Thread: 09 Bearcat Z-1 XT

Default 09 Bearcat Z-1 XT

Well it has finially arrived! My new 09 Bearcat Z-1.

First response is I love it! I am a little aprehensive I have to admit about the floatation, cold starting, and reliability but I did research about everything out there that is close to a utility machine and I have made my decision.

It rides like a Caddy, and I have taken it around town over two and three feet soft snow drifts. I have to say it does seem to just float over the snow in both fwd and rev.

I did get the winch, have some Kold Kutters on the way, and for cold start problems I have ordered the remote start kit that you can program to start the machine automatically when the outside temp drops below -4. Hope my theory works.

Very anxious to get it broken in so I can do some work and I look forward to posting more (hopefully in a positive light) in the future. I don't think there is enough said about the utility line of snowmobiles.

Thanks to all you that gave me advise... Hope it pans out.

I haven't ridden the Bearcat version, but I have been on the Touring version that uses that same engine. I was very impressed and I think you will be really happy. I hated to see the 660 Turbo go, but now that I've ridden this one I won't worry about it. The 570XT is also really nice for those that don't want a 4-stroke. I rode the 570 for a couple miles and the ride position and comfort was the best I've felt on a work sled.

The chassis, Diamond drive (no chaincase), and ride position will prove to be very good things in the utility market. Kudos to Cat for recognizing this and hopefully starting a new trend in improved work sleds.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default Bearcat 570 XT

I just bought a Bearcat 570 XT. Did a 150 mile river trip for break in. Got the large rack for the back which pins in with 4 pins. Will leave the 2up seat at the cabin for when we go cabin hopping. The gas tank holds 17.5 gallons and rides better than the skandic SWT. We will see how it holds up to freighting. The price is 4K cheaper than the 4stroke AC and the Skandic.

Default Know what ya mean

Yeah I really tossed around the 570 version for weight and price reasons but I have always had 4 strokes and I didn't want to go (excuse the expression) backwards. I am probably one of the only people nuts enough to use 4 strokes in bush Alaska but I really like to gas mileage, no smell, etc. I also looked at Ski-Doo's the (SWT & Scandic) liked things about those as well and are probably good machines but ultimately I believe the AC BC had more to offer. Also I did some research and the SD's already had some serious recalls and it kind of turned me off. Not that the AC won't also have recalls down the road.

I have always had Yammies my first being the RX-1 and I still have an Attak that I really like but even that machine just seems quite different from my new Bearcat. The power in the Bearcat seems so much smoother and the reverse seems really choppy when engaged but in the Bearcat really smooth power. Also even though the Yamahas are lighter the Bearcat seems to be easier to handle so far.

I think you will really like the 570 XT as the 2 stroke version of the Bearcat XT machine.

Make sure you post frequently as you do some more work with your machine and I will do the same. If you can try and remember to keep track of your MPG as well.
    Last edited by truth2ak; 12-11-2008 at 12:05. Reason: Needed to add two points

Can you give me a little help?

As I stated I just got my machine put about 2 miles on it and noticed that there was quite a bit of fluid/oil/lubricant of some type laying on the belly pan directly under the ACT drive. Dried it up and there it is again. Did you notice anything like that with your machine? Or got any ideas? I live in rural AK and cant just take it into the dealer. Ya know.

I almost bought a new Bearcat XT but ended up going with the Tundra LT 550 instead. The decision was a tough one , but the size difference between the two was the selling point for me, those Bearcats are big and heavy.

I had the bearcat 660 turbo for a short time and it was a hell of a work machine, but I tried to get off trail a bit with it and that was all it took. Its perfect for hauling heavy loads and the comfort is great, but I realized I needed more of a sport utility machine for exploring so I ended up going to the new Tundra LT as well. After the first quick trip with it I can tell you I made the right choice for me. I might miss the pulling power later, but I think the 550F will work well for my needs. For any of you with the new bearcats I have a new factory cover I will be looking to sell.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Question Let me know!!

Just pick up a new VK today ! Where did you get the remote start?
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe
    ALASKA'S Winter Park Cabins
    To boldly make trail where no man has gone before!!!

The remote starts are only available for Arctic cat right now as far as I know. I could be wrong. I had one on mine I bought from Mountain magic. The yamaha dealer should be able to let you know if one is availablefor the Viking. If not, you can also get a regular auto remote start to work. Here is a thread I found on someone adapting remote starts on yammys

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.p...e60792af47fca1

Default New Bearcat is very different than the 660 turbo.

I am not sure how or if I can explain this but The new Bearcat XT is no 660 Turbo. Just somthing about it makes it feel smaller and I do not know why. It is bigger, and even heavier but it rides, floats, and climbs lighter. Something about the tilt and location of the engine combined with that t-spar chassis it is just very much bigger smaller if that makes any scense. As far as the comparison to the Tundra LT I am not sure how that compares as a 2 stroke was never really a big consideration for me. But I can tell you that when compared to the tundra and Scandic SWT with the V800 I reall like the smooth power of the Bearcat and it can turn on a dime. Just observations thus far. Oh and one more thing. I have purposly gone in 2 and 3 ft of soft snow to test the floatation and it just floated like it was supposed to be there. In forward and reverse.

I am not brand loyal either. If I find out at any point that itis a piece of junk or even somthing negative about the machine I will post that as well.

I am still having a little problem with the excess fluid resting on the bottom of the belly pan but after late observation and checking fluid levels etc. I think the dealer put 1/2 quart or so too much oil in the machine and it is coming out of the dipstick cap. I am going to check it in the morning and if it still shows at the same place that it did on the full mark I am going to drain 1/2 a quart of oil. clean the belly pan again and run it some more.
    Last edited by truth2ak; 12-12-2008 at 00:44. Reason: One more thing

The fluid could be out of the diamond drive system. This fluid would be a thiner viscosity than the crank case oil i think. Check the level in the drive.

Quote Originally Posted by truth2ak View Post
    Oh and one more thing. I have purposly gone in 2 and 3 ft of soft snow to test the floatation and it just floated like it was supposed to be there. In forward and reverse.

I am not brand loyal either. If I find out at any point that itis a piece of junk or even somthing negative about the machine I will post that as well.
    I would be interested in hearing your reports as you get use to the machine. I didnt have any problems going through deep snow with mine, it had great flotation. In rutted or off camber situations, however, it wanted to pull or push me into situations I did not want to be in. It just felt like I was constantly fighting the machine when I was breaking trail with it. There were lots of burried logs and some atv ruts on off camber stuff that was a real pain. I just needed a lighter sled. I am definitely not brand loyal. I have a 06 550 trail rmk, the 09 Tundra LT, and a 99 Bearcat 440f LT along with two yamaha quads and an arctic cat quad.

Default Test rode XT Bearcat

I got a chance to use Northern Power Sports 09 Bearcat XT demo machine. I used it for four days working on the Yukon Quest trail. It was studded up and had electric plug-ins. It also had the 2-up seat removed and a Hugh rack installed on the rear.

First impressions: Big & heavy, clunky motor motor sound at idle.

Impressive power- At any time it will pull the skis of the ground. Studs are a plus, which I would insist on. (canít stud a VK) Slight hesitation on bottom end.

Ride- Smooth and stable. I had some time on its little brother short tract Z-1 last year. It gave me the feeling I could go anywhere. I had to remember itís the same size track on an Indy wide track and yes you can get it stuck. B.Y. S. bring your shovel because you canít lift it. It was all I could do to lift the back end up in the shop to put it on the dolly.

Motor- Any doubts quickly left after a short ride. Good sounding strong engine that never overheated. Let it idle all day.

Other likes- 17 gallon tank (Alaska is a gas game), adjustable head lights, Hot grips at idle, tunnel clearance for studs, hugh rear rack, possibility of Command start and the dealers service.

If you pull a groomer this is a must have machine! I may own one within the year???
    $$$$$.00

Just got a recall on the 570 . Torque bracket retainer in the driven clutch. It goes on to say it is critical and of the utmost importance to get it fixed ASAP.

Default Tundra 550F

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    I almost bought a new Bearcat XT but ended up going with the Tundra LT 550 instead. The decision was a tough one , but the size difference between the two was the selling point for me, those Bearcats are big and heavy.
    Good choice, I looked at the new bearcat also as I bought a new one in 2007. Due to the weight I choose the 550 Tundra LT for our work maching and purchase 2. Took them out today and instantly loved it. I wish I would have waited for this LT 550 for myself. Oh well my 7 year old needs a machine so am thinking might get me the new tundra LT also and give my 7 year old the bear cat. Most of the 1000 Miles on it are his anyways.