Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Predator Rifle

Default Predator Rifle

Im new to predator hunting and have been mainly using my 12ga,but my calling isnt that great so I cant seem to bring em in close enough for scatter gun.So im looking for a good bolt action predator rifle. Ive been most interested in savages model 10 predator hunter in 243win,But would like some advice or imput to see what you guys are using.thanks

my son uses a stevens 22-250, and I carry the 12 ga. Stevens is now made by savage I believe. It was around 270$ at sportsmans. I didn't want to get all that expensive with a calling gun since it's usually getting beat through the brush, snow,and machines.

Default rifle

I have two of them. I have a DPMS with a 24'' fluted bull barrell in a 204 and a stevens model 200 in a 22-250. TO the stevens I put an after market trigger "basics" and a BSA 4x16 power scope on it. I painted the stock white on the stevens and to be honest I looks bad ***** I think. It gets looks at the range and people think it is was an expensive rifle. It shots well at inch or so with the new trigger. When I go out calling I will pick the stevens 90 percent of the time. I got 299 in the rifle about 90 in the scope and 150 or so in the trigger. It is a great and light rifle to carry. The DPMS is a great rifle and shots great, but it is heavy. It weights 11 lbs.

I have friends that have the big heavy bull barrel rifles. I cant stand them. I hike my rifles more than I shoot them and cant see a good reason to pay more money to make it more uncomfortable to sling over my back. I use a 17 HMR Savage bolt action and there are no wolves where I hunt right now I will be building an AR in the future for them. It cost me $219 and I got a $20 gift certificate with the purchase.

Default pred. shooters

My main squeeze is an H&R ultra varmint in .22-250 with a 3-9X40 Leopold. Camo paint. It has the heavy fluted barrel and is about 8 pounds. Only got one shot so you take you're time and squeeze it off. My other rifle is the Remington R-15 in .223. I'm still weighting for my scope base for this rifle. Good luck picking you're rifle.

Shoe

H&R Handi in 22 Hornet.Had he barrel cut to 16 1/2" and put a AR style adjustable stock and forearm on it with a 3x9 scope.Its what works for me.

I have a CZ .204 Ruger wich is a absolute tack driver and dosent mess up there hide to bad. i also just bought a DPMS AR-15 .223 . havent got to use it yet but im likeing the feel. I know a .243 would tear up a fox/Lynx pretty bad.
    LOVE MY LITTLE SKULL CLEANERS

Default Rifle for fur

I've been using a custom RRA AR-15 (223) I built with 55gr FMJ's and it's been tearing up fur. But my shots have all been within 100 yards too. In Rick Kinmon's book, he says that the 6PPC is his favorite "fur friendly" round that will dispatch wolf at long range and fox up close without too much fur damage. His next choice was the 243. I'm seriously looking at 6PPC's (having one built) and getting into reloading for it too. Anybody have some good fur friendly recommendations that I might be missing? I have several 22mags, which will do the trick, but it would be good to have a rifle that'll do it all and save fur.

Quote Originally Posted by swapdonkey View Post
    I painted the stock white on the stevens ...
    Lets see it!!

I just purchased a new Stevens Model 200 in .223, my plan is to get it in the next day or so, and then pick up a scope for it and get out and call for some coyotes during my Christmas break. I can't wait to get it I know it's in the mail just waiting for the FFL to give me a call. Also to snowcamoman you said your .223 has been tearing up fur, I was wondering what types of fur it's been tearing up just trying to gather some info.

Default 223 fur damage

catchfish,
    The last two Coyotes I shot with 55gr FMJ's had really bad holes in them. Now, granted they were not side shots or direct straight on shots, so the bullets exited on angles through the ribs, thus tearing up the hide. I'm switching to some heavier, slower 62gr FMJ's to see if it helps. If anybody knows of a source for some 70gr FMJ's please let me know. I'm going to stick with the 22mag for areas where my shots are within 100 yards, shotgun for thick stuff and the AR for longer shots.

Default Easy to carry

I have a couple of .223's but most of the time the rifle that I grab is a Winchester 9422M (.22 WMR). Carries the best for me and that means more time afield. Mostly use 40gr bullets but some of the lighter 33/34gr offerings are very nice as well.
    I will sometimes also be found with a 12ga it just depends on when and where I go. 80% of the time though it is that little 22mag.

Thumbs up Stevens

I use the same gun as arrowslinger described. It's one if the most flat shooting guns that i've ever shot, and I absolutely love it. I zeroed it in at around 350 yards, and i've been amazed with it so far.

Just my 2 cents.

Smile Savage Model 10 Predator

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Sansone View Post
    Im new to predator hunting and have been mainly using my 12ga,but my calling isnt that great so I cant seem to bring em in close enough for scatter gun.So im looking for a good bolt action predator rifle. Ive been most interested in savages model 10 predator hunter in 243win,But would like some advice or imput to see what you guys are using.thanks
    I bought one of these a couple of months ago and I am pretty happy with it. All in all it is a pretty good rifle. It is extremely accurate. I am not crazy about the tang safety, as mine is difficult to operate with thick gloves on. The rifle is also a bit barrel heavy in my opinion for what I use it for, although I am sure that it contributes to it's great accuracy. I have hauled around a much lighter Remington 700 BDL in .22-250 for predator hunting for a long time and it is easier to pack around. Nonetheless, I would recommend the Savage to anyone. They did a good job with this one.

Default good fur caliber

Has anyone used or know anyone who has a .204 ruger. Ive been reading up on it and seems like a pretty good choice.

Default 204

Hello,

My buddy has a 204 and it is very accurate, his only gripe is limited ammo choices and twice local stores where sold out of his particular choice..I shoot 22-250 when going after predators and it is dead on..any thoughts as to the scope you plan on putting on your predator gun??

I just purchased a TC Encore with the 28"fluted barrel chambered in 243. I have been doing some of my own research and I think the 243 is probably your best bet. All the other mentioned rounds are good but the 243 offers you a larger range in bullet weights which is nice if you decide you want to say use it deer hunting. If you are strictly looking for a bolt action I would suggest the A or X Bolt by Browning. They will be a little more than what you were looking at but I think you will get a better gun. My father has an A-Bolt chambered with 22-250 and I have shot coyote all the way out to 320yards. Plus they are nice and lightweight so carrying it around is easy. Have fun buying that new firestick and we want pics when you get it.

Quote Originally Posted by polarisblake View Post
    Have fun buying that new firestick and we want pics when you get it.
    Hey, how bout you get your wife to take a pic of you with your new TC.

After christmas I will Lanche!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Hey, how bout you get your wife to take a pic of you with your new TC.
    With her two days from calving......not so wise

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast