Thread: How many of you filled the draw tags?

Default How many of you filled the draw tags?

How many of you of the draw hunters on here got what you put in for, and how many did'nt hunt for the permit that you drew?

Just last year, or over the course of our hunting lifetime? Last year I drew an archery sheep tag for a short October season. I went hunting, but didn't connect. That permit has something like a 5% average success rate, so I looked at it more as an opportunity to get out, not an opportunity to fill the freezer.

In recent years I haven't drawn much else, but I have filled a number of drawing permits and have helped many friends fill theirs. For all the drawing permit hunts I've been a part of, I would say our success rate is somewhere around 75%.

Well, I've been hunting as a resident for three years now and have drawn tags twice (lucky I know ). I drew a cow moose tag last year and a bison tag this year. Last year i got my cow. This year I have been out twice for bison and have not connected yet.

My wife drew the archery tag in FMA. We got within 40 yards once but she just wans't comfortable with the shot. This is her first year bow hunting and I was proud of her judgment. We went out as much as we could just never could close the deal. Next year!!

Brian, I guess both numbers would be good, this years ,and past years, I'm just trying to get some numbers together. Congrats on the 75%. E.S.

I drew 1 sheep tag and hunted unsuccessfully. My wife drew a delta cow tag and there are so many moose up there we just drove the truck around until we spotted 10, picked the one she wanted and the wife blasted it. Easiest "hunt" I have ever been on moose everywhere! So we went 1 for 2 this year

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    Congrats on the 75%. E.S.
    I'm sure that number isn't representative of all drawing hunts. I intentionally put in for permits that I know I can do for the most part, but there are some exceptions. I did draw a caribou tag in the Talkeetna Mountains two years ago that I figured would be unsuccessful. I gave it a shot via ATV, and F&G is pretty clear that most success comes from fly-in hunters. In my case, they were right. Likewise with the archery sheep tag, I knew it was a low-odds hunt. For other drawing tags, though, I either put in for ones that I know I have a good shot of success or I put in a lot of time and miles. There is one low-odds caribou tag that I've hunted with success more than once, but that is solely due to boot leather. We put on many, many miles to find success, whereas sometimes that's not possible due to schedules, weather, etc.

For what it's worth, I'm planning on winning a goat permit and my wife will be winning a sheep permit in January. I'll let you know how it goes.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

really this was the first year in about 5 that i had put in.. And my Daughter. drew the 20A bou tag.. though we hunted hard we also Dewlt with the flooding in 20A a good portion of the season and missed the one chance we had.. though we had a great time..

in all we applied 5 for moose
    and 5 for bou and got one bou tag..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I've put in for over 40 tags in the past four years. Of those, I've drawn three times and made sure I hunted each permit. I was successful on 2 of the 3 hunts. The successful being a Kenai Mtn. caribou and a Delta cow bison. The unsuccessful being a Talkeetna Mtn. caribou tag this year.

It's amazing to see how many permits are unhunted each year.

Default hunted every one

but was not successful on every one.

I drew one permit hunt for elk but was unable to hunt it due to a trip outside. I did not know about the trip outside before applying, otherwise I would have picked dates that did not conflict with my trip.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Default A Sad Story

OK! Here it is:
    I hunted this Spring down in Unit 9B. We were planning to hunt most of the season, so I put my tags in just in case we got weathered in and did not make it out in time to put in for the Kodiak Brown Bear Tags. No worries, because I am only going to shoot if I see a sure enough Pig of a Big Ol Boar
    I have been putting in for Upper Karluk Lake for over 15 years.
    I fooled around a let a small bear get way to close to me. It was 12 yards when I tried to run it off. I yelled and instead of running away, it jumped at me. 8 yards one shot, dead Bear. I had it all on camera, so I could have called it unavoidable, but I felt like it was my fault for fooling around and letting it get to close. (which it was) So! I tagged the bear. Now I am disqualified.
    Well! The Tags come out. I drew Upper Karluk Lake after 15 years, but I am Dis-Qualified! :-( This is the only tag I ever drew, that I ave not hunted.
    I immediately called F&G, hoping that they could draw another hunter to go in my place, but no dice on that one. I gave it a shot anyway!

Default Dm817

Drew DM817 for 2008, as did two friends. We had a safe and awesome camping trip. I shot one small bull. Pretty warm, wet and windy. Hopefully this year will be another moose permit.