Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jetboil Stoves

Default Jetboil Stoves

I am thinking about buying one of these for hunting I mostly eat freeze dried meals, oat meal, mac n cheese, ramen, and the most important food group coffee. I have read mixed reviews from the websites I looked at so I thought I would post it here and see what your thoughts are.... Thanks

Default MSR Reactor ...

is competitor worth considering. Jetboils are very popular though.

I have one and like it. In my opinion it is the perfect stove for 3 season use. If the temps are going to be under 0 then I would take a whisper lite international instead. The liquid fuel is tops when the temps get low!

I've never cared much for canister stoves but they seem to have come a long way. Lots of guys sure seem to like the Jetboil. I started crunching numbers and figure for the same length trip, if I get a JetBoil I'll dump 2 lbs of weight over my MSR XGK and fuel. That's pretty significant. The other option is the MSR pocket rocket, a buddy of mine just bought one and I think AKCub and a few other guys here have them. But that JetBoil seems very efficient. I'm thinking I'm going to have to get one.

Default after using many types...

of stoves, I bought a jet boil and won't look back. It is the real deal. The fuel canister and stove fit right inside the container for storage. For me, it is the real deal.

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    of stoves, I bought a jet boil and won't look back. It is the real deal. The fuel canister and stove fit right inside the container for storage. For me, it is the real deal.
    +1. Used the heck out of mine this year. Extremely fuel friendly and fast to boil. I'm pouring boiling water into my mountain house bag usually before I would have got my whisper lite primed and warmed up.

However, like LuJon stated, if its 0 or below liquid fuel is king.

good stove, i found that in colder temps (even the 30s), fuel consumption is greater then my primus canister stove. others i know have had the same experience with fuel consumption.

I also have used the Jetboil on several hunts and it did a great job. I did purchase the Reactor for this years sheep hunt. I took both!

The Jetboil was taken for a back up and left in the tent and not used. The Jetboil packs very well and is smaller than the Reactor and I also like the fact you don't need a lighter/match. It only boils enough water for one.

Between the two of them I would purchase the Reactor. It boils enough water for 2 hunters and it gets the water boiling in half the time. Either are better than the whisperlite or dragonfly.

I also sleep with my fuel. It does work better if the fuel isn't so cold.
    Troy
    Last edited by tv321; 12-10-2008 at 23:32. Reason: adding more info

Default Jetboil

I have used JetBoils since they first came out, primarily for the weight and space savings and the ease of operation. IMO, Jetboil is the best of the cannister stoves and I have used quite a few different other makes and models to include Primus, Coleman, MSR, Optimus, Brunton, Snowpeak and Trangia. If you are weight conscious as I am, Jetboil and its unique self-contained system is ideal. With the addition of a Titanium spork and your hunting knife, that is all the camp kitchen you need, especially when you're carrying your home on your back. Jetboils are really only adequate for sustained solo use. Other drawbacks are there can be some issues with Hazmat (cannisters) and flight rules. Also, replacement fuel cannisters aren't readily available in remote locations. Now for cold weather use liquid fuel (white gas) stove with preheat paste is the way to go.

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

Default Jetboil is an excellent stove for moderate temps

I usually use an alcohol stove for long backpacking trips, but last summer a friend of mine joined me for a week or so on a long hike and had a Jetboil. It worked great.

Light and boiled water fast. Adjustable. Built in igniter.

I could tell it was efficient because I could comfortably put my hand directly over the cooking cup.

Nice built in "cozy" to keep your food hot longer and save fuel.

Compact. Everything nests neatly.

Worked perfectly. In cold weather, say below 20 degrees or so, they can be harder to get going, but that can be remedied by warming the cartridge in your pocket and/or lighting the burner by hand.

I was impressed!

Love my Jetboil, used it all year long with no issues.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default I use mine.

I use mine a ton. Love the french press for that first cup of coffee in the morning. Its fast and the coffee knock your socks off. Ive used mine down to about -20 and its not as efficient but neither am I at that temp.

byrd

Default thumbs up

Here's another positive review for the jetboil. My only complaint about canisters is that you always have used ones sitting around, because who wants to pack an unknown amount of fuel. I also like how the burner and pot lock together- it is all one connected unit and you do not have to balance anything. It is light, compact, and quick to boil.

I enjoy mine a great deal. I've only had issues down at 0 or below- takes a long time and the burner tends to flare liquid. I generally have to hold it in my hand on put it on a hot pack down that cold.

For foot hunting on milder temps its pretty darn fabulous...

If I only had one stove (which I do) it would be a white gas stove due to traveling, fuel avialability, cold weather function etc. However, for three season use, those canister stoves are pretty tempting. We did have some trouble with my friend's stove at around 30F. For three season use though they are hard to beat.

The cannister stoves are great for simmering and cooking. Good control over the heat. Drawback is you can't fly with the fuel containers and they can be very hard to find. Especially on remote trips. Also, not the best in really cold temps. The Jetboil is a good model and very popular. I have MSR Windpro and Pocket Rocket. Both awesome stoves. Keeping the isobutane cannister in your bag at night is a good tip. If you are not flying to locations to hunt and will not be hunting in sub 30 degree temps, I say go for it. Just depends on your usage.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

On my last hunt, my jet boil was killing me. The lowest temp we saw was about 15 above (F). I'm not 100%, but I am pretty sure I had some boil times that were close to 5 minutes. I plan on getting my butt in gear and doing some testing at various temperatures this winter. This might just be a problem with my stove, but if I can't get this thing working better, I'll be looking for something that works as advertised.

On a few earlier hunts, the stove worked fine, but it wasn't nearly that cold. When I get things figured out, I'll post back here again.

Default I bought one for the Haul Road hunt this year

I used to use a colman peak one. Did pretty well but never used it much other than for bear baiting honey burns. I noticed even while out hunting on the boat in PWS in the winter I still ate out of the cooler just because it was simpler.

So I picked up a Jet Boil from Mark Taylor at Wiggy's. Nice thing about buying locally is the advice you get and he was cheaper than most places still. I used this new stove like crazy and am still on the first canister of fuel. Have boiled two cups of water every time for at least 12 times. So much faster than my other stove it is not even funny.

So what I was told to do by Mark Taylor when it gets cold. Keep a canister of fuel on you to keep it warm. Sure it won't be as fuel efficeint but still better than most anything else. Then if you forget to do keep a can on you, like I do most of the time. He told me to put on once of water in the cup. Turn on the stove and get it hot. Unscrew the cannister of fuel and put in the cup and put the lid on it for a bit. Heats up the cannister nicely and fast. Then scew it back on add the water and light sucker! Worked good on the Haul Road. Was down below freezing anyways and that tricked worked nicely. My dad and heck even I am still amazed at how fast it works and you can use in the vehicle with just a window cracked to get the steam out!

So to sum it up. I eat a lot more hot meals when out. Which makes for a better hunt and happy camper! Best part is going to bed with hot meal in my belly.

been using the same jet boil for about five years now i think, saved me a pile of money in fuel compared to using the pocketrocket style stoves.
    Cold weather, i add about an inch of water in the jetboil and heat that, then slowly pour it on my fuel can....wallaa she's burnign like a champ. other ideas like sleeping with the fuel is great, but takin' a leak on the can is probably the best thing i've found for quick stove starts in the AM.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Another thumbs up for Jetboil. Never had an issue with mine and it sees use year around.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast