Thread: What sled for a 9 year old?

Default What sled for a 9 year old?

Youngest daughter is ready for a sled. We have a Polaris 120 which is proving a perfect starter for her but need a larger sled to bump the older daughter off it. Mainly putt-putt around the lakes & groomed trails around Willow. Looking for advice on a good make/model that:

A. Won't go too fast/too heavy for her abilities
    B. She won't outgrow right away
    C. I won't be repairing after every weekend (like the 120)
    D. Reverse would be nice if she could handle it so I won't have to pull her out every 10 minutes (only every 15 minutes)
    E. Won't have to sell the youngest to pay for!

Had a machine for a couple years now but haven't been riding near enough to justify it. Haven't paid much attention to what else is out there. All our other sleds are Po-Po's so if came down to apples2apples I'd like to stay with a single make.

Currently have - '05 Touring DLX/ 95 Indy Classic / XC120

Yamaha Brovo's are or were good machines back in the day, but they don't have reverse. Light enough and work horse's if you need to borrow it from her

just posted on Craigslist is a polaris startrak 250 single located in Kenai for I believe 700.00. looks pretty clean in the pics and would think would be perfect for the little one. BTW his phone # is 394-2136....good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by cwoods View Post
    just posted on Craigslist is a polaris startrak 250 single located in Kenai for I believe 700.00. looks pretty clean in the pics and would think would be perfect for the little one. BTW his phone # is 394-2136....good luck!
    Yeah, I saw the startrak on there yesterday. Looks like it would make an Argo seem like a cushy ride! Seriously, not sure how long that unit would hold her as I hope to keep her on it a-ways into her teens. Thought I saw a ~$1200 340 something or other with reverse, ~3K miles earlier but it's gone already. Guess I'm going to have to be quick, but I'm not sure what is going to be too far above her. Anyone played with throttle limiting?

Seems the 250-300 engines are about right? Suppose it depends on the rest of the machine. Maybe a 350 wouldn't be that bad on low geared setup.

OK so Bravo. Polaris ever make anything smallish & solid that isn't a fossil?

Thanks for the help!

When my bro and I were that age my dad got us a Polaris 340 sprint. Ran the socks off that thing. All kinds of fun and not crazy fast and pretty stable. Take a look at any of the 340 class sleds, like an polaris indy lite. She won't grow out of a 340 too fast and it isn't too fast for her if she already has a handle on the 120.

The old indy light and star lite is what I am thinking about for my kids..

I spoted this SkiDoo on C/L and it migh might do the trick, certainly worth a call:
    http://anchorage.craigslist.org/rvs/954854767.html

Bought my 8 year old son a 300 Skidoo Freestyle. It is a breeze for him on the trails, he is learning to handle it in the powder, and the machine is big enough to get us both out of an area if my machine breaks down. The fan cooled 300 seems to have the right amount of power for a youngster. The 550 Freestyle is a bit much for an 8 year old, but I might get him one in a few years and give the 300 to his little sister. I looked at Polaris Indy Lites and some smaller Arctic cats, but the Freestyle seemed to fit him better and was not as powerful.

StocknStuck, my buddy has an 03 edge 340 he's looking to shake. He put fox shocks all around on it and the sled has WAY low miles. BTW, how much are you looking to spend? Under 2500 I'm assuming....?

My first machine was an old Yamaha Phazer air cooled machine. It was pretty light and fast and it would take a while to outgrow one.

Your in that tweener age that is really tough to find sleds for. You buy a 340 for them and half the people are going to say it's too big...but what else are you going to do?

My 9 y.o. girl has an Indy Light, my 13 y.o. girl has an Indy Light GT. They both do really well on them and they will last a long time. Keep an eye on Craigslist. I picked up the Light for $500 and the GT for $1100.

Other good machines to consider are older Tundras and Bravos.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default Tundra II LT

My 65# 9 year old son drives a 96 Tundra II. It is a great ride because it goes just about every where and fits him like a glove. He is able to push it up to about 50 mph on the rivers and lakes and yet he can follow me on my Summit in just about any powder condition. The old Tundras really float well and have a nice wrap around bumper so you can practically get them unstuck with one hand.. The new Tundra 300 is adult size and with electric start and reverse weighs about 410# dry. The old Tundra II is about 377# without reverse or electric start. We had a Yamaha Bravo LT and sold it after riding the ski-doo. The Tundra was better in the powder and has much better suspension. The ski-doo freestyle 300's are a great rides for kids if you want a short track but unfortunately, ski-doo does not make either the Tundra II or the Freestyle 300 any more. Big mistake in my opinion. Look for in order: 1. Ski-doo Tundra II LT 2. Freestyle 300 then, 3. Yamaha Bravo LT. Hope this helps

Default Tundra II LT Pic

Here is a picture of the 9 year old and his Tundra.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I guess AKDoug is right, I'll look for a 300+ and have something she can grow with. Just have to take is slow and easy to start with. Maybe confine her to the lake for awhile until I'm comfortable that - she's comfortable with the beast.
    So what was the difference between the Lite and the Lite GT? Best I can tell it was a longer track with tow & cargo rack? So what affect does a longer track have for her other than powder?

Appreciate all the helpful knowledge being shared by everyone. Thanks to all!

It's looking like all advise is good advice, Personally I put my boy on an old Yamahammer enticer 340....... a nice small light sled, I believe older is better for the kids, everything is simple. there's not much on this thing that you can't fix with some bailing twine and a pair of vicegrips......also, if he bangs it up I don't feel bad about duct tapping it up.I even gave it a snow camo paint job to add the cool factor. $350 invested and hopfully many years of beating to come.

Default Dude-

Quote Originally Posted by badgerfly View Post
    It's looking like all advise is good advice, Personally I put my boy on an old Yamahammer enticer 340....... a nice small light sled, I believe older is better for the kids, everything is simple. there's not much on this thing that you can't fix with some bailing twine and a pair of vicegrips......also, if he bangs it up I don't feel bad about duct tapping it up.I even gave it a snow camo paint job to add the cool factor. $350 invested and hopfully many years of beating to come.
    That is my kind of thinking too. I'm starting out my youngest and last boy on an older sled. The next sled he gets, he will work and pay for. That creates ownership. I'm not a big proponent of buying expensive machines for kids (which is a form of vicarious ownership) as they often trash them without a lot of thought, and then expect another one.

Smile jag 440

on craigslist last time i was on i saw a pretty nice jag 440 with reverse and electric start for $600 and if memory serves it was a 1991. somewhat newer
    hope it helps as i'm in the same de-lima except for a 14 year old and need to buy two machines.

Default Good sled

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    StocknStuck, my buddy has an 03 edge 340 he's looking to shake. He put fox shocks all around on it and the sled has WAY low miles. BTW, how much are you looking to spend? Under 2500 I'm assuming....?
    I personally rode one of these sleds with my wife when we visited her family in Nome. I'm about 260, was probably 250 then, my wife rode that and I was on another (550 Trail RMK), I did however ride the 340, bit small for me but it did great with my big butt on it. Shoot, remember back in the day, the 440s then were the 800s of today, in comparison. Polaris 340 would be perfect IMO.

My boy and the kids of all our freinds all rode indy lites. Most rode the gt's and the one that were not gt's all eventually became long tracks. The long track indy lites get around so amazingly well in the powder. Especially with a light weight rider on then. They are very durable sleds and it can be hard to find a used one because they keep getting handed down within the family til you run out of kids to pass it to. Then it usaually ends up going to a buddies family and the hand me down starts all over again. Good luck finding a decent used one and enjoy it. You kids sure will.