Thread: zoom dial tight

Default zoom dial tight

I just bought a new Leupold scope 3x9 power. When spinning the dial for zoom from 3 to 9 the dial is super tight. I actually have to use both hands to get it to spin. Is there a way to loosen this or should I just call Leupold to see if it is defective. It is brand new. I've tried spinning it back and forth a bunch to see if it will loosen but it is remaining the same.

Talking Same problem

I just put a Leupold VX1 on a new gun and the zoom is very tight. I think that must just be the way they are. I love the scope, but does take a little work to change the power.

I believe those scopes with the super tight adjustment are flawed. Send them back and get another. I have had a few and they are just too tight.
    gary

Default Leupold scope

I agree with 8nbait, if the ring doesn't loosen up with a few twists, call Leupold. This should be a no -questions -asked return. They have a great return / repair policy, even if you are not the original owner. Their phone #800-538-7653. Mark

I have sent 3 scopes back to leupold over the years. Never had to pay a dime and the turnaround was fast.

OK,my VXIII 1.75-6x32 is the only Leupold I've ever bought new. I've got 6. Ain't looking good for Leupold for me to have to return a brand new scope for a repair but this power ring is way too tight. I've read ALOT of posts about this problem. I only used it a few times this season and never in real cold weather. Can't imagine what that ring would be to turn if it was real cold. Guess I'll pack it up. I'm not even worried about Leupolds repair service.

til later

Quote Originally Posted by 300S&W View Post
    OK,my VXIII 1.75-6x32 is the only Leupold I've ever bought new. I've got 6. Ain't looking good for Leupold for me to have to return a brand new scope for a repair but this power ring is way too tight. I've read ALOT of posts about this problem. I only used it a few times this season and never in real cold weather. Can't imagine what that ring would be to turn if it was real cold. Guess I'll pack it up. I'm not even worried about Leupolds repair service.

til later

That's exactly why I sent my scopes back. I explained I sometimes hunt in -40f temps and the power ring will not move. I was told they could use a different lubricant and it would be fine. Ever since then, my scopes have all worked flawlessly, regardless of the temperature.

Default Kenai

how did you package and ship your scope so that it wasnt damaged? Did the factory have any preference?

Thanks,
    Jason

I shipped mine back in their original boxes and then wrapped them in brown paper. Really no trouble at all.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I had a VX II 2x7 with that problem, the power ring was hard to turn. Leupold said they could fix it, so I sent it to them, and when I got it back, it was still hard to turn.

I gave it away.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.