FMJ only.

Legal and blessed by all.

Everybody has done it at least once.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Yeah. Kills 'em like a death ray.

FMJ only.

Legal and blessed by all.

Everybody has done it at least once.
    I guess I could qualify my post a bit, sorry. I have a chance at a .223 and was thinking it would be a decent carrying rifle for protection. It's actually a mini so I think carrying it over my shoulder would be a lot easier than a shotgun, plus I have never shot slugs before and really don't want to take the next 9 months learning and building confidence. I can shoot rifles accurately already, plus this thing has a big clip

I just didn't know if it would have the stopping power. My preference is a .308, but I don't have the money to get one.

Mark

Sorry for the dripping sarcasm. I thought you were being a wise guy.

See this brouhaha to understand why I thought that.

I am sure it can be done. However I would feel uncomfortable using a .223 for bears.

Many people in the Bush carry 'em and use 'em to kill most everything. There's a thread somewhere about the the polar bear killed around Ft Yukon, the guy who killed it used an ar 15-.223. He thought he was hunting a griz who was eating fur-trapped carcasses, so he went hunting a griz with a .223, and got a polar bear.

Different culture, different ethics.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Sorry for the dripping sarcasm. I thought you were being a wise guy.

See this brouhaha to understand why I thought that.
    Ahhh, hahaha, no worries

A .223 seems a bit small to me, but I wasn't sure about it, I'm no expert on calibers by any means, and less of a bear expert than that. It's a screaming deal so I might just have to jump on it, it's a Ruger Mini 14, .223, large clips too.

I've been eyeballing handguns, but just can't afford a .45 or bigger, plus I'm a pretty skinny guy and not sure I'll be able to properly handle a large handgun in that situation. My .357 I have confidence in, but I keep reading that's not enough. So I thought this might be a doable option for me.

Thanks everyone for the replies, I'm going to keep thinking about it, any other replies are certainly welcome too.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by FishnPhil View Post
    ....It's a screaming deal so I might just have to jump on it, it's a Ruger Mini 14, .223, large clips too.....
    I've got a Mini-14. I like it, too, but I don't carry it in the woods for self-defense.

....I've been eyeballing handguns, but just can't afford a .45 or bigger, plus I'm a pretty skinny guy and not sure I'll be able to properly handle a large handgun in that situation. My .357 I have confidence in, but I keep reading that's not enough. So I thought this might be a doable option for me.....
    I carry a 357 mag while in the woods. Lots of folks laugh at that, but it's small, light, and I fitted it with a clip so that it fits in my waistband. No holster needed. It's always there, and that's what I need a sidearm for; to get the bear off of me. It certainly isn't a death ray. That's what my rifle is for (but, as often as not, the rifle isn't always close at hand.........that's why they call sidearms..............sidearms).

It's better than a stick, well maybe not a big stick. You carry what you can afford so use what you can get. The 223 will have basically zero stopping power but enough rounds or a golden bullet will kill a bear. Put alot of little holes in even the biggest **** and it will eventually all leak out. What will probably be found is you dead,lying next to a pile of spent 223's and a dead bear somewhere off in the woods. There is a difference between hunting bears and stopping a bear charge. I've seen people hunt black bears over bait w/ 223's but unless your the luckiest SOB on the planet, a 223 will not even slow an angry bear.

Unless you have done it try to save for something bigger or try to find a 44 mag. I have relatives that hunt browns with the 223 or 243 but they get really close. I carry a rifle in 223 but have been taught by them.
    Try look for a lever 44 mag or 357. Lever 45/70 would be best.

I am no expert in bear protection, but even with non-FMJ rounds, the .223/5.56 is not a "stopper". A .357mag would be just as comforting to me as the .223, albeit with less rounds.

If bear protection is your only concern or motivation for getting the rifle, the recommendations below are pretty sensible, especially 45-70. Add in .45Colt and similarly large bore caliber pistols. I'd hold off buying the .223, carry the .357 which you said you have confidence in (more important than a lot of things in the world of firearms), and save up for something more effective for such a purpose.

How good of a deal is the .223? Is it that you just want a high capacity mini-14 and need the justification? Hehehehehe....been there.

Quote Originally Posted by Badriverman View Post
    Unless you have done it try to save for something bigger or try to find a 44 mag. I have relatives that hunt browns with the 223 or 243 but they get really close. I carry a rifle in 223 but have been taught by them.
    Try look for a lever 44 mag or 357. Lever 45/70 would be best.

A shotgun will carry just as easy and if you can shoot a rifle your can shoot a shotgun with slugs.I would prefer your 357 with 180 gr. ammo than a 223.

I think the best answer to your question was posted by akspecialus, but as I sit here thinking about it, I can't shot anything as fast and accurate as an M16. That is not because I practice with it more, in fact I practice with my personal fire arms much more. It is because of the design and function of the rifle. I have never shot a mini14, so I don't know if it works as well as an M16. Even with that being said, I donít think it is the right tool for want you are asking about. I am just intrigue by the thought, because I would have always laughed at the idea of a 223 as a bear defense round, but again I canít think of a faster more accurate rifle (at that high rate of fire) than an M16. It is not a sniper rifle, but it is dang good at fast accurate close range shots. Donít recommend it though; I think it would be a chance I would not want to take. There are good cheap 12 gauges out there.

It hurts my head to have read this. Yes it can, you can kill a bear with a .223, you can kill a darn bear with a spear or a Bow.
    This is not the state I moved to in the 80's sorry Mods., I can't sleep tonight. ARGH!

Whatever else you would like a .223 for, it is definitely not "a decent carrying rifle for protection" (unless you're talking human attackers). Of course it can kill, but the time between shooting a bear and the bear actually dying may very well be long enough to put the shooter in harm's way, especially at close range.

My very first firearm purchase (when I had very little money and had to stretch it as far as possible) was a Mossberg 500 combo - the full stock and long barrel with shotshells could handle birds; slug loads could handle big game in the brush; and the 18.5" barrel with the pistol grip was my "fishing" gun. It slung over my back without anything sticking out to snag on brush and I could bring it to bear (so to speak) with one hand. (I did have one finger-on-the-trigger encounter with a brown bear at a sockeye stream, but all interested parties parted ways before things got too exciting.)

I haven't priced them recently, but I'd guess that the .223 you're considering would be comparable to the cost of a new combo today. Not that I'm trying to discourage you from the gun you want - just offering a suggestion from my own experience. Hopefully we can someday afford to have all the guns that are "just right" for every assignment!

Quote Originally Posted by JEFFSTER View Post
    It hurts my head to have read this. Yes it can, you can kill a bear with a .223, you can kill a darn bear with a spear or a Bow.
    This is not the state I moved to in the 80's sorry Mods., I can't sleep tonight. ARGH!
    I don't think anyone said a 223 can't kill a bear,It's just a poor choice for protection from bears with poor stopping power. Bears have been killed with 22's but I'm not gonna bet my life on one. If I'm going to lug a piece of iron around in the woods for protection I want to be reasonable sure it will knock ole pig eyes on his butt. Now if I'm out varmit hunting with an AR and get charged by a big brownie I'm gonna unload a full mag ( I know wouldn't have time anyway)while while thinking how much those big front sights are gonna hurt if this doesn't work. Can you hunt browns with a 223, sure, would I, not in a million years. I think it's irresponsible. If you need a reference, ask the soldiers coming back from Iraq. The 223 rounds are not putting people instantly down and out of the fight and those aren't big ole bears.

Quote Originally Posted by akspecialus View Post
    If you need a reference, ask the soldiers coming back from Iraq. The 223 rounds are not putting people instantly down and out of the fight and those aren't big ole bears.
    The problem on the ground in military combat is not the 5.56x45 round in and of itself, but the exclusive use of FMJ bullets with mil-spec barrel twist rates. 5.56/223 can be very effective with different bullets and the appropriate twist rate, but we have to deal with NATO requirements at present.

Still, I agree with you AKSUS, the mini-14 in .223 is not ideal for grizzly bear protection, period- - - there are better options out there. If his primary need/reason is bear protection, he should look for something else, used or new.

But......if he wants a mini-14 .223 for other reasons as well or if the .223 is really all he can get, he shouldn't hesitate to get it, and practice with it until he can empty a full magazine into a flea on the bears butt at 100 yards in under 10 seconds, and then practice some more. He should also carry the .357 as a backup.

Thanks a ton for all the replies, thoughts, and information. You guys rock!

So some more info, I'll try and answer all the questions, please ask again if I miss any....

This gun would have been bought solely for my AK trip and bear protection (I'm sure I would have plunked a lot of targets too). If I plan on big game hunting, I'd opt for a .308 or 30x06 personally, but that's beside the point here.

I decided on not getting the .223, it was $375, which is about 1/2 price of new ones that I saw. I have trouble passing up that good of deals, but I did on this one. I don't want to "think" it will stop a bear, I want to "know" it will, hahaha. Sounds like a .44 Mag is the way to go but their too expensive and learning it/gaining confidence will cost me a lot more too.

"a decent carrying rifle for protection" is what I was hoping this would be. My trusty Ruger .357 revolver will be on my side, no doubt.

Thanks again everyone for the replies, I really appreciate the help.

Quote Originally Posted by FishnPhil View Post
    This gun would have been bought solely for my AK trip and bear protection (I'm sure I would have plunked a lot of targets too). If I plan on big game hunting, I'd opt for a .308 or 30x06 personally, but that's beside the point here.

I decided on not getting the .223, it was $375, which is about 1/2 price of new ones that I saw. I have trouble passing up that good of deals, but I did on this one. I don't want to "think" it will stop a bear, I want to "know" it will, hahaha. Sounds like a .44 Mag is the way to go but their too expensive and learning it/gaining confidence will cost me a lot more too.

"a decent carrying rifle for protection" is what I was hoping this would be. My trusty Ruger .357 revolver will be on my side, no doubt.
    In that case, I think you made the right choice to pass it up, since you didn't have other major plans or uses for it. Have you checked into used prices on other rifles or heftier handguns?

Like I said, if you're confident and accurate with a firearm, that makes all the difference in the world regardless of what you carry.

On of my friends used a mini 14 on a brown bear. The bear was running down the same trail my friend was running up. He fired two shots in front of the bear and all that did was give the bear a target. The bear then was on a full on charge and my friend fired as fast as he could. The closest the bear got my friend said he could have touched the bear with the barrel as it ran by just missing him and taking the last two shots in the side as it ran by.

The bear made it a few more yards out of sight and was barely alive when finished off by a 375 H-H.

The hunters counted 13 hits to the bear plus the two in the side which where lung hits.

-- Crazy part of the story is my friend hunted with a 5 round mag every morning before this. It was only when one of the other hunters in the group who was also hunting with a mini-14 stayed at camp that he offered the 20 round mag to loan to my friend.

The whole incident involved three bears a sow and two cubs. My friend was running up the trail to help his dad who was charged by the sow which he finished off with a 7mag.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast