Thread: Best month for Salmon sharks

Default Best month for Salmon sharks

My wife is the fisherperson in the family and she wants to go shark fishing next summer. Whats the best month? Do the tides matter? Whats the best port Seward or Whitter? Tell me some good experiences with charters please.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

If your really serious about catchiing a salmion shark, you should really consider Valdez.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

She wants one of those big ones in the Salt Water Safari ads.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

In Valdez end of June to first week September. The sharks come in with the salmon. I have also seen them in early May my guess they where feeding on kings.

Our shark episode was shot in early July using a boat from Orca Adventure Lodge. I commercial fished PWS for years and wrestled with these sharks in our nets quite often.

I prefer leaving out of Valdez or Cordova and working the east side of PWS - PM me for locations. Bob/w Saltwater Safari generates the press for the Seward charters and may run the largest operation there. No idea where he fishes but it would be a long run across the sound to east PWS. I would think he works water closer to Seward. Whittier I havenít a clue.

Salmon Sharks have an interesting seasonal migration pattern ranging from California to the Bering Sea and mainly feed on salmon (a lot of pinks) and herring. Try late June through early September especially on even numbered years when pink salmon supposedly return in larger numbers to PWS.

Personally I have never tried Salmon shark but I hear you either like it or donít. Some soak it in milk before cooking and bleeding it immediately upon catching to pump out all the urea before it dies is most important so make sure you hook up w/a charter thatís experienced in processing shark.

Try Fish Central in Valdez to hook you up with someone. http://www.fishcentral.net/

Good luck!
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Default Catch & Release?

I have fished for the salmon sharks on two different charters. We caught lots of sharks both times. We killed the smallest one on the first trip, and none of us were very impressed with the eating quality, although we eventually got through all of it. I have heard from some other folks that they liked the meat pretty well, however.

98% of the salmon sharks caught in Alaska are females. They aren't an animal that reproduces in large numbers, and large species sharks in general don't reach reproductive maturity for a long time. My point is this: I recommend taking video and lots of digital pics of the fight and of bringing the shark to the boat, and then releasing them. (Make sure you request non-stainless steel hooks from your charter service in advance of your trip, and let them know you intend to release the sharks). It is very expensive to have a skin mount made, and most taxidermists are inexperienced with sharks. Their skin requires special handling and processes to achieve a good mount. The fiberglass replicas which can be made from your pictures actually cost less, and remain beautiful for a very long time.

Please don't misunderstand--I am a big "catch and filet" proponent in general. I just don't like to see the trophy animals of any kind get killed and then the meat wasted. That is my only gripe with grizzly/brown bear hunting--the meat is generally wasted, and I gather that it isn't very good to eat in most cases. I don't judge anyone else's decisions on this, only my own. I just hope we hunters and fishers make our decisions thoughtfully and respectfully.

After all that, I can tell you that you will be awed and terrified when you hook up with a salmon shark. They are very large, and all muscle. It is somewhat akin to hooking a Corvette and then having the driver dump the clutch at full throttle with you tied to it. Don't be fastened to the rod and reel unless you are safety-tied into the boat. We came really close to having one of our party on the first expedition jerked overboard. That would be a very bad deal.

As an earlier post mentioned, the sharks come in larger numbers on the even years, following the big pink salmon runs in. The eastern part of Prince William Sound gets a lot of them, and so does the area south and west of Seward around Nuka Bay. Cordova is my favorite staging spot for shark fishing, but fun times can be had from Valdez, Whittier, and Seward as well.

Good Luck and Good Fishing!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    If your really serious about catchiing a salmion shark, you should really consider Valdez.
    She wants one of those big ones in the Salt Water Safari ads.
    I went on a shark hunt with Salt Water Safari.

I also recommend Valdez.

Default Ditto what Mark said

I went on a shark hunt with Salt Water Safari's. Go to Valdez.

Default Orion charters

Orion charters in Valdez does very well shark fishing. Dave is hardcore and I would take a look at his website and talk to others about his operation. I think you will find that he has a very good reputation. Book early, he fills up fast.

Chuck

Default Alaska Offshore

My son and I have gone out with Alaska Offshore Charters out of Seward and had great times. It can be a long run but well worth it. They are leaning more and more toward catch and release which I feel is good. They will try to keep one and split the meat. I think the meat is excellant!!! But it does need to be taken care of properly on the boat.

Thanks to everyone so far that has responded. Keep the recommendations coming. Rep for all once I get a full Rep clip tommorrow
    Unknown author