Thread: Anyone in Fairbanks give oaring lessons?

Default Anyone in Fairbanks give oaring lessons?

I am floating the Kongakut in ANWR next June. Been on lots of float trips, but only one in a raft this past Sept. And it was only a class I river. Very limited time behind the oars. There are a few miles of class III rapids on the Kongakut from what I have read. I was hoping to come into Fairbanks a day or two early if I can find someone to take me and the wife out on a nearby river and teach me the basics of oaring a raft. This would go a long way towards ensuring a safer float trip. Does anyone know of anyone in Fairbanks who would be willing to do this? Not looking for a hand out. I am expecting to pay (reasonable rates) for oaring lessons. Thanks for any suggestions.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default NO worries & No Cost

As long as you give me at least two weeks notice I will be available to help you out.

I will not take you money for picking up on my bad habits :-)

Limited options will be the Chena and or Chat for a one day 4-8 hour trip. Suggest the Chena 44 mile down to 38 mile it gives you some braids, tight water, and some rocks to bounce off then basic Class I not to mention some decent Grayling fishing.

I do not know if Pristine Ventures offers such an thing however I do know that Larry a couple of years ago through TTW offered such a class.

So email or call a couple of weeks prior to your arrival. The only time I will not be around this year will be 4-20 Sept becuase Moosey is going on a float hunt!

Richard Mousseau
    www.bluemooserafting.com

there are allot of good rivers back east too. maybe give NOC a call and tell them what you want. they don't have rafting instruction on their site but i'd be surprised if they turned you away since they do allot of rafting and teach canoe/kayak.

http://www.noc.com/index.php/ps09-pr...-programs.html

also, maybe look for input on easy ,novice rivers back east for practice on boatertalk.com or mountainbuzz.com. boatertalk has a Raft Zone too. probably have an easy time picking up a trained guide's instruction in NC for some side $$

anyway,fwiw.

Default oaring

provided you give me a little advance notice I'd be glad to take you out too, just don't listen to blue moose tell you how crazy I am... or look at my youtube video on rafting (search for sbiinc).

and I certianly wouldn't take money for a nice day on any river...

B

Quote Originally Posted by indyjones View Post
    there are allot of good rivers back east too. maybe give NOC a call and tell them what you want.
    http://www.noc.com/index.php/ps09-pr...-programs.html

anyway,fwiw.
    Thanks for the suggestion man. I contacted the head instructor at Nantahala Outdoors. They would be willing to do some custom instruction in an oared raft. Problem is, we don't have the time. The wife and I are from NC, but working on an island off Cape Cod, Mass. We don't get back to NC until June 4th and will be heading up to Alaska within a day or two of then. Basically, getting home, packing gear, and flying up.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Bluemoose and Sbiinc,

Thanks for the offers. I really appreciate your willingness to help. I also appreciate the offer to do it for free. We will have to meet in the middle on the prices. I will send you both pm's for more details. The tentative dates for the Kongakut are June 10-20. Expecting to get into Fairbanks by June 7-8.

Default Minor Correction-

Dan,

It's called "rowing". Not "oaring". Okay, I'll sit down and shut up now.

:0

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default ROWING on the Kenai?

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    I am floating the Kongakut in ANWR next June. Been on lots of float trips, but only one in a raft this past Sept. And it was only a class I river. Very limited time behind the oars. There are a few miles of class III rapids on the Kongakut from what I have read. I was hoping to come into Fairbanks a day or two early if I can find someone to take me and the wife out on a nearby river and teach me the basics of oaring a raft. This would go a long way towards ensuring a safer float trip. Does anyone know of anyone in Fairbanks who would be willing to do this? Not looking for a hand out. I am expecting to pay (reasonable rates) for oaring lessons. Thanks for any suggestions.
    Dan,

If you have any time at all in the Anchorage area, and schedules permit, I'd be happy to take you on the upper Kenai for some rowing practice. Same goes for anyone else out there who might need some help. Drop me a line. And no, I would not charge anything for something like this...

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Mike,

Thanks for the offer on the Kenai. I do appreciate it.

And being from North Carolina, oaring sounded right Go figure. Rowing it is...