Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caribou Hunting the Dalton Highway DVD

Default Caribou Hunting the Dalton Highway DVD

Hi folks, some of you may know me and my videos from the pristine ventures web site.....

I have an idea for a new "how to" video, but I wanted to bounce the idea off of all of you before I get the ball rolling.

I would like to produce a series of segments (and ultimately a DVD) on how to hunt Caribou hunt the Dalton Highway. I have hunted it numerous times, and I feel it's a great rescource, and a wonderful experience--but it could have been better if more of us are on the same page.

I have hours of my own video, but I am considering asking other viewers (fellow hunters) for their videos as well. I would complie all the video into something that would be useful to all of us. This isn't meant to be a video of people shooting lots and lots of animals, but some of that kind of footage will be in there. It would be specifically directed at these items:

A.Planning and Preperation

B. Gear
    1. for your vehicle
    2. for your hunt

C. Rules and Regulations (the laws)

D. Haul Road Courtesies
    1. Truckers and driving the road
    2. Other Hunters

E. Road hunting ethics
    1. Avoiding other hunters and stalks in progress
    2. When to shoot and when not to shoot

F. Field Care of animals and transport

G. "Tour" of the road and various locations along the way.

H. Parking and Camping locations (where to, and how to)

I. Other ideas to use the road as access for more remote hunts
    1. Fly in
    2. 5 mile hike

J. Information sources.....(internet, game and fish, etc, etc)

The list goes on and on and on....there are many more things I could go over, and I would be open for suggestions from viewers. I would also need video from viewers- not just of killing things, but of places along the way, interesting events, examples of road conditions, trucks...etc, etc....

What I DON'T want to get into is:

A. Specific places to go kill your Bou (it wouldn't matter too much anyway due to them being wandering nomads)
    B. The dreaded truck incident

My question is this: Do you feel it would attract more attention to an already stressed rescource, or would it alleviate stress on this rescource by instructing sportsmen on the do's and dont's of hunting it?

So, fire away,--- what are your thoughts?

Dan
    715-790-6574
    or
    huntingmandan@hotmail.com

Default Sounds good

I like the concept and the way you have it broke out alot. To many video's and TV show are all about the kill, these days.

Terry

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Dan i think it is an excellent Idea. to build a planning to hunt DVD. There is already a lo of interest in this area and I think that if people had the information combined with "something to see how" they would be better prpaired... I used to run Grader up there and have seen the bou rush and the stupid things people do to be first in line....

as for your question would it put more pressure on the resource... I think the pressure is there. and will continue at it's own rate. i do not think a "how to " video would necessarily add to it.. For every person that says HEY I CAN DO THAT NOW! will be one that says..... never mind..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Yeah....cuz we need more how to videos on hunting Alaska?

Not to be negative Dan, but having hunted the Haul Road for a number of years i have seen the fun factor go down dramatically with so many more people coming north.

If you go ahead with the DVD you should put in a segment about hunter ethics. Such as if there is already a truck pulled over you don't park right next to the truck and jump out. That is the main reason that Haul Road hunting is more aggravating than fun. A lot of hunters just don't follow the old code.

Also a segment about shot selection. I have seen many caribou with arrows sticking out all over the place. You stop and talk to a hunter and he says he took a 70 or 80 yard shot on a big caribou. Not good in what is usually a windy arctic environment. My theory is that hunters, especially rookies get frustrated with not being able to close the distance while bow hunting and start taking shots that are extremely poor. I know I did my first year, luckily I didn't hit the caribou at all and felt bad for such poor judgment.

Just some suggestions.

I think a DVD on hunting the Dalton is a good idea. I think that a lot of negative expirences happen because the folks hunting the Haul Road have NO IDEA WHAT THEY'RE DOING.

I think you should add a Spring ski hunt section and using the Dalton to access rivers for float hunting.

Maybe make a series of DVDs to cover all hunting oppertunities along the Dalton.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    Yeah....cuz we need more how to videos on hunting Alaska?
    Wow Cub thats kinda a negative take on it isn't it? we need more threads on what gun? what to pack? what bullet? mines bigger then yours, is it to much? not really but each one brings a little bit more to the table for each of us each time.

I think to many of the lets go hunt over here video's are nothing more then professional hunters selling their sponsors products.. they go out and GLAMORIZE the area and the equipment that was REQUIRED to keep them alive. None of it really has to do with hunting... but marketing and popular appeal.

not to mention that each portion of the market has it's own customers. let them pick... the one they can understand the best. there are never to many resources available. for a person who wants to educate them selves on the area..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default ethics

High Country-

What you described is exactly part of the message I wanted to get across. Hunter ethics (while hunting around other hunters) as well as shot selection.

AlaskaCub-

Obviously you are bitter about something here, so let me try to clarify. This is not going to be your average "Alaska how To" DVD. Other than people filming kills, and slopping them on a DVD, exactly what "how to hunt alaska" DVDs are you referring to?

The Dalton Highway places a large amount of people in a relatively small area. It is a unique hunting opportunity but also has unique challenges -- and I feel these challenges need to be addressed in order to give direction to the steady stream of hunters heading up the road....

This video will not be "sponsored" by anyone other than readers/viewer that would like to help solve a problem (send me the videos!). I have no affiliations with any big names, I'm simply a guy that wants to give a little back to a place that I have fond memories of. With any luck the localized pool of interested DVD buyers might cover the time and materials it will take me to make this-but I doubt it.

Positive or negative, I appreciate all the feedback. Keep the thoughts coming!

Dan

Never hunted up there but would like to one day & it sounds like a format I'd enjoy.
    I wil;l say this, as one of the lucky recipients of a DVD of Dan's moose float hunt, I can tell you that if he stays true to character Dan will do it well! Thanks again Dan!!
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default Great Idea, Dan!

Dan,

I think this is a great idea. Have you considered interviewing hunters you encounter up there? Might add another element and you may discover aspects of this that had not occurred to you. Also, getting a few other guys in front of the camera breaks the video up in a good way.

If it were me I would focus on walk-in hunts, and include archery. Save the float hunting angle for another video, as it is a whole different ball game. An other consideration is that float hunting opportunities up there are fairly limited; a video on it might focus too much pressure and could get some folks in trouble. There are certainly some dangers on the river up that way.

Good luck with your project! Sounds like fun!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Interviews

I think filmed interviews would be great! Even with truckers, north slope personell, troopers, etc....however, I am no longer living in Alaska. It might be possible to "recruit" someone to help me out and do some filming.....

Default federal land

if it is fed land you may be required to pull a permit for any video used for public sale....you prob already know that .....

Default haul rd

Dan

Your idea & your heart seem true in your post. I have seen what you have done so far & it was a great job 2 thumbs up for sure. I would support & contribute in any way asked & possible. I am not sure of your timeline but will be doing a haul road hunt in the future.

Dont let any nasayers bother you for they are just that. You have shown a talent & appearent drive to do this & I hope you can!

I have to agree with High Country that the number of hunters along the Dalton is really negatively impacting the "fun factor" of hunting that area. It's obviously not stressing the resource because they just loosened the restrictions on harvesting bulls in the early part of the season. The problem is that within that narrow corridor there's only so much elbow room and it's already standing room only. If I was doing the video I think I'd be brutally honest about what to expect and more importantly what not to expect. Some important things I think you should point out...

1) Caribou are not stupid, and the Central Arctic Herd is probably the best "educated" caribou herd in Alaska. Approaching them in the open is a complete waste of time 99.9% of the time. Hunters that haven't ever hunted the Dalton, and especially hunters that have never hunted caribou seem to have a false impression that caribou are stupid and can easily be approached. All that does is just better educate them for the next guy.

2) Show how few decent parking/camping spots there are close to the road. There's a lot of long stretches of the road where there's hardly any decent places to park and or setup camp close to the road and during peak season they're usually all occupied.

3) Explain just how mobile the caribou are and just how easy it is for them to completely vanish and leave that big country completely devoid of life.

4) Explain that you often have to get a long ways off the road to find solitude. I've met a lot of really disappointed people in Deadhorse that were really put off by the fact that there seemed to be other hunters on every hill, pingo, or parka squirrel mound out there. Company is pretty much a constant if you're going to hunt within a mile of the road.

5) Don't forget to show how hard it is to hike the tundra. Show somebody stumbling and staggering their way through the tussocks. That's another factor that newbies always underestimate.

6) Make sure to stress the importance of parking OFF the road!!! If you can't park there, don't stop.

As important as hunter ethics are, I don't honestly know how much help it would be in a video. I honestly think that the people that are out spoiling stalks and parking on top of other people are just genuinely inconsiderate people. I don't think watching a video is going to change them.

I don't think you're going to do anybody any favors if you try to sugar coat the hunting along the Dalton. You don't have to be a downer about it, but by being brutally honest you can help the motivated hunters get truly prepared and hopefully at the same time shy some of the rif-raf away from doing a hunt that they might incorrectly perceive as easy. All those guys do is bumble around and screw it up for everyone else, so there's no point in trying to encourage them.

I spend a lot of time on the north end of the Dalton so I could probably help you if you needed any specific footage. You take care of the permits though.

Jeff

Someone else already stated how most of the hunting shows on the market today focus on the kill aspect only. I am sick of these shows myself. In my eyes a hunting DVD that is a how to video has already beat most of the competition.

I would pay more for your hunting DVD where I could learn a new trick, then watch a corn fed trophy animal get blasted next to a corn feeder.

You are not the North Slope ethical advocate. It is not your job to teach ethics to people. If you chose to put in ethics it is up to you, but I do not want to watch an hour long ethics video. A couple blurbs about why you park where you do or why you did not stalk an animal because of other hunters is sufficient in my mind. This part of ethics is just a part of the hunt.

You have a dream to bring a hunt that you truely enjoy to fellow hunters. You want to teach others how to enjoy the great North Slope as you do. I wish you the best of luck in your creation.

What kind of camera do you plan on using?

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Wow Cub thats kinda a negative take on it isn't it?

Yup I have negative take on it all right! I dont understand what the purpose of the video is other than to encourage more hunters to come hunt the haul road that may have before seeing the video not done so because of the unknowns (which there really arent many). Theres no secret to hunting the haul road or bou for that matter, and if you can shoot a bow well, and have a clue (hunting sense), you will kill a Caribou if you spend a little time at it. I quit hunting the haul road in 2004 for Caribou. Theres just too many people hunting it anymore , and it no longer was the fun hunt it once was. Hence the increase in traffic outside the corridor via river boat, air boat, planes and in some case Ford and Dodge trucks!..grin

Thumbs down $.02

I think that a DVD on hunting the Dalton would just turn it into "Combat Bowhunting". everyone and their cousins would all think that they knew what they were doing now that they had watched a DVD on it and blow the dust off of thier 20 year old bow and head on up to Alaska where you can kill caribou off of the road.

I think that if you want to do an informative DVD, do it about hunting caribou in alaska in general, not necissarly hunting the dalton, and them maybe put a part in there about the Dalton.

really, its my honest opion. I just think that all of our secret places up here are starting to become less of a secret.

Thats essentially what I was trying to say, theres already too damm many hunters up there, do you want more? Guys that have hunted up there 20 times arent going to buy the video, guys that havent hunted up there will. So what does that equate to.......

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    Thats essentially what I was trying to say, theres already too damm many hunters up there, do you want more? Guys that have hunted up there 20 times arent going to buy the video, guys that havent hunted up there will. So what does that equate to.......

So i guess that i should start pissing a fit because back in 1980 when we got our land in clear. and HARDLY anyone knew about the Rex trail... that there are more people coming and that a bunch of them want a road.

OH WAIT i can't it's not mine.....

or that 20+ years ago ferry trails had 3-4 people hunting it and now i have 70+ visitors a year at my mining camp...

oh yeah not mine either....

Or that i helped dad and his friends brush a trail up baldy mt off shwald rd as a kid... and soon every one was hunting there that lived in wasilla... BTW Lucile street was a power line then, not a road...

or that i should piss a fit because i used to drive truck up the haul road WHEN CAR WERE NOT ALLOWED 20 years ago...there was a gate at the bottom of attigun and um you needed a permit to pass. until the mid 1990's or so... so tell me about NOT IN MY BACK YARD thats not yours or mine to say.

meet on face book here

I dont hunt the Haul Rd for bou anymore, I am not attempting to keep anything secret. I just believe that these videos and books telling people everything they need to know from wiping their butt to saying bless you when someone sneezes only aids to the already increasing pressure we are seeing state wide. Hundreds upon hundreds of hunters flock to the North Slope each fall in search of bou, the ones that have done it are not going to buy a video on how to do it, the ones that havent will. Most of the problems that arise from that hunt are based on the fact that theres too damm many people up there. Ethics will not be taught in a video to those who lack them. Oh and a heads up, business is booming on the North Slope for this Spring, expect lots more semi traffic than normal, which just adds a nice little spin to the madness. I'll keep my mouth shut for the rest of this thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast