Thread: fogging up problem

Default fogging up problem

On cold damp days I always have problems with my scope and binocs fogging up while I am trying to look through them. Some is from my body heat making them fog up. Is there anything that prevents this??? I have tried antifog and didn't work, then when I went to wipe off the lens it smeared and made it worse. Anyone having a good solution to this would really be appreciated. Thanks.

Default Fogging

Did'nt Mario Andretti from Nazareth PA advertize a product for windshields?

I've tried several products, but none of them have worked to my satisfaction. I have found that the solution is basic and simple...hold your binoculars further from your face (seriously...I'm not trying to be a wise guy).

If you're talking about cold wx/winter use, collapse the eye cups (eyeglasses wearer position) and hold them further out so that the eyecups don't touch your occular orbit. Make sure that your breath is vented so that it does not exit near the eyecups, e.g., wearing something that covers your mouth will require your breath to exit closer to the eyecups, which is not good. Also, if I am exerting before trying to glass, then I make sure that I tilt my hat back while looking through my binoculars. In cold wx, your body is venting heat/moisture anywhere that there is a place to vent it. Heat/moisture and cold glass don't mix well.

...I know all of this may sound totally whacko, but I have very good glass (Leica) and these strategies work just fine for me...if I remember to follow them.

Doc

Default Bushnell Rainguard

I've had the fogging problem at times myself. Although I love Leupold optics, I've replaced a couple of rifle scopes and a pair of binos in the last couple of years to take advantage of Rainguard. Really makes a difference for fogging and rain. If I had had these scopes for the last 20 years I would have taken another animal or two.

The fog is caused by condensation which is caused by cool glass meeting warm air emitted from your body.
    There is really nothing that can be done to prevent it but there are things you can do to limit it. A couple of suggestions include trying your best not to breath on the scope lens. Keeping your bino's inside your coat until you use them will keep them warmer and also help to decrease the fogging.
    Tennessee

I haven't tried it yet but I met a guy (who hasn't "met a guy" with the answer?) who swore by the automotive & marine prduct "Rain-X" antifog for windshield interiors. I use their rain coating on windshield exteriors & it works great so maybe this stuff will work as advertised too.

I had determined that my next scope would be a new Leupold, but Buck & some others have my thinking Bushnell 3200 Elite now...
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Spit and a soft cloth.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com