Thread: Who's going out huntin Fri night?

Default Who's going out huntin Fri night?

Well the full moon is tomorrow and the weather is calling for partly clear. I am planning on making a nightime run out if I can. Anyone else going out?

Default I am

I went out last night and just got back in from being out again. Beautiful night out there, clear as a bell, bright, shooting stars the whole works, but no critters. I'll be going out again tomorrow night. Good luck to you and every one else that makes it out.

Happy hunting

Shoe

I wish I just got my speaker in the mail, and still have to arrange my homemade e-caller, after that I'm hoping to get out. I was going to get my new .223 sighted in this month also and do some calling on the peninsula hopefully, and maybe around glenallen, if anybody has information for the glenallen area I sure could use it you can PM me if you would like. Good luck to you guys this weekend.

Default E-caller

Good luck getting you're caller together. I just got done using mine for the third night in a row. Man I love that thing. It even worked at -20 deg. tonight for the four hours we were out. Hope you get a chance to go out.

Shoe

Man, it was perfect out at 6am this morning. The moon was straight overhead and really, really bright.

Unfortunately, I can't make it out as planned this weekend. Too many things to do before I leave town.

I'm heading out tonight after a small Christmas party we are having for my wife and her co-workers. I might even drag hunt_ak along .

Brian - the moon last night was awesome! I REALLY wanted to go out, but this little thing called 'work' keeps getting in the way . Hopefully tonight will be a repeat.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Hope fully I will be out making some noise. I put together a 15min sequence so we will try that for the first time.

Carl

Possible change of plans? I might be going out after all! I'd better go pick up my whites from my brother and get the .223 out of the safe.

Default May bring..

my caller along on the trapline. Might be able to pick up a cat or two. Worth giving it a try!

I'm going, just can't make up my mind where. I don't really have a good place, but I know I won't kill anything sittin on the couch.

Default me too

I'll be out tonight. I couldn't believe how bright it was this morning at 6 just like Brian said. I would like to get up early and go, but I have to go to Fairbanks in the morning and try to get a Christmas present for my wife. Maybe I'll shoot something on my drive in.

Just got off work and was wondering if anyone picked up a critter? It was mighty bright out there on my drive home.

Went out calling Fri evening about 11:00 pm, really cold, really clear, really bright. I never saw a critter or heard a yote howl, but what an absolutely gorgeous night. Just goes to show you dont have to harvest something for it to be a success. I look foreward to tonight to go out again, and if nothing else, I was'nt sittin in front of the t.v. and I never heard my phone ring. Now thats success.

Default getting out

2 nights ago I was cutting wood at 9:30pm in the moon light. It was gorgeous. Wish I was hunting. Last night I tore apart the carb on my Elan, got it back together and believe it or not she runs. So with any luck I'll be out tonight wailing away.
    I heard on the news that the moon is closer to earth now than it has been in a long time. Anybody else hear the same thing? Maybe it will make the dogs more romantic? Want to move more? Hunt more? Be a bit dumber for a guy like me? Wishful thinking.
    So I hope to see none of you out tonight, but wish you all good luck.

Well....

Brian M, hunt_ak and I went out and made three sets last night near Hatchers pass around midnight. We only saw one set of fox tracks and a moose. The only response we got was an owl hooting in the distance and another "yip" of some sort that we couldn't figure out.

Brian's truck said -6* when we got started so it was a brisk night for a walk. It was beautiful though!

Maybe next time!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default No luck

Well, I've been out four nights in a row. Three nights ago I called in two fox, but didn't get a chance to shoot due to unfortunate circumstances (mostly poor stand set up and low light). That was on tuesday night. No luck at all until last night, after a 20 minute stand on the river we decided to bag it and go home because the clouds rolled in and we were loosing our light. I walked over to pick up my e-caller and decided to just give a few yips and a howl on my mouth call. Much to our surprise I got an answer back after about 15 seconds! Of course we got all excited and set back up to try and get him to come in. After another 15 minutes of calling and talking back and fourth it didn't sound like he was coming any closer and my partner was starting to get cold (-20 to-25 last night hear in Nenana), so we got on the sleds and headed home.

The last two full moons we've had, I've had good success calling and talking to the coyotes, so I have to wonder if this moon being closer to the earth than it has been in a long time has got the dog types feeling a little out of sorts? Who knows? The lack of success is certainly not going to keep me from night calling! I love getting out there at night, and will do so when ever I can.

Any other thought on this close moon subject welcome!!

Default Almost

Well a buddy and I went out on friday didn't get going til 9:30 due to his christmas party. Man what a night it was bright and clear and cold, we had -32 everywhere we went. We made 4 stands and never heard or saw a thing until the way home. My partner in crime was a sleep since it was 1am and just before the bridge I spotted some eyes in the ditch, low and behold there was a kitty cat, crouched in the tree line in the ditch. By the time I got the truck stopped and turned around he made it across the road and into the trees on the other side, we shut the truck off and tried to call him back but no show. So besides that cat just some moose and caribou is all we saw.

mike

Default 3am

So I got up at 3 am fri night/Sat morning to go squealing. It was freakin' -32 out, but it was so bright I couldn't help myself. I went down to the river and set up. it was so bright I could even use my bino's to glass. I called for about 20-30 min and then got ready to move to another spot. Just then the clouds started forming and covering the moon. I still went to my next spot, the moon was completely covered but I could still see a little. Did another stet but nothing but cold toes. I was glad that I got out though.
    I was wondering if MikeGSP was from Delta too since he had the same temp. It was like -8 when I went to bed that night and -8 when I got up the next morning. I don't think anybody believed me that it was -32. I saw 3 falling stars and wished for foxes, wolves, and wolverines, but I guess that crap doesn't work.

Default Yup another Deltoid

Yeah we started out on the Ag project and nothing but cold hands, so we went out to the flats and nothing there either but moose and caribou. Heard something that kinda spooked us walking on the road all you could hear was snow crunching and after a few mins of that a moose pooked out from behind the hill, that was the only excitment we had. I take it you are from delta as well?

mike

Default ya,

Ya, I'm from Delta too.