Thread: canning smoked salmon

Default canning smoked salmon

I've smoked alot of fish in the past but I want to cann some smoked strips and I know you only lightly smoke the fish because the canning process enhances the smoke flavor but what i'm wondering about is if i still brine the fish the same amount of time as i do when i'm not going to cann them?I use a very easy rub of salt,brown sugar and garlic most of the time.

I brine them the same but often time do not smoke them as long, also often times mix 1/2 smoked and 1/2 not smoked then can...still comes out good.

I brine normally and smoke normally except with very little heat. Usually I smoke for a couple of hours and cook it off in the smoker for several hours. If I'm planning to can I don't cook it at all. No salt in the jars. I do prefer a few jalapeno slices. Maybe more than a few. Canned fish is a staple in my house, smoked and plain.

We use 1/2 the salt called for in the brine if we are going to can. Also we don't smoke the entire time, stop when the strips are still a little soft as the canning process cooks them throughly. We put in 1 tablespoon of olive oil per 1/2 pint, plus 3-4 slices of jalapenos in the bottom for flavor. Lots of compliments.