Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Accurate .22LR semiauto... which?

Default Accurate .22LR semiauto... which?

I searched the forum and didn't see an answer. Anyone know if any of the semiauto .22LR pistols is known for accuracy? Not worried about size too much, so if a longer barrel helps then great. Thanks.

Brian

Mark

Remington Nylon 66:

.....In 1959, champion Tom Frye of Remington Arms Company broke Ad Topperwein's aerial shooting record for shooting 2 1/4 inch cubes of wood thrown in the air. Over a period of 13 9 hour long days, using several Remington Nylon 66 semi-automatic .22 Long Rifle rifles, he hit 100,004 of the 100,010 blocks thrown in the air.....

#17 in Field & Streams "Best Guns Ever Made".

Chief AJ almost matched that feat with a Ruger 10/22:

.....In 1987, at the age of 50, John "Chief AJ" Huffer shot 40,060 consecutive 2 1/2 inch square pine blocks over a period of 8 days without a single miss, shooting blocks he himself tossed into the air, for 14 hours a day. Huffer accomplished this using 18 .22 Long Rifle Ruger 10/22 rifles, which he cycled through as assistants loaded them for him.....

Default Accurate 22 pistol

Quote Originally Posted by tananaBrian View Post
    I searched the forum and didn't see an answer. Anyone know if any of the semiauto .22LR pistols is known for accuracy? Not worried about size too much, so if a longer barrel helps then great. Thanks.

Brian
    Brian, have shot my brother in laws Ruger slab side, KMKIII678gc(Ruger #) which he has a 2x scope on. It is as accurate as we are and he squirrel hunts with it and he is GOOD and we have squirrel often. This Ruger comes with a scope mount. This is my opinion. Mark

i shoot a browning buckmark micro (4"barrel) that shoots most everything well........and remington.22's really well! the adjustable sights are click positive, accurate, and easy to see. the grip is similar to a .45colt auto.

so far this handgun has digested several bricks of .22's without a jam of any kind. this is a quality handgun, and can be recommended without reservation.

** it carries nicely in a military shoulder holster...out of the way, but handy.

happy trails.
    jh

Buckmark, smith 41 or ruger Mklll hunter all are accurate. you can pretty much hit anything you want with a plane jane Mkll

Ruger Mark 1, 2, or 3 are great! The sights are fixed to the barrel, not the slide. Tack drivers! I had a target Mark 2 that I wish I had never sold, I want another now.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by markopolo50 View Post
    Brian, have shot my brother in laws Ruger slab side, KMKIII678gc(Ruger #) which he has a 2x scope on. It is as accurate as we are and he squirrel hunts with it and he is GOOD and we have squirrel often. This Ruger comes with a scope mount. This is my opinion. Mark

I have this very same setup. It is as accurate as one can get.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by kenairmk View Post
    Originally Posted by markopolo50
    Brian, have shot my brother in laws Ruger slab side, KMKIII678gc(Ruger #) which he has a 2x scope on. It is as accurate as we are and he squirrel hunts with it and he is GOOD and we have squirrel often......
    I have this very same setup. It is as accurate as one can get.
    Mine is similar.

I carry mine while on the snowmobile hunting ptarmigan.

A few years ago I bought a box of every brand of 22 ammo in Anchortown and tried them all at the range in all 4 of my various 22 firearms. By far the brand that shot the best in all of them was the Remington 22 Viper Hyper Velocity.

This scoped handgun shot as well or better than my two unscoped 22 rifles (a Remington Nylon 66 and a Browning BL-22).

I'm scoping and sprucing up the Browning just for kicks and grins..............
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have four 22 auto pistols, a early walthers 22 olympic match,two ruger mk1 targets and a buckmark. The walther is in a league of its own, the ruger I have scoped makes one ragged hole at 50 ft, the other shoots better than my eyes will allow and the buckmark although more than good enough for hunting is not target grade. Although I don,t have them, the Hi Standard Trophy, Citation and a couple other of there target models are very accurate as is the S&W 41. Walther and Hammerli target pistols are more accurate than any rifle other than a good target rifle. The Rugers are probably the most accurate for the money. Yes, there are some of the cheaper 22 autos that shoot well,but most don"t. Any way, thats my $.02

About 12 years ago I shot Bullseye with a Ruger MKII, read up about target .22s and what made them accurate. Back then(don't know if opinions have changed), it was said that .22 accuracy depended on how the chamber was cut-lots of variations in chambers. So I bought every kind of .22 ammo and tried them all from a rest. My Ruger, and all my Rugers since, shot Federal Ultra Match the best. In 1996 it was $11 for a box of 50. Luckily for me the next best were the Federal Lightning which went for $11 for 500. Saved the Ultra Match for slowfire and used the Lightning for everything else. I've still got a couple thousand rounds of it!

Quote Originally Posted by tananaBrian View Post

Brian
    S&W model 41 5 1/2" heavy barrel. I once shot ten shots into a 1.5" group at 50 yards. My score was 100-9X. Scored at the sixth Army team matches at Fort Riley KS, about 1982. (All Guard squad.) Shot one handed, standard bullseye course of fire. Ammo was Eley 10X standard velocity pistol. For twenty years that pistol was well know for it's accuracy. Actually the pistol still might be.

EDIT:
    I edited this to correct my score of which I was quite proud. The group in question was my first clean target with a 22 at the long line and well remembered. The ten shots made a great group slightly to the right of center with one falling at the 3 o'clock ten. All together were "officially" measured at 1.5". I challenged two of them as my scorer called them out of the x-ring and they were on the line. Yes I had many more cleaned targets but none this tight.
    Last edited by Murphy; 12-12-2008 at 16:28.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Not to get far off topic, but ammo wise I like the CCI mini mags. They are about as expensive as I'm willing to go on .22 ammo. My 2nd choice is Federal Lightning.

Ruger in any model

Default 22 Pistol

There are a lot of 22 pistols available; accurate current production models are expensive.
    A NICE S&W 41 can go for $700-$1000, Hammereli,Walter,Merkel, and many competetion grade guns are very expensive.
    User friendly 22 pistols which are affordable and semi-accurate/field grade are probably going to have to be compared to the Ruger line.
    I currently carry a Ruger 22/45 . It's good but not the most accurate pistol available it does have the same grip angle as my 1911 Colt. No need to practice a new grip angle, and at practical ranges it hits what it's pointed at.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Mark

Anybody out there want to comment on the S&W 617 in the 6" barrel?

I'm thinking about getting one.

Default Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Anybody out there want to comment on the S&W 617 in the 6" barrel?

I'm thinking about getting one.
    No data, and I haven't fired one.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default 22LR handguns

I have a Ruger .22 Bull Barrel Mk.1 - bought it new 28 years ago. Great pistol, but it weighs more than my .44 mag.

I'm either going to install one of Tactical Solutions lightweight barrel/upper assemblies, or leave well enough alone, and buy an S&W Airweight .22LR - M317 Kit Gun. My Mk.1 Ruger is accurate and very reliable. I simply don't take it into the woods much. I believe the Kit Gun would get more use.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I'm either going to install one of Tactical Solutions lightweight barrel/upper assemblies, or leave well enough alone, and buy an S&W Airweight .22LR - M317 Kit Gun. My Mk.1 Ruger is accurate and very reliable. I simply don't take it into the woods much. I believe the Kit Gun would get more use.
    If you get a Airweight S&W I hope you have better luck than I did! Saved up, bought one and took it to the range. This was the 4" model with adjustable sights. Tried 8 different brands of .22lr and the best group I got was 4" at 25 yds.....FROM A REST! Sold it.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    If you get a Airweight S&W I hope you have better luck than I did! Saved up, bought one and took it to the range. This was the 4" model with adjustable sights. Tried 8 different brands of .22lr and the best group I got was 4" at 25 yds.....FROM A REST! Sold it.
    I got a three inch with adjustable sights. Finally settled on Remington Vipers. It groups at about 2" at 25 yards.

I have a 4" model 18 and 4" model 48 (22 mag) and both will group a cylinder full into 1" at 25 (from a good sand bag). The mag is with 50 grain Federal 22 mag ammo, the other is with various standard velocity and target ammo of forty or 39 grains none of the lighter high velocity ammo shoots worth a crap in the M18. I'm sure that is the limit of my ability with iron sights so I'll say the guns are good. For a field carry gun I prefer a revolver or maybe a Ruger auto 22. I've had an old 4" in one of those since the '70's and it cycles very reliable but gives up some to the revolvers or the M41 in accuracy.

Of course the old single action 5 1/2" Rugers are great field guns and are very accurate, except for long rifles in the magnum.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast