Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: big agnes tents

Default big agnes tents

does anyone have any experiences with big agnes tents. Looking at the royal flush 3. 4 season lightweight tent.

I have a seedhouse solo and it has proven to be a quality tent. Looking at the specs on the royal flush it looks very nice. I would have a hard time spending that much on a BA knowing I could get a Hilleberg for the same money! Have you looked into them?

http://estore.websitepros.com/1764795/-strse-61/Tarra/Detail.bok

Default Copper Spur UL 2

Used the copper spur for 9 days on a sheep hunt this year. I am 5 10 and my partner 6 foot. Had plenty of room. The construction and quality is great. It rained on us most of the time and the tent stayed dry.
    Had a condensation problem when the weather dipped and the tent frosted over. Or breath and body heat frosted the inside as well.
    Over all for the weight, under 4 lbs this was a excellent tent.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I have a seedhouse solo and it has proven to be a quality tent.
    Those Seedhouse SL 1's and 2 are sure hard to beat for the money and weight. Makes it hard for a fella to use a tarp tent when you could literally be encapsulated and dry for under 3 lbs and at about the size of a loaf of bread.

Depends what you want to do with this tent..... I have the seed house 2, it's perfect for one person. For the money/weight you can't beat it. The Royal flush is a nice tent but, is it what you need? What do you wish to "use" this tent for, it's soul purpose is.............

I am looking for a good 2 man sheep, caribou walk-out tent. I am real interested in the hillis, but I found the royal flush for under $500. The positive to the big agnes is it is free standing. I just have not heard much about them. Thanks for the info.

and the royal flush is also over two pounds lighter than the saivo

Quote Originally Posted by akcharlie4 View Post
    I am looking for a good 2 man sheep, caribou walk-out tent. I am real interested in the hillis, but I found the royal flush for under $500. The positive to the big agnes is it is free standing. I just have not heard much about them. Thanks for the info.
    Here is the tent I bought for this years Goat hunt for 2 guys and it worked flawless. It weighs in 2 lbs lighter then the royal flush and a slight bit bigger I believe and it costs less to boot. Nothing but good to say about this tent.

MSR mutha hubba

http://www.msrgear.com/tents/muthahubba.asp

If you are going to go with any of the Big Agnes tents I would highly suggest you get either a Seedhouse SL3, Emerald Mountain & Copper Spur 2 or 3. The Seedhouse SL2 is perfect for my wife and I packraft/hiking when we setup and take down camp everyday and the tent is just a place to crash at the end of each day. Then pack up first thing in the morning. Like AKCUB said its a great fully enclosed tent and a very light weight and size, perfect for that application and I'll be using it for many years to come. The Seedhouse SL2 is enough room for my wife, but be aren't real large people so a 3 man Seedhouse SL3 might be a good idea in your case.

However, if we are going to hike in and base out of one area then I'll be using my Emerald Mountain 3 that thing is huge for only 6.5 pounds with the extended vestibule included. The tent itself is 44 sq ft. and a 28 sq ft front vestibule and a 10 sq ft rear vestibule. Probably the best I've ever had for backpacking.

That said, being as Kodiak may be in my future in the new few years, I'm thinking I'm probably going to sell this tent and pick up the Hilliberg Nallo GT3. Never had a problem with the Emerald Mountain in the wind, but it is rated as 3 season and Kodiak, from what I've read/heard, often isn't to kind to 3 season tents.

Here is a pic of each of my Big Agnes tents:

Emerald Mountain SL3 with extended Vestibule:

Seedhouse SL2:

Alaska_Lanche,
    That's a massive tent!!!!

I am a supporter of Big Agnes anything.
    They are developed in Steamboat Springs, Colorado.
    Here are your raves and reviews:
    http://bigagnes.com/raves.php

It's kind of a heavy tent that you are looking into.
    http://bigagnes.com/str_tents.php?bid=20
    I suppose it would depend on what you are using it for.
    7lbs, 7oz is hard for me to comprehend for a mountain climb or a sheep hunt.

What's good, though, is that is in fact is a 4 season tent.
    I don't think that there will be very many reviews on this quite yet because it's new on the market.

Hm... I'd like to get your feed back on this, AKCharlie.
    Are you planning on doing Foraker or Denali? Or are you planning on doing a spring bear hunt or a late season moose hunt?

Default SL1

I've used the Seedhouse SL1 on two sheephunts. It weighs less than 3 lbs and is a great tent. It has enough room for one person and gear, or two people if you are related to them, or want to be.

Thanks COtoAk,

But I'm liking the looks off the Nallo GT3 more. Hilleberg is much more known and proven in the 4 season/mountaineering department. Plus its a 1.5#s lighter and $50 bucks cheaper, with a much larger vestibule. All things considered seems like a better deal. As much as you'd like me to support a colorado business I'm gonna have to give the edge to the hilleberg

http://www.moontrail.com/tents/hilleberg_nallo3gt.php

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Thanks COtoAk,

But I'm liking the looks off the Nallo GT3 more. Hilleberg is much more known and proven in the 4 season/mountaineering department. Plus its a 1.5#s lighter and $50 bucks cheaper, with a much larger vestibule. All things considered seems like a better deal. As much as you'd like me to support a colorado business I'm gonna have to give the edge to the hilleberg

http://www.moontrail.com/tents/hilleberg_nallo3gt.php

No no... I wasn't stating that I'd be disappointed if you went with another brand that you thought that was better quality. It just depends on the durability of a product that counts most.
    It seems as if Hilleberg is starting to be the way to go, but old habits don't die quick and local to me has always been known as: Colorado.
    Besides, this is Alaska, right? Terrain is different. Mountaineering is different. Hunting is harder and more exotic. Why not have a tougher and more durable tent?
    I still support Big Agnes, regardless. It was always good for me. It's still good for me.
    This past year, our choice was the TadPole for our sheep hunt, but AKCharlie is looking for a 4 season tent.
    So... I guess we will just see what his needs are and then go from there.
    In the meantime, thanks for sharing your opinion.

Oh... and this is a Big Agnes thread.

Quote Originally Posted by COtoAK View Post
    Oh... and this is a Big Agnes thread.
    HAHA...sorry. My bad. I'll give myself a negative rep point for that

Well, I don't need to buy a BA tent but I do have a BA insulated air core mummy pad and think I am going to buy this 2 lb down 20 degree bag since I already have the pad to slip in it. It should stay nice and dry in my new Hilleberg tent

http://www.bigagnes.com/str_bags.php?bid=21

HAHA...sorry. My bad. I'll give myself a negative rep point for that
    Don't do that. I'll have to give you back a rep point!!

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Well, I don't need to buy a BA tent but I do have a BA insulated air core mummy pad and think I am going to buy this 2 lb down 20 degree bag since I already have the pad to slip in it. It should stay nice and dry in my new Hilleberg tent

http://www.bigagnes.com/str_bags.php?bid=21
    Snyd,
    Why is your rep thing disabled?

one questin I have is; is it worth the few extra pounds for a free-standing tent?

Quote Originally Posted by akcharlie4 View Post
    one questin I have is; is it worth the few extra pounds for a free-standing tent?
    Alaska_Lanche?

I think it comes down to personal preference.

Freestanding tents are nice when on hard/rocky ground where staking is more difficult, thus making much easier to setup in these situations.

However, in a 4 season/Mountaineering tent, I honestly don't see the advantage of a freestanding tent. That is because if you are using a 4 season/mountaineering tent chances are you got it because you are expected less than idea conditions (very windy, snow, rain.)

Therefore whether you have a freestanding tent or not you will need to set it up in a place that will be conducive to staking regardless of the style of tent so it won't get blown off the mountain. So in my opinion, why not shave some #s when you can.

There are a bunch of people on here with much more experience that I hope will chime in, but since I got called out I best respond or else....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast