Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turkeys

Talking Turkeys

OK--For all you non believers, here are a couple of picturs I took of Easter Wild Turkeys I took this past Spring in the Eagle River area. I gave pictures to AK Fish and Game who also knows about them. By the way, it is illegal to shoot them where they are. I waited to post these so everone could have a little fun about Turkeys in Alaska. There are Turkeys here, and they are here to stay.

Cool pictures with the chicks, caribou. Thanks for sharing. I guess they're finding some reproductive success.

Since they're non-native, I'd rather they not get established...but if they're here, I'd definitely like to hunt them.

Default Though Alaska is warming...

... introduced species don't fare well. Birds such as pheasants and chukars and such may make it through a winter or two, but Alaska lacks their "native" foods, and they don't thrive without help.

Some time back ADFG planted ruffles on the peninsula. To my knowledge, even though they are a boreal bird, they did not last long in their new habitat.

So turkeys here to stay? I'm skeptical.

Default the bobwhites didn't make it...

saw and heard them down here by our place for one fall-winter-spring, but that was it.
    pheasants, however, are undeniably thriving on the homer bench, and up east hill a ways.
    we see them out our way once in a while...
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default We used to get them up on West Hill too...

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    saw and heard them down here by our place for one fall-winter-spring, but that was it.
    pheasants, however, are undeniably thriving on the homer bench, and up east hill a ways.
    we see them out our way once in a while...
    ...but they was skinny buggers. I ended up with several road kill pheasants.

The kenai pen transplanted grouse are still there just not showing any sign of significant expansion or population growth. The Mat-Su transplant has take hold and is slowly growing/expanding.

2008 status of AK upland game

Ruffed grouse occur naturally throughout forested areas in the Interior where aspen is plentiful, and along major drainages with large willow bars. The ruffed grouse cycle peaked in 2005, and then began declining reaching moderately low levels in 2007. In spring 2008 Interior populations appear to have remained at similar densities as those observed in 2007. This number of breeding adults with average brood production should yield fall populations of moderate levels in the best habitat zones with lower numbers in peripheral areas. Ruffed grouse were translocated to the Matanuska/Susitna Valleys in the late 1980's and onto the northern Kenai Peninsula in the mid-1990's. To date these populations have not fluctuated in any manner resembling a "natural" cycle. The Mat/Su population has slowly increased and now contains pockets of moderate density with continued range expansion. The Kenai Peninsula population has remained at very low density near the release sites northeast of Nikiski and east of Sterling and Cooper Landing.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

the Turkey, phes,quail all them are ground and grain feeders they may make and easy winter or may be even two.. but we just don't have the food sources for them.. i would have to guess those photos of the hen and chicks was a 4-H project that got out of the pen... i can order any of the wild turkeys and have them here. they won't normally go far from home.

I raised Ring necks and chucker for years as well bob white and some of the exotic phes. even Guinea's non of them do very well over the long winters. when they got out they coma back to the pen as that was the only food source for them.. and you never tame a pheasant..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Turkeys

Don't underestimate the survival capabilities of the turkey. They were introduced to parts of Wyoming,Idaho,Washington, and Montana in the 1950s and 60's; The first hunt in Montana was in 1958.
    It's far colder in Montana and Idaho than it is in the Anchorage bowl or on the Kenai Penn. The only detrimental factor for turkeys would be the excessively deep snow which might make browseing harder.
    So, I wouldn't expect the turkeys to dissapear any time soon.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I believe in ER you can shoot them with Flu Flu arrows or a rifled pellet gun just FYI
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

What about baiting and snareing?

Default Hatcher Pass

I've been led to believe there are turkeys roaming the Hatcher Pass areaBut, I've been led astray before
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Wink

Heres the flock that is hanging around my neck of the woods....I think I need to do a cull hunt...heheheh

"I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
    The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

Wow those look like some nice birds.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AK Trout View Post
    Heres the flock that is hanging around my neck of the woods....I think I need to do a cull hunt...heheheh

those are domestic... the tom in the right is a burbon red so appears to be the group in the background... the three toms front an-center are Broad breasted bronze.. as seen at the fair every year.. I did a lot of the pultry judgeing at the Fair.. for several years here in ak.. This group is not wild turkeys...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

They look wild and crazy to me, I might fear them and have to take a few out in defense of life and property Oh and to try out the new deep fryer too
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default Almost

Quote Originally Posted by AK Trout View Post

In the truest sense these are not wild strains of turkeys ; THE more correct term might be FERAL turkeys. They also fall under that heading in the game regs. Christmas Is Coming.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

your are correct in that also.

however the large domestic turkeys such as the whites and Bronzes can not reproduce on a sustained basis for the selective breeding to make them.. the larger breeds are all produced for the commercial market by AI. essentially the tom gets to large in the breast to get the deed done. Not to say that one on a small private farm may not occasionally "connect"

I would still bet that that flock is private property, and roosts in the coop at night.. and being on the road the owner may be liable for a ticket. I would SERIOUSLY consider any ramifications of taking on of them home...

meet on face book here

Looks just like the wild ones in Mi. I've killed lots of them and they look the same.
    Paul

Default Minn, Nebraska, Iowa, Montana etc. etc.

This list goes on, but Turkeys have been re-introduced to many northern states that have very harsh winter enviorments. The have established themselves and they are thriving in almost every state. I would not put much money on the bet that they will not adapt to Alaska.
    Like many I would rather see more effort towards the ruffled grouse and stay away from the turkeys, but if they get a foot hold look out.

Quote Originally Posted by cusackla View Post
    This list goes on, but Turkeys have been re-introduced to many northern states that have very harsh winter enviorments. The have established themselves and they are thriving in almost every state. I would not put much money on the bet that they will not adapt to Alaska.
    Like many I would rather see more effort towards the ruffled grouse and stay away from the turkeys, but if they get a foot hold look out.
    Minn, Nebraska, Iowa, Montana etc. etc.= wheat fields, corn fields, nuts, fruit trees, pine cones, etc.

These food sources are not readily found in Alaska (except maybe Delta area or Point McKenzie).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast