Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Catfish bait for halibut?

Default Catfish bait for halibut?

Okay, so last month I was on business down in Indianapolis, and while there had visited a local sporting goods store (Dick's Sporting Goods). They had a wide array of catfish baits, which sort of got me thinking. Catfish baits is made to be stinky as heck and send out a scent trail, so it would seem like a pretty good halibut bait. I was thinking about using it in combination with the usual herring and squid. Anybody think this is a good idea, or have I absolutely lost it? Have any of you or anyone you know tried this?

don't know anyone that has tried it. I'm sure it would work, especially with herring or squid. I don't know how well that stuff would stay on the hook with a ripping current but personally, I just stick with the herring or squid and find a spot that has fish on it. Finding fish is the main battle, everthing else is just details.

Don't see why it wouldn't work. Last summer in Valdez fishing for silvers, we briefly ran out of bait, and had some of those herring scented power bait "minnows." Much to my shock they worked almost as well as actual herring. I would normally just stick to troll herring, though, because it's considerably cheaper and they seemed to work a little better then the fake presentation. I have a feeling halibut aren't nearly as choosy as silvers, though.

The stuff can be mashed together and bonds to the hook pretty well. I have a couple of decent holes out of PWS that produce nice fish for me, so I'll have to do a few experiments once the warmer weather returns (throw some on the wifes line only and see if her hit frequency increases versus my regular baits). I figure it should be interesting, but just wanted to throw it out here to see what you all thought.

I'll tell you a trick ,Being from the South and catfishing was a past time , And we use liver a lot and stink bait. Get a pair of pantyhose from the wife and cut in squares put your bait in there twist it and put it on the hook will stay there forever , I also did this when I was shark fishing works great .
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Last summer In purchased some cat fish chum, some Berkely Power Chum which comes in a 5 pound container and is in its own chum bag, and some different Berkley power baits and jigs. I added herring oil to the mix and sent it down to the bottom and it just did not produce any better than fishing without chum. The next thing I tried is I put all this junk into a bender and added 3 whole herring to the mix. I ended up with a red colored goo that was to fluid to put in a chum bag. I had this turkey baster and I used it to inject the goo into some whole herring. It seemed to work as the only poles that where catching any thing where the ones with the goo filled herring. My baster broke but I will give it a try again this summer.

Default silvers

Silvers will hit anything if they are feeding in salt. We caught them on non-scented hootchies just as fast as any kind of herring bait......

I think that it would be cheaper just to use herring for the butts....I don't think that the halibut are selective enough to do better on catfish bait vs what they normally eat - they are pretty voracious feeders.

what about using the cat fish bait for burbot?

It might work good as a change up bait. I notice that sometimes halibut will quit biting on the herring, and if you drop some other type of bait, or jig, then they will hit it right away. It would be worth a try just to see how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by captaindd View Post
    Last summer In purchased some cat fish chum, some Berkely Power Chum which comes in a 5 pound container and is in its own chum bag, and some different Berkley power baits and jigs. I added herring oil to the mix and sent it down to the bottom and it just did not produce any better than fishing without chum. The next thing I tried is I put all this junk into a bender and added 3 whole herring to the mix. I ended up with a red colored goo that was to fluid to put in a chum bag. I had this turkey baster and I used it to inject the goo into some whole herring. It seemed to work as the only poles that where catching any thing where the ones with the goo filled herring. My baster broke but I will give it a try again this summer.
    That homemade chum injector sounds like a pretty good idea, but I think the wife would kick my arse if she came home to find me chopping up whole herring in her blender. Ha! Maybe I'll try it just to see her reaction...

Quote Originally Posted by big_dog60 View Post
    what about using the cat fish bait for burbot?
    One time when I was up at Tangle Lakes the guy at the lodge was explaining how to catch burbot, he essentially described catfishing techniques so I'm sure it'd work great...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    One time when I was up at Tangle Lakes the guy at the lodge was explaining how to catch burbot, he essentially described catfishing techniques so I'm sure it'd work great...

This one time, at band camp....

Do your parents know you're on the computer again? Home work all done?

Default Cat food

Take a can of cat food, some kind of fishy style, poke holes in the can and tie it 3 feet above your anchor chain. Simple, effective, can be stored on your boat without stinking anything up, and makes me smile. Use something STRONG to tie the can to your anchor line.

I've heard that the fresher the herring the better and that halibut don't like skanky bait. So would skanky catfish bait work? Anyone else heard about it being best to use fresh herring? Or maybe that's just because fresh herring has more oil (more stink)?

Default Actually

Actually the best herring I used was pickled. I use to catch a five gallon bucket and then place about 10-12 in a gallon bag. Add about 1 cup of water and a 1/4 cup of pickling salt, shake, and put in the freezer. The pickling salt toughened the herring and gave it more scent. Works great and stays firmer on the hook.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Chumming

Someone suggested cat food in the can? I HAVE to try that one.

Since that's only an experiment, do any of you have a good chum bag material suggestion? I'm sure some materials leech the chum better than others and some will last better than others. I looked for this in other threads, but I couldn't find any info for the bags.

MM

I took a 4" diameter piece of PVC (maybe it was ABS) pipe, drilled holes in it, glued a cap on one, put a screw cap with an eye bolt on the other end to use for chum. Never have used it as I started fishing in PWS instead out of Seward and I don't anchor in PWS when I fish. Cheap enough and should last a long time.

The PVC pipe type hang up real easy in the rocks. When you buy apples or oranges get the ones that come in the plastic web type bags. You get vitamin C plus a chum bag.

if you have any kind of current, the Berkley stuff will work. Follow the advice above for keeping it on the hook.

Oh, and this stuff really stinks and will stay on your hands forever.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

The stinkier the better. I used some rotten skeins, rock salted herring and grape jello for chum and had Halibut biting the chum bag. Started putting that nasty mix in spawn bag netting and caught a lot of fish. Cat food should work good too, I'm gonna try that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast