediately and kicked for about a minute before expiring. It was hard to find the wound on the deer. I was amazed to find no blood spatter and I had to look hard to see the wound because it was more like a slit than a typical gunshot.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. - Henry David Thoreau

I shot a 6 1/2 black bear last spring down by Homer with a 454 Casul , 245 grain hollow points. I shot the bear in the head when he was about 15 feet away coming straight at me. The impact spun the bear like a tornado, he did a couple 360's snapping and snarling, his hind legs kicked up sand and gravel that was actually hitting me as I was just kneeling on the ground. He then took off running and made it about 20-25 yds before falling over dead. I was very happy with the caliber and the bullet, as I was hunting alone. My pistol is a Ruger Super Redhawk and I'm glad I brought it with me that day as a back up to my bow.

These are tough acts to follow, but Cheechako me used to hunt deer in Montana with Contender, 14 inch, 30:30 barrel. Killed several nice deer, both Whitetail and Muleys. All one shot kills at about 100 yards. Ammo was hand loads with either Sierra or Hornady "single shot pistol bullet" in 135 grains, as I recall-it has been awhile back. Those bullets expand perfectly at the lower velocities of the pisols. Most memorable hunt was on an Island in the Yellowstone river. After walking thru a thistle patch I sat down to pick the thistles out of my wool pants. Finished and looked at the willows along the edge of the Island, spotted a triangle of black dots, scoped it out with binocs and made out a piece of antler here and there. He was absolutely motionless, didnt even blink. I crawled to a nearby log to use as a rest for my contender, took several minutes to find my perfectly camoflaged target. If he had kept his eyes closed I would not have been able to locate him. I held just below the lowest dot (his nose) and squeezed. Deer exploded from the willows at the explosion, I watch for awhile, then started tracking. I could not find any blood. Finally went back to the spot where the buck had been standing, he was there with his legs crumpled under him. Bullet went through his adams apple, he did not get one bound off. A very merciful end. Packed him out by canoe. Excellent 5 pt rack, corn fed buck, very good eating.
    Great thread! Thanks.
    NRA Lifetime Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast