Thread: First boat

Default First boat

Can't decide between a canoe with a square stern or maybe saving up a little more for a small zodiak. I'd like to hunt with it, and I don't have a huge truck to haul anything big. What's a good recomendation for a first boat? How much can you do with a canoe? Any recomendations on good canoes for hunting?

Thanks,
    Bobble

Default frist Boat

if it is for fresh water the canoe should be the # 1 as the inflatable boats are great but no room in side lack of space you need at least a 15 ft. inflatable to be able to go hunting even then not enought room for you an a moose, where a 19 Ft grumam or the 18 Osage sqare stern will get you by with a 10/15 hp motor an a little planing will get you a long way

MY 2 CTS SID

Default my opinion

I have a grumman square stern/ lift with 9 1/2 evinrude. That boat is great very stable and can go a long way on a tank of gas. i mounted a rock hopper to save prop and its already paid off big dividends. My grumman is 16 ft with 1100 lb weight capacity. I have put 3 men and a moose in it and it handled the weight no problem.
    the only draw back to my set up is shallow water, meaning water under 1 foot deep i cant seem to find the right setting on my lift to navigate through it.
    I also just bought a 16ft inflatable with a 40 horsepower jet, but i have yet to launch it into the water.
    I believe it all depends on the waterways you wish to venture on.
    Hope this helps

The inflatables are great, I used to have a 14' Quicksilver, but it was to big to pack very far. I sold it a few years back and now have an old town guide 147, I haven't become much of a canoe pilot yet!!!! But I am very pumped about my change, I just have to get it set up better and keep dry ( personal issue)

Good luck!

Thanks for the replies. I guess I need to figure out which boat will open up more hunting opportunites, the inflatable or the canoe. I think the zodiak would open up more because of its ocean going capabilities, but then, thats for bears and goats, if I think about caribou and moose, and of course bears (they're everywhere), the canoe would be a logical choice for a lot of the lakes and rivers, and it would probably be cheaper.

Next question, I have a Ford Ranger with a V6, will a truck like that with a rack handle a big grumman or osagian?

Thanks for the help fellas.

Bobble

Default Hunting from the road system?

If you are planning on flying in somewhere, an Inflatable is a good way to go, if you are doing stuff from the road system,, the hard boats may work well also..
    I like the versitility of inflatables.
    There is a great inflatable canoe that has a built in transom that is really awesome.
    You are going to want to see this boat.
    you can paddle it like a standard double end canoe, but if you want, you add a motor..
    the transom is inside the boat and has a boot that the lower unit ( Leg ) goes thru to the water..
    You can fly it in to remote areas, or just put it in your car and take it to your favorite water..
    you can haul like 1500 lbs or more in them also, so they make great hunting boats..
    PM me for more info
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default inflatable canoe transom

here is some pictures of the boat I mentioned .
    Motor leg goes thru the floor of the canoe..
    really cool
    Max

When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default Truck size

I used a small Toyota that had a ""very strong cap"" an a 19 ft grumam for a lot of years, the only trouble the cap has to be strong an there is not suffent room in the truck to put all the equement for a hunting trip, my 19 ft weights in at over 125 lbs because of all the extra metal that was installed
    Tyone river is tuff on canoe bottoms

you've gotta love those inflatables........

Default Canoe

the inflatable that is in the phots is good, put a lot of stuff in it an flot out down river, it would be tuff to put a lift on it an go up rivers, but saying that the inflatable canoe has a lot going for it small go in a plane an when you get there blow it up a you get a large canoe/boat that will hall a lot of stuff
    but still not my type of canoe [19 FT Grumam with a lift an a 15 hp 2 cycle with 3 PROPS good, not so good, and the real beat up one]
    the river I run determins what one I will use, that will do me a lot of work [Hunting/fishing just looking around]
    SID