Thread: So how does this work??

Default So how does this work??

If I understand correctly, you can still hunt and shoot fox in unit 13 under a trapping license.....with no season bag limit. If you are taking them under a hunting license, you can only shoot 10 per year. Why are you able to hunt/shoot fox under a trapping license??? I thought that if you aren't setting a trap, then you would need to get a hunting license, as it is hunting and not trapping. It seems like a gaping loophole in the system to me. I am hoping that I am just misreading the regs... any ideas??

You are right and it is by design. I guess the point is to force predator hunter to buy a trapping license if they are taking more than 10 foxes.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    You are right and it is by design. I guess the point is to force predator hunter to buy a trapping license if they are taking more than 10 foxes.
    and the only point in that would be that were you taking more then 10 per year you are no longer doing it for Just subsistence but probably for some profit as well. as is the foundation of fur, trapping to begin with. and as far as trapping goes, you are hunting just with different takes..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

The mgmt/research/study of furbearers like fox is mostly covered with funds from trapping licenses. I'd encourage you to buy a trapping license and support furbearer mgmt.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by FishinHank View Post
    .....Why are you able to hunt/shoot fox under a trapping license??? I thought that if you aren't setting a trap, then you would need to get a hunting license, as it is hunting and not trapping. It seems like a gaping loophole in the system to me. I am hoping that I am just misreading the regs... any ideas??
    I know trappers who don't own any traps. They call and/or bait and shoot.

The trapper's license identifies the holder as a harvester of fur for commercial purposes.

If you hunt/shoot fur under a hunting license (and many furbearers aren't open to hunters at all), then you cannot sell the fur.

I have both a hunting and trapping license, as I know how important it is to support both aspects here in alaska. I kind of understand now why it is the way it is, but I still dont agree with it. The way I see it is if you are taking animals under a trapping license, they should be caught in some type of trap. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by FishinHank View Post
    I have both a hunting and trapping license, as I know how important it is to support both aspects here in alaska. I kind of understand now why it is the way it is, but I still dont agree with it. The way I see it is if you are taking animals under a trapping license, they should be caught in some type of trap. Just my opinion.
    What is a Trap? I think # 2 and 3 fits predator calling pretty well. A fox is certainly unwary if you are able to shoot it. I would definitely think being shot would qualitfy as an "undesirable circumstance from which escape is difficult"

trap 1 (trp)
    n. 1. A contrivance for catching and holding animals, as a concealed pit or a clamplike device that springs shut suddenly.
    2. A stratagem for catching or tricking an unwary person or animal.
    3. A confining or undesirable circumstance from which escape or relief is difficult: fell into poverty's trap.
    4. A device for sealing a passage against the escape of gases, especially a U-shaped or S-shaped bend in a drainpipe that prevents the return flow of sewer gas by means of a water barrier